This spicy Curried Paleo Butternut Squash Soup is so creamy you’ll never believe it’s healthy, whole30 compliant, vegan and gluten and dairy free!
Just to continue my whole theory that the Fall is the season for ethnicy-flavours, I present you with vegan coconut curry soup.
Even if you oppose my flavor theory, there is no way in this entire universe that you can oppose that soup is a good idea for the Fall. It just is, and everyone knows that.
Did I mention that is has butternut squash? Ya’ll know how I feel about squash of any kind. I <3 it with all my being. Especially when it’s turned into a steaming bowl of Moroccan roasted acorn squash soup, kabocha squash soup in the slow cooker, or even a Curried Butternut Squash Salad. Throw in some stuffed butternut squash and you’re good to go.
Seriously, the squash love RUNS DEEP.
Plus, It is the perfect vegetable for the fall. You’ve probably seen it hanging out in the grocery store and asked yourself what to do with a big old squash and, well, NOW YOU KNOW.
Paleo Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients
Nothing beats soup on a cold and rainy day, am I right or am I right!? A big ol’ bowl of dairy free vegan cauliflower soup or some classic chicken zoodle soup will do the trick! Well, today’s soup will bring you ALL the cozy feels with its rich flavor, creamy texture, and healthy ingredients to boot- introducing my dairy free butternut squash soup! The ingredients are good for you but don’t skimp on the flavor either. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Butternut Squash
- Coconut Oil
- White Onion
- Sodium-reduced Chicken Broth (or veggie broth)
- Yellow Curry Powder
- Light Coconut Milk
- Cilantro for garnish
How to make Butternut Squash Soup
Not only is this soup downright delicious and bursting with rich flavor, it’s also simple to put together. It’s one of our go-to soups around here and I guarantee it’s going to be one of your new fave paleo butternut squash recipes too!
Set your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit and let it preheat fully. Chop your squash into 2 inch chunks and toss them with melted coconut in a bowl.
Spread the squash evenly on a large baking sheet and bake 30-35 minutes or until fork tender.
While the squash is roasting, heat up the remaining coconut oil in a pan over medium high heat. Roughly chop up the onions and garlic and sautee in the pan until soft, about 3 minutes.
Add in 4 cups of chicken broth, salt, curry powder, and roasted squash and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat a bit and allow the mixture to simmer until the squash starts to break down, which should take approximately 10 minutes. Press down on the squash to help break it down with the back of a wooden spoon, and stir it to combine.
Using a blender, puree the soup until smooth. You will need to do it in batches, or you can use an immersion blender if you happen to have one on hand!
Pour the soup back into the pot and stir in the coconut milk. Serve, garnish with cilantro, and DEVOUR!
What to serve with Butternut Squash Soup
This delicious and creamy soup shines all on its own with a rich, roasted flavor throughout and a creamy and satisfying texture! If you want to serve something on the side, go for it! Gluten Free Grilled Cheese Hummus Sandwiches with Pumpkin would pair beautifully with this soup, or add some greens with a pomegranate persimmon salad to finish it off!
Butternut Squash Soup FAQ
What makes this Butternut Squash Soup paleo?
The Paleo diet avoids grains, dairy, beans and legumes, and refined sugars, so you’re in luck! This paleo butternut squash soup contains none of these ingredients but rather uses squash for sweetness and texture, coconut milk in place of heavy cream, and other tasty spices for flavor!
Can I use a different squash?
If you want to try this recipe but don’t have a butternut squash, feel free to use a different hearty winter squash in place of it. I recommend acorn or kabocha squash!
Can I double the batch?
This is a great soup to make ahead of time, so feel free to double (or triple) the batch and enjoy this soup all week long!
How to freeze soup?
This butternut squash soup freezes really well. To freeze, store it in ziploc freezer bags or an airtight freezer safe container with a tight lid!
Other Healthy Squash Recipes
Paleo Butternut Squash Soup with Curry
- 1 Medium butternut squash peeled and seeded, (2- 2.5lbs)
- 3 Tbsps Coconut oil, melted
- 2 Cups White onion, roughly chopped
- 1.5 Tbsps Garlic, diced
- 4 Cups Sodium-reduced chicken broth (or veggie for vegan version)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2.5 Tsps Yellow curry powder
- 3/4 Cup Light coconut milk
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop the squash into 2 inch chunks and toss with 2 Tbsps. of melted coconut oil.
- Spread the squash evenly on a baking sheet, and bake for 30-35 minutes, until fork tender.
- While the squash roasts, roughly chop the onion and garlic and heat the remaining 1 Tbsps. of melted coconut oil in alarge panover medium heat.
- Sautee the onion and garlic until they are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add in 4 cups of chicken broth, salt, curry powder and the roasted squash. Simmer until the squash begins to break down, about 10 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, break down the squash and mix until it is well combined.
- In batches, transfer the soup to a blender (or you could use an immersion blender) and puree until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and stir in the 3/4 cup of coconut milk.
- Garnish with cilantro and devour!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!