These gluten free peanut butter banana energy bars are made out of slow cooker steel cut oats! They’re and easy, healthy portable breakfast or snack!
Steel cut oats. But NOT in a bowl.
Bars are SOOO the 2017 version of bowls.
But imagine with me, just for today, that bars are the newest LATEST AND GREATEST.
I think my inner soul is trying to tell me that my secret-unknown-to-me-mission in life is to prove to the real-life universe that the slow cooker can PRETTY much be used for ANYTHING ever.
Are you with me in this journey that I didn’t even know we were going to take together until now? Perf.
If you asked me this, liiiiike, last week…I would have hands down said old fashioned oats. I am the girl that eats cookie dough overnight oats for breakfast every day. I can’t even lie to you, I ate my favorite oatmeal recipe with blueberry cheesecake swirl for DINNER yesterday.
Oatmeal + eating = my favorite.
But, hold on a sec’. Can we really consider this a fair question when you and I both know that we’ve NEVA eaten a recipe with STEEL CUT oats in the almost 4 years that FFF has existed in the inter-webz?
Exactly. SO UNFAIR.
You guys. These bars. With their STEEL CUT oatmeal.
Cooking the oatmeal for a LONNNNNNNG TIME (IE: 7-8 hours. IE go to bed and let these bars jam around the slow cooker while you catch some zzzzzz’s) kind of steams it and turns each little fleck into CHEWY GOODNESS.
Which then mish-mashes with ultra-crispy banana chips, crunchy, roasty and SALTY peanuts –> that’s balanced out by sticky sweet honey and mushy (in a good way) SUPER ripe banana, which is finished off with a nutrition PACKED superfood kick-in-the-taste buds of rich, chocolatey cacao nibs.
Like I said. Steel cut oats in bar form >>>>>>>>> Steel cut oats in a bowl with a spoon form.
Straight up: have you ever tried to eat a bowl of oatmeal while you drive to work because morning-you pressed “snooze” about eleventy billion times to many, and you barely had time to put on pants let alone eat breakfast?
I don’t recommend it. It’s HARD.
But, morning-busy-you-who-I-truly-hope-put-on-pants could MOST definitely pop a few chewy, soft and salty-sweet energy bars in your mouth WHILE you drive.
Only at red lights though kay? Safety first.
Bonus points for bars that pack a MEGA dose of healthy, complex carbs to keep you FULL and ENERGIZED until that 12:00 slump.
Oatmeal energy bars guys.
They ARE the CHAMPION of your morning life.
Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats Energy Bars
- 3 Tbsp Natural peanut butter + additional for drizzling, if desired
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 1 1/4 Cup Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3/4 Cup Ripe banana, mashed (about 1 1/2 large bananas, or 190g)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 1/3 Cup Banana chips, roughly chopped
- 1/3 Cup Steel cut oats , gluten free if needed
- 1/4 Cup Roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp Cacao nibs
- Spray a 7-quart slow cooker with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper, leaving enough extra to act as a handle. I just trace my slow cooker insert, and then cut the tracing out a little bigger!
- Place the peanut butter and honey in a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted, about 1 minute. Whisk together.
- Add in the almond milk, banana and cinnamon and whisk again. Finally, whisk in the eggs until well combined.
- Stir in the raisins, banana chips, steel cut oats, peanuts and cacao nibs and pour into the slow cooker. Make sure to kind of spread all mix-ins around so each bar has lots of yumminess!
- Cover and cook on low until the bars feel set, about 7-8 hours.
- Once cooked, gently pull out from the slow cooker and transfer to a wire rack to cool COMPLETELY.
- Once cool, slice into bars and DEVOUR!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 8 POINTS+: 7. OLD POINTS:6
(Per 1 bar out of 14)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!