This easy, gluten free french toast bake is bursting with sweet strawberries and tangy rhubarb. It’s a perfect, make-ahead spring breakfast or brunch!
Little, pillow-soft, tender cubes of bread XPLODING with sweet, tangy strawberries and rhubarb.
PLUUUUUUS that THICKKK layer of crunchy, crispy topping that makes you want to keep going back for just ooooonnnnnneee more serving.
Then, 4 servings later….
You know the drill.
This STUPID easy, make-it-ahead French toast casserole is the kind of breakfast that is really good in the sense of the fact that:
- Carbs mixed with fruit and topped with crunchy sweet crispy topping. That is an obviously perfect sentence without explanation.
- It requires about 2 minutes of work. Hi EASY DELISH RECIPE. I <3 you. A lot.
- It’s kind of like strawberry rhubarb pie. Except in a more socially-acceptable-for-breakfast kinda way.
BUTBUTBUT, if you’re looking for warm-fruity-breakfast vibes WITHOUT grains, make sure you check out this Easy Gluten Free Spiced Hot Fruit Bake from Cotter Crunch!
I remember how you guys liked both the funfetti protein overnight oats and healthy high protein french toast as well as the vegan cookie dough breakfast bowls. I ALREADY know how you feel about dessert for breakfast. And, it looks a lot like that emoji with the popping-out hearts for eyeballs. FACT.
I realize that we ate strawberry rhubarb in the form of a healthy chicken stir fry only last week. But, that was dinner. This is breakfast. That was THEN. This is NOW.
There is very obvious differences which makes 2 weeks with sweet and tangy strawberry rhubarb recipes totally, 110% OKAY and appropriate.
It is spring time. Which is basically Mother Nature daring you to see JUST how many strawberry and rhubarb flavored items you can shovel into your hungry mouths before she evil-y takes them away, only to return next spring. AKA: in ONE WHOLE YEAR.
This just means you need to take the SR (the cool-kids abbreviation for strawberry rhubarb) season by the stalk (??) and hit it HARD. Starting with you morning-person-breakfast-needs.
OR, just a thought: your MOM’s morning-person-breakfast-needs. There is that day this weekend where we are supposed to shower Mom with gifts, love and all things delicious.
Like some vegan gluten free strawberry rhubarb crisp OR a French toast casserole. Just sayin’
The shenagins of this carby, soft and chewy casserole that your eyeballs are peeping and I bet your hungry-person mouth is craving, are PREEEE straight forward. It’s nothing more than a little “slice slice” knife action to cube your bread, with a few little strategically planned flicks of the wrists to stir it together with eggs, honey, almond milk and some necessary fresh, sweet strawberries and sliiiightly sour rhubarb.
If you want honesty though: the “strategically planned flicks of the wrist” might look more like slopping milk over the sides of your bowl because, for some reason, you can’t mix food like a normal, clean person.
Might just be my personal experience though.
Srsly though. That’s IT. Well, until you wake up…and make some crispy streusel.
And then you decide to make double the streusel that is actually probably needed because streusel x 2 is SO MUCH better of a life decision than streusel x1. <— You’ll see this is a true when you assemble said casserole.
While aforementioned fruity-filled casserole does it’s baking thing in the oven, all you have left is strawberry sauce. A sauce that is smooth, but has just a fewwww little chunks of strawberries for the SURPRISE texture that I know that texture-freak that lives inside you NEEDS to be in a state of ULTIMATE food bliss.
Food bliss. At YOUR breakfast table.
I’m thinkin’ that this has YOUR name ALL over it
For the casserole
For the crumble:
- 1/2 Cup Almond flour
- 1/2 Cup Gluten free rolled old fashioned oats
- 1/4 Cup Coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp Coconut oil at room temperature (should be the consistency of softened butter)
For the sauce:
- 2 Cups Strawberries roughly chopped (260g)
- 1 Cup Rhubarb sliced (130g)
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Water
- In a very large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the almond milk, reserving the rest for later, along with the eggs, honey, vanilla and salt until well combined.
- Add the cubed bread, sliced strawberries and rhubarb into the mixture and gently toss until the bread is evenly coated in the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish. Cover with tinfoil and refrigerate for at least 6 hours - overnight.
- The next day, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of almond milk of the casserole, to give it some extra moisture, and gently press the bread cubes down so they are nice and packed together.
- In a small bowl, stir together the almond meal, oats and coconut sugar. Add in the coconut oil and stir, using your hands, until well mixed and crumbly.
- Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over-top of the casserole and bake until the eggs feel set and the casserole begins to bubble up, about 50 mins - 1 hour. Once cooked, broil the casserole on HIGH for 2-3 minutes until the crumble is lightly golden brown and crunchy. Watch it closely because the crumbs burn quickly!
- While the casserole cooks, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a medium pot on medium heat. Bring to a steady simmer and cook until the strawberries soften, stirring frequently, about 7-8 minutes.
- Lightly mash the rhubarb and strawberries with a fork, but make sure to leave some texture, and then cook and additional 6-7 minutes until the sauce thickens and slightly reduces.
- Serve the sauce over the casserole and DEVOUR.
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMARTPOINTS: 10 POINTS+: 4. OLD POINTS: 5
(with 4 Tbsp honey in french toast)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more french toast?
Gluten free french toast from around the web:
High Protein Baked French Toast for Two – Healthy Helper
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!