Just letting you know that this stack of breakfast berry-licious-ness is sponsored by Danskin Now! You’ll <3 their cute workout clothes!
These single-serve protein waffles are studded with juicy blueberries and have a 5 minute lemon sauce! Perfect for a paleo friendly, gluten free breakfast on busy mornings!
Crispy, crunchy LEMON BLUEBERRY WAFFLES.
Liiike, in the middle of September.
TOTALLY side-swept-you. TOTALLY did NOT see this one comin’.
Just keepin ya on your tippy TOES.
Speaking of the tip of things, I can still taste each fruity-fresh, naturally-sweet burst of juicy blueberries mingling with tart and tangy lemon, and EXPLODING out of these protein paleo waffles into my hungry mouth.
- Just did my super-(pretending to be)-hardcore-leg-day-with-ALL-the-deadlifts-and-need-food-to-refuel-PRONTO.
Which is why the insane amount of protein that these waffles are power-packin’? SO NECESSARY TO LIFE.
You know what’s also necessary to life? Cute workout clothes!
After I picked up some adorable new gym gear from Danskin Now at Walmart, (!!!) I could FEEL the super-strength rippling through my (pretend) huge muscles. Putting on my brand spankin’ new performance workout shorts, front-close plunge sports bra and SUPER FUN Fitspiration Active Graphic Tank had me like “oh hey gym. Imma CRUSH YOU.”
Because, in the worlds of one of the above mentioned super fun tank tops “better sore than sorry”
It’s okay. You can also admit that new (super cute!) workout clothes make you feel an extreme case of bubbly, happy, TUFF feelings too.
This is a safe space.
Anyway. These clothes. I wore them to the gym, killed it, and then had a SEVERE case of the hangries going on inside my belly. But, can we just tap into our internet BFF status for a second, and be downright REAL with each other?
Especially when it’s stilllll kinda the final days of summer and my taste buds are still tingling with the desire to munch on all the paleo lemon bars and oatmeal recipe with blueberry cheesecake swirl that comes in the near vicinity of my FACE. You get me.
So, lemon and blueberry. You remember the blueberry gluten free pancakes with quinoa and lemon? It’s one of the most magical flavor combinations in the sense that the sweet, fresh blueberries are balanced out in the E-P-I-T-O-M-E of perfect food marriages with the tangy, sour lemon juice. Don’t worry, honey glides it sticky-sweet self in to prevent TOO much tanginess from invading the general space of your mouth, ending in sour-puckery-faced you. This is not a good look on anyone.
And we wouldn’t want to mess up how trendy and fashionable you be looking with all your adorable new lifting gear amiRIGHT?
Always watching out for your stylish life.
Now, I have key waffle points for you. DO NOT SKIP THESE. No speed reading allowed here folks:
- The amount of almond milk you use will G-R-E-A-T-L-Y depend on how thick or thin your protein powder is. You want the batter to not really be a batter.
You want it to be more like a slightly thinner cookie dough that you actually have to SPREAD into the waffle maker. No pouring. We ain’t making no pancakes peeps. You MAY need to make these a few times before you get the consistency right.
Which means you need to eat more.
How tragic. *sarcastic face*
- You’re 99% most likely going to have to cook these longer than when that magical “YAY-food-is-ready” green light appears on your waffle maker. I had to let my waffles cook a good 2-3 minutes past the “done” to allow them to reach their peak of crispety-crunchety, light-as-air protein waffle AWESOMENESS.
That’s it. 2 simple very VRY VRY important tips for your very near protein-waffle-making-life.
Now go shimmy into those shorts, rock that super-fun tank and FEEL DA BURNNN.
You know there’s a stack of protein-pumpin’ waffles waiting for you on the other side.
Blueberry Paleo Protein Waffles
For the sauce:
- 2 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 4 tsp Honey
For the waffles:
- 1 Scoop Vanilla grass-fed protein powder (35g)
- 2 tsp Coconut flour
- 2 tsp Coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Large egg
- 3-5 Tbsp Unsweetened vanilla almond milk * read notes!
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp Fresh blueberries lightly heaping
- Whisk together the lemon juice and honey in a medium, microwave safe bowl until well combined. Microwave until reduced by about half, darkens in color, and the mixture begins to stop bubbling, about 2-2 1/2 minutes. Watch closely while it microwaves, if you over-cook it you will have hard taffy, not syrup. Place into the refrigerator to chill and thicken while you make the waffles.
- Rub a waffle iron with coconut oil and heat on the highest setting.
- In a small bowl whisk the protein powder, coconut flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Lightly whisk the egg and add it in, along with the milk and lemon zest and whisk until smooth. Adjust the milk accordingly (as per notes)
- Spoon the batter into the middle of the waffle iron, spreading out only slightly and cook until golden brown and crispy. Repeat with remaining batter. **read notes.
- Drizzle with the thickened lemon syrup and DEVOUR!
Recipe Notes*The amount of milk you need depends on the consistency of your protein powder. If it’s a thinner powder, you need less milk. Thicker? More. You want this to a be pretty thick batter, like a slightly runnier cookie dough. You may need to make these a few times before you get the liquid right for your protein powder. My protein powder is good with just over 3 Tbsp, but I have experimented with others that need more. ** The amount of time cooking also depends on your protein. I tried this with 3 different brands and some came out perfectly crisp right away, some needed a few rounds of cooking in the iron. Cook according to your desired level of crispness. You also may need to really hold the waffle iron down if your dough is thick, in order to get crispiness. Like I said, you may need to make them a few times until you totally nail them.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfitness
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT DANSKIN NOW. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: Points+: 15. Old Points: 9. SmartPoints: 7
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS! ????
Want more simple, protein packed breakfasts?
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!