This 1 ingredient Instant Pot Butternut Squash is naturally gluten free and healthy! The easiest way to cook squash ever!
PIN Instant Pot Butternut Squash
Where are my winter squash lovers at?
I am also VERY into whole30 paleo butternut squash soup. But you know what I am NOT into? Almost chopping my hand off every single time that I have to cut open a winter squash and take the skin off.
Enter: butternut squash that you cook in the INSTANT pot. No horrific skinning and almost chopping off your hands. No annoying peeling.
Just soft, smooth and delicious butternut squash in a SNAP that is perfect for a healthy side or you could even sub it into the Moroccan roasted acorn squash soup.
Just like making Instant Pot Spaghetti squash, this is going to be your new, go-to way to cook butternut squash. I can feel it. Add it to your rotation with instant pot green beans and you will be one happy veggie eater.
Of course, if you happen to not own an Instant pot, you will also really love air fryer butternut squash!
Health Benefits of Butternut Squash
I love love LOVE me a good squash recipe. Squash is a great way to lower the carb count in your meal, while still tasting like comfort food! I love cooking up family friendly meals like paleo buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole and kabocha squash soup in the slow cooker because they’re downright DELISH and I also love how many ways there are to get creative when cooking squash! That’s why you’re going to love today’s recipe: instant pot butternut squash! Not only does it taste great, but butternut squash have lots of health benefits:
- Great for Immunity: Butternut squash, like other orange fruits and vegetables, contains beta-carotene and alpha-carotene. Your body converts them to vitamin A, which is great for boosting your immune system!
- Rich in Fiber: High in dietary fiber, butternut squash is fantastic in helping your digestion and reduces your risk of cancer, too!
- Rich in Nutrients, Low in Calories: Butternut squash is full of vitamin c, a, e, potassium, and manganese, just to name a few! It also is a low calorie alternative to other foods!
Making Instant Pot Butternut Squash FAQ
How do I pick a good butternut squash?
If you’re wanting to make this butternut squash instant pot recipes, you’ll want to make sure you pick a good squash for best results. There are a few criteria I look out for when choosing a squash at the market:
- Color: Try to pick a butternut squash that has a solid beige color, and avoid picking one with too many deep cuts, marks, or bruises.
- Weight: You’ll want to select a squash that feels heavy for its size.
- No marks: If there are any dark brown marks or punctures, I’d steer clear. They can introduce bacteria to the squash.
Do I have to peel the squash first?
You might be used to carefully peeling a butternut squash before cooking it, as many recipes require this step. It can be tricky and time consuming and you might just give up and make roasted delicata squash instead since you can eat the skin! However, that’s why I wanted to create a recipe to skip that step altogether! For this butternut squash in instant pot, NO peeling is required! Simply slice the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and pop it in the instant pot to cook!
How long to cook Butternut Squash?
Once you have sliced the squash in half, scooped out the seeds, and placed it cut side down in the instant pot, pour the water over top of it. Set the instant pot to sealing, and you’ll want to cook it on manual pressure high for 14 minutes!
How to use Instant Pot Butternut Squash
Once your butternut squash is cooked and ready to DEVOUR, there are so many ways you can use it! Puree it into soups or chop it up and throw it into a balsamic butternut squash with bacon. You could even sub it for acorn squash and toss it into a roasted acorn squash salad for a tasty side or even a full meal!
Other Healthy Butternut Squash Recipes
- 1 Medium butternut squash
- 1 Cup Water
- Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Place the trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot and pour the water in. Place the squash, cut-side up into the Instant Pot. If it's too big, cut it into quarters.
- Cover the pot, make sure it's set to sealing, and cook on manual high pressure for 14 mins. Then do an Instant release and check to see if it's tender. If not, you can cook it a few more mins.
- Scoop out of the shell and DEVOUR
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW WITH THINGS GOING ON AT FFF (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!