This Pomegranate Persimmon Salad is bright and colorful with persimmons, feta and a honey balsamic vinaigrette. A quick and easy, healthy salad!
PIN Pomegranate Persimmon Salad
Honestly, have you ever seen a prettier looking salad?
I can’t lie though, I used my secret weapon: Pomegranate seeds.
Whenever I want to make something really photogenic (which usually happens when I take picture of a bunch of brown food like dairy free paleo casserole or cheeseburger spaghetti squash casserole and want to cry) I just sprinkle pomegranate seeds on it.
Hey, it worked for the baked balsamic goat cheese stuffed chicken and my favorite kale salad recipe, so why not THIS salad?
What is a persimmon?
You know those foods, particularly fruits and veggies, that you buy all the time because you love them? You know you can count on them because you know the texture, you know the flavor, you know what they pair well with and what they don’t. I’m a creature of habit, believe me, but sometimes branching out is SO good, like with PERSIMMONS. What are they though?? A persimmon is a berry that comes from edible fruit trees that are native to China and Japan.
What does a persimmon taste like?
A big reason why I like to include these tasty little fruits in this salad is because they’re sweet and delicious! They kind of taste like apricots, with a smooth texture similar to pudding. Intrigued!? You totally NEED to give them a try in your salads if you haven’t already!
Just like in Coconut milk quinoa fruit salad, Fresh corn and mango salad, and Blackberry Vegan Chickpea salad sandwiches, I am ALL ABOUT adding fun fruits to salads for that pop of color and burst of flavor!
What can I use other than Persimmon?
Want to whip up this Persimmon Pomegranate Salad but you don’t have access to persimmons or simply want to use something else in their place? No biggie- you totally can play around with the recipe and add something else instead! Plums, dates, pears or apples would also pair beautifully with the flavors represented in this salad!
Pomegranate Persimmon Salad Ingredients
When putting together a salad, I’m all about jazzing it up with all sorts of fun toppings! Toppings with varying textures and flavors can really make a salad memorable and make you actually WANT to eat salad instead of feeling like you SHOULD. I love adding nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies, and sauces to keep my salads FUN! For this persimmon fruit salad, you will need:
- Toasted Pecans
- Pomegranate Arils
- Spring mix or lettuce of choice
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
- Cooked, sliced Chicken Breast
- Pomegranate Juice
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
How to Make Pomegranate Persimmon Salad
This salad is going to have you addicted and I guarantee you’ll be SUCH a fan of Persimmon salad recipes once you give it a whirl! Here’s how you make this salad:
Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Once the oven is ready, put in the pan with pecans and let them toast for 8-10 minutes. You will know when they’re done because of that amazing toasty smell!
Tackle the Pomegranate
On a plastic cutting board so the juice doesn’t stain a wooden one, cut your pomegranate in half by slicing it straight down on either side of the bump on top of the pomegranate. Cut each half again, so that you have four quarters. Taking one quarter at a time, invert it over a bowl and scrape out as many seeds as you can. Next, pick out the seeds that didn’t easily come out and drain the juice into a small bowl for later on.
Rinse and Remove
Fill the bowl with the pomegranate seeds with cold water, so that the water covers the seeds. Bits of skin from the seeds should float to the top, and you can remove them with a spoon or your fingers. Repeat this a few times until the seeds are clean. Drain and set aside.
Prepare the Salad
Put your lettuce in a large bowl. Slice the onions and avocado and add them to the bowl. Slice the persimmons in half and remove the leafy part and the hard inner core. Slice each half into thin slices and add to the salad. Add in the feta, chicken, and pomegranate arils and toss to combine.
In a small bowl, add the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk until well combined. Add the dressing to the salad and toss until evenly coated.
Divide this tasty salad between two plates and enjoy!
Other Healthy High Protein Salad Recipes
- 1/4 Cup Pecans toasted
- 1/2 Cup Pomegranate arils
- 6 Cups Spring mix, or lettuce of choice
- 2/3 Cup Red onion, sliced
- 1 Small avocado, sliced (about 1/2 sliced)
- 2 Small persimmons sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 Cup Feta cheese
- 1 Large chicken breast chopped (about 8 oz)
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 Cup Pomegranate juice
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 tsps Olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the pecans on the prepared baking sheet and toast until brown and "toasted" smelling (you'll be able to tell.) About 8-10 minutes, watch careful so they do not burn.
- While the nuts toast, it's time to tackle the pomegranate.
- Place a large knife just to the right or left of the bump on the top and slice straight down, cutting the pomegranate in half. Note: Cut it on a plastic cutting board so that the juice does not stain a nice, wooden one.
- Now, cut each half in half again, leaving you with quarters.
- Take one quarter at a time and invert it over a large bowl and scrape out as many of the seeds as possible. Once finished, turn it right side up and get out the remaining seeds. Drain the juice into a small bowl and set aside for later.
- Now, fill the bowl with cold water until there is about 3/4 of an inch above the pomegranate seeds. This will allow all the extra little skin bits to float to the top and you can easy remove them with your fingers or a spoon.
- Do this process another time or two, until all the bits are removed. Drain and set aside.
- Add the spring mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Slice the red onion and avocado and add it to the spring mix.
- Take the 2 persimmons and slice them in half. Remove the leafy part and the hard, inner core. Slice each half again, and then each quarter into 4-5 slices. Add to the spring mix.
- Add in the feta cheese and chopped chicken.
- Finally add in the pomegranate arils and stir until everything is well combined. Set aside while you whip up the vinaigrette.
- For the Vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients until well mixed.
- Pour the vinaigrette into the bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- Divide the salad evenly between two plates and...
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: POINTS+: 14 OLD POINTS: 14
(per 1/2 of the recipe)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment