This balsamic butternut squash salad features crispy bacon and a sweet and tangy maple glaze! It’s a healthy, paleo friendly side dish with only 5 ingredients!
I have a confession to make.
I don’t really trust recipes with that don’t require at least 10 ingredients.
I also like curry. But, that is neither here nor there.
But, this means, that my brain goes into MAJOR question mode when I see a recipe that is spouting off “ONLY 5 INGREDIENTS AND ACTUALLY TASTES REALLY GOOD IN YOUR MOUTH”
Liiiike, is it lying, and I am really going to click the pin to find 400 ingredients? Does said recipe creator not know how to count? Or maybe they’re one of these “10 different spices don’t count because everyone should just have every spice on planet earth on hand all the time kinda people”
You know who you are.
But, fo’ realz. Am I the only person that wonders these things about minimalistic ingredient recipes? HOW CAN THEY TASTE GOOD?
This bowl of tender-crisp, sautéed Butternut squash noodles that is twirling its spirals of veggie love with sweet and tangy balsamic reduction and smoky BACON is only 5.
I wouldn’t have even guessed it was such few ingredients. And, truth be told, it wasn’t even planned. It just kinda happened. Soooo….I went with it.
It’s probably ‘cause of the bacon. Maybe cooking things in bacon fat, and then tossing in crispy-crunchy pieces of extra bacon yumminess is the secret to make one-hand ingredients ALWAYS TASTY.
Always bacon. I know you understand.
In other didn’t-surprise-you-news: spiralized butternut squash is THE BEST way to eat our winter squash friend. I’m sure you learned this back when we ate curried butternut squash salad, but I am going to tell you again:
Any time you can avoid having to use RLY RLY big knives to chop SUPER SUPER hard-to-cut things into squares is a life win for you. All of the yummy, cozy-fall-food feels without all the possible risk of cutting off any fingers.
PLUS, tender spirals of tangy butternut squash noodles are going to make your eyeballs smile SOMUCHMORE when you peep them, than if you were peeping boring cubes on your Christmas table instead. Friends, save the boxy shape for your maple roasted sweet potatoe with curry.
You can get them any time of the year. They don’t need to be fancy.
Is that mean? Do you think I hurt the sweet potatoes feelings?
Back to important questions.
Did I mention the flavor profiles of smoky bacon and tangy-sweet maple syrup and balsamic vinegar, which is bringing out the naturally sweet yummy vibes that is living inside the butternut squash?
Oh hello perfect marriage of food bliss, it’s nice to mEAT you.
Ignore the poor spelling and pay attention to BACON.
- 4 Slices Thick-cut, hickory-smoked bacon
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Good-quality Balsamic vinegar divided
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 Medium Butternut squash (3 lbs) Spiralized with blade D
- 1 Large onion Spiralized with blade A
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Cook the bacon in a large, high-sided pan set over medium heat until golden brown and crispy, flipping once. Once cooked, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and lightly press out any excess fat. Reserve the fat in the pan.
- Into the pan add 2 Tbsp of the balsamic vinegar, reserving the rest for later, along with the maple syrup. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, only about 20 seconds.
- Add in the spiralized squash and onion noodles and toss until evenly coated in the balsamic vinegar mixture. Add in the salt and pepper and toss until evenly mixed.
- Cook, tossing occasionally, until the squash is fork tender and the begins to caramelize, about 8-12 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. Additionally, crumble the bacon and stir it in.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: SmartPoints: 4 Points+: 5. Old Points: 3
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ONTWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!