The childhood taste of Rice Krispie treats in a healthy, easy and delicious cookie!
There is something about Rice Krispie squares (or rice krispie treats as you Americans apparently call them.) Almost everyone has had them (usually many times) when growing up. Now that I’m a big girl and do all my own cooking, I know why. These treats must be a moms dream come true due to their super-duper-easy-but-super-duper yummy-and-child-pleasing-factor. These little squares of love bring me back to the good old days of my child hood, where I walked up hill both ways to school with no shoes.
I didn’t actually, I just thought it seemed fitting.
If you grew up with these and thought they were the best thing ev-errr, I have one word for you: Rice Krispie square cookies.
Technically, I guess that is 4 words for you but whatever. Counting is over rated and your mind is still totally blown right? So, we’re good.
This idea, like most good ideas, came to me in the middle of the night. I woke up and was all “cookies and Rice Krispie squares! Must write this down!” I then proceeded to go back to sleep. But upon waking up, oh man guys, I made these.
And then proceeded to eat them for breakfast. With absolutely no shame.
Throwing Rice Krispies into the mix adds this surprise texture of crunch that is unexpectedly nestled among soft, sweet cookie dough. But, the real treat? The marshmallow center! Oh.My.Goshhhhh guys. The marshmallow kind of puffs up during baking which makes these cookies like little light, pillowy clouds…clouds made of marshmallow. What could be better than that?
It gets better. Say bye bye to your typical, butter laden, fatty cookie and hello to healthy avocado and natural peanut butter. These babies are low fat and low calorie (only 100 per cookie!) but they don’t sacrifice flavour one.little.bit.
So, cookies for breakfast?
- 1 cup Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup Brown rice cereal Rice Krispie cereal
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- 2 cups Splenda
- 3 Tbsps Natural peanut butter
- 3 Tbsps Avocado mashed
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Butter extract optional
- 6 large marshmallows cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the whole wheat pastry flour, Rice Krispies, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a separate medium bowl, cream together the Splenda, peanut butter, mashed avocado, egg, vanilla, and butter extract with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the avocado/peanut butter mixture.
- Cut each marshmallow in half.
- Take a 1.5 Tbsp sized ball of dough and flatten it with your hands (if the dough is too sticky, pop it in the freezer for a few minutes) into a disc. Place a half of a marshmallow in the center and mold the dough over to cover. Flatten slightly and place on a cookie sheet,
- Bake on an un-greased cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
Want more Rice Krispies?