Strawberry Freeze is a quick and easy, frozen strawberry dessert with crunchy pecan crumbs and creamy, strawberry filling! This recipe is great for kids and has healthy ingredients.
We’re partyin’ it up at FFF again guys.
You know what today is? National Pecan Day! Woo to the hoo!
Two reasons why I decided we must celebrate this momentous day:
1. Well, I REALLY like pecans. Like a lot. As in I-eat-either-this-Salad -or-as-I-call-it-“epic-salad”-everyday-that-I-am-not-eating-Cilantro-Lime-Tilapia-(or-popcorn-*insert-shifty-eyes-here-*)for-dinner kind of a lot
2. I may or may not have gotten my hands on a list of all of the Food Holidays in the ENTIRE year. Yes, there will be a lot of upcoming parties. I’m sorry.
But, I’m really not.
Get yo’ part-ay hats ready.
3. I happen to have special little recipe that is all close to my heart and stuff, and it happens to have pecans.
Oh, that’s 3? 2, 3…they’re all numbers, same thang.
Sidenote: I’m currently sitting at the computer trying really hard to type something witty for you but, with all this talk of parties, I can only picture a little group of pecans in a little pecan house wearing little, pink (because everything is better in pink) party hats and holding pecan shaped party balloons. And singing.
Partying, singing pecans in hats is a REALLY weird picture.
Why does my brain do this?
Okay, I’m good now.
Like I mentioned, this recipe is really close to my heart as it happens to be what my brother and I requested for our birthday “cake” (we’re twins, so our birthday was always the same day) every single year when we were wee little kidlets.
Birthday parties. Pecans in party hats. Can’t. Stop.
And, you know? I’m pretty sure my momma was more than happy to oblige because
1. She’s awesome.
2. Strawberry Freeze is probably one of the easiest things to make that your face will ever eat.
Seriously guys, it goes like this: Cut pecans (hardest part – and I bet you could even use a food processor!) >> toast pecans >> Put frozen strawberries, sugar and egg whites (protein!) into blender and walk away >> Watch “Millionaire Matchmaker” (optional but recommended) >> Come back and put pecan crumbs in a dish >> Throw on strawberry mix >> Throw on the rest of pecans >> DONE.
How easy is that?! AND, you’ve got tons ‘o healthy ingredients up in thur.
Oh, and you should totally make it RIGHT before you have peeps over because your house is going to smell like toasty-party-hat-wearing-pecan Heaven.
And now you’re wondering what that even smells like.
I guess you’re going to have to make it now to find out.
See what I did there? Muahahahah
Final thought for you:
Singing pecans in pecan birthday hats with pecan shaped party balloons. I die.
- For the crumbs:
- 3/4 cup Butter, melted
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 Cup Brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 Cup Pecans, finely chopped
- For the strawberry filling:
- 2 Egg whites
- 3/4 Cup Granulated sugar
- 15 oz Frozen whole strawberries, partially thawed
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl,mix together all of the crumb ingredients.
- Spread the crumbs evenly onto a baking sheetand bake until golden brown, about 15-20 mins, stiring twice during the cooking process.
- While the crumbs bake, place all of the strawberry filling ingredients in large bowl and beat, using anelectric hand mixer, on high until it thickens, about 10 mins. I used my Kitchenaid stand mixer, set it to high and walked away and let it do it's thang.
- Once the crumbs are finished, spread them in the bottom of 9x13 pan, reserving 1 cup for the top.
- Pour the filling onto the crumb base and smooth.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crumbs.
- Freeze it until set, about 4 hours.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
This is not a sponsored post, but Driscolls was generous enough to supply me with some awesome strawberries!
Want more Frozen Desserts?
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!