Need some paleo breakfast recipes? This healthy gluten free paleo breakfast casserole is an easy, whole30 compliant breakfast or brunch with a little taste of the Middle East! A paleo egg bake that is gluten/grain/dairy/sugar free and delicious!
PIN Healthy Gluten Free Paleo Breakfast Casserole
TRUE LIFE FACT ABOUT ME:
I eat breakfast for dinner more often than not.
Ummm. Also breakfast for lunch. AND breakfast for, well, breakfast.
Brunch, Linner or BRINNER. Breakfast food items during any single hour of the day that I am stuffing my face (see: always?) makes my inner morning-food loving heart SUPER excited to be alive.
SRSLY. There are days when knowing that, come 7pm, I get to faceplant into a stack of paleo banana pancakes with coconut flour or let my taste buds swim through the cookie dough overnight oats sea OR gobble up some protein PACKED healthy French toast is really the only will that I have to live.
Don’t lie. You’re an adult and you know just how hard adulting is too.
This is ALSO your life story.
Question: are you more of a savory or sweet breakfast-but-really-we-mean-food-that-you-eat-all-day-long food kinda person? The always-eating-breakfast side of me usually runs STRAIGHT for anything sweet. Usually the only time I do savory if it’s a Saturday morning bacon, oven baked eggs and sweet potato hash BROWNS.
UNTIL THIS GLUTEN FREE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Thhhhhhhattt we’ve been eating for dinner AND leftovers for lunch pretty much since the dawn of time.
Which is an exaggeration for “since I created this paleo egg casserole recipe and worked on it 1 billion times until the seasonings were perfect, so we had to eat A LOT of this healthy gluten free paleo breakfast casseroles.”
Don’t worry, I did all the heavy tasting for you, so you won’t need to eat aforementioned healthy gluten free paleo breakfast casserole one billion times on rep-EAT.
But, liiike, after your mouth munches through not one, but, TWO layers of flavor-packed, warm and cozy middle-Eastern vibes you just might WANT TO.
Let me LAY them out for you:
The first, base layer of this sweet potato egg casserole begins as all yummy things in this universe do: with carbs.
Uh huh, uh huh, uh huh.
Little nuggets of jewel-toned, orange sweet potato gems and zesty onions swirl around in BACON FAT (!!!) until golden brown and tender, and then get a little cozy with warm spices and a little bright tomato action.
Layer numero dos is a creamy combination of rich, eggy goodness with pops of salty yums and double the smokiness from bacon and fire roasted tomatoes, with a little natural tomato sweetness to calm it allll down.
Our earlier forays into the land of Moroccan sweet potato salad, a Moroccan chicken skillet and Moroccan cauliflower soup have given away my TRU love with Moroccan flavors. The love for this skillet of breakfast-that-can-be-breakfast-but-is-equally-acceptable-for-dinner is JUST AS DEEP.
PRO POTATO TIP: When sautéing your spuds, do NOT sauté them so much so that they are done to a point where you could straight up serve them AS IS, NO PROBLEMO.
They must be a little under-cooked. Otherwise they get SUPER soft under pressure (the pressure of the heat of the oven, FYI) and your whole healthy gluten free paleo breakfast casserole experience will be THROWN OFF.
There are probably worse things that COULD happen in your life. But, really?
There is not.
Don’t do it.
Things that you SHOULD do are this:
- Eat whole 30 breakfast casserole for breakfast like a normal person.
- Eat breakfast casserole for lunch and have your coworkers start to wonder about your level of sanity.
- Go ALL IN and eat breakfast casserole for brinner.
Sanity in question or not, you’ll be GLAD YOU DID.
Other recipes you might like:
Moroccan Healthy Gluten Free Paleo Breakfast Casserole
- 3 Slices sugar free bacon
- 2 1/2 Cups Sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (300g)
- 1/2 Cup Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/16 tsp Ground allspice
- 2 tsp Tomato paste
- 1 14oz Can Fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 Large eggs
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees and rub an 8x8 inch pan with olive oil.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat and cook the bacon until crispy, flipping once, or about 2-4 minutes per side. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate (do not drain the fat) and blot off any excess fat. Set aside.
- Add the potatoes and onions right into the pan with the remaining bacon fat. Cook until they just begin to brown and start to become tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the cumin, salt, cinnamon, smoked paprika and allspice and stir until the potatoes are covered. Add in the tomato paste and stir it around. Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are mostly tender, but still a little under cooked, about 5-7 minutes.* Transfer them to the bottom of the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly in a single layer.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the diced tomatoes and eggs, adding a pinch of sea salt. Crumble up the cooked bacon and whisk it in. Pour over top of the sweet potatoes, spreading out until all the potatoes are covered.
- Bake until the top feels set, about 30-35 minutes. Let stand for 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and DEVOUR!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 5 POINTS+:5 . OLD POINTS:4
(per 1/4 of the recipe)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!