A bowl of this Shrimp Pasta with a Creamy coconut Curry Sauce makes a perfect, healthy and quick and easy meal for those cold, fall evenings.
I feel like winter is the season for bold, ethnic-y flavours.
Dictionary.com tells me that “ethnic-y” is not a word. But, I think otherwise. Let’s go with it.
Most would argue that the Fall is the season for all things in the world to be pumpkin flavoured. I do love pumpkin, but I think it’s time we start a new bandwagon to jump on? Will you jump on it with me?
I hope so, or else you guys be missing outtttt.
Eastern flavours are the perfect for cuddling up in blankets by warm fires in your super duper awesome leopard print pajamas that your husband hates.
Not that I own those or anything.
I don’t know about you, but when I am so cold my body is numb (do I even have a body? I can’t feel it) I don’t want to be eating some fru-fru-fruity-airy-mousse-like summer kinda food. I want a big bowl of warmth and creaminess and oh-my-gosh-who-needs-a-blanket-when-i-could-just-snuggle-up-into-my-own-bowl kinda food.
Oh, and carbs. Lots and lots of carbs.
This coconut curry pasta has all those things combined in.one.bowl.
The kick from the curry not only warms up your belly, but it makes you house smell so dang ah-may-zing while you cook it. Coconut milk brings that whole creamy necessity to the party, while brown rice noodles bring the whole I-want-all-the-carbs-now thing. Plus, the brown rice noodles keep it gluten free and the lower-fat coconut milk keeps it on the lighter side.
It’s healthy AND it’s soul food guys.
Throw a little shrimp (I am resisting the urge to say Barbie, cause it’s not Summer and I am not Australian) on there and you’ve got a perfectly complete meal.
So, please please do yourself a favour and wrap yourself in a bowl of this tonight. If you wanna be all fancy, I will also accept eating it like a normal person out of a bowl, wrapped in an actual blanket that is not made of food.
It is just not as fun.
- 1/2 Tbsp . coconut oil melted
- 1/2 Cup shallots diced
- 1 Tbsp . garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp . ginger minced.
- 1 tsp . corn starch
- 3/4 Cup reduced- sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 Cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp . yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp . fish sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp . brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp . salt
- 1 lb cooked shrimp
- 1 6 oz package of brown rice noodles
- Cilantro for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and place the noodles in. Turn off the heat and let the noodles cook while you prepare the sauce.
- In a large pan, heat 1/2 Tbsp. coconut oil over medium heat.
- Dice the 1/2 cup of shallots, the garlic and the ginger and place into the pan.
- Sautee until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- ) Add in 1/2 cup of chicken stock and stir, scraping any bits off the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tsp. cornstarch with 1/4 cup of chicken stock and stir until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Add the mixture into the pan and stir until it is well combined.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and bring the sauce to a rolling boil. Boil for a good minute or so.
- Turn the heat down to medium/low and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of coconut milk, 1 tsp. curry powder, 1/2 tsp. fish sauce, 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Turn the heat up to medium/high and boil again for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer until thick, 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the noodles, and pour the sauce over them
- Toss with the cooked shrimp and cilantro and serve.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
Want more seafood?
Leave a Comment