These red skin mashed potatoes are PERFECT! So fluffy, so easy to make and so delicious! They’ll be a go to all year long!
I warned you that I was on a mashed potato kick.
You know what they say right? DO THE MASHED POTATO.
I think that is actually a dance, but we are doing it!
Are Red Potatoes Healthy?
Is there anything more comforting than a big ol pot of potatoes?! I mean, really, indulging in some roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts or gobbling up some crispy, hot air fryer roasted potatoes is always high on my list when I need some potato goodness. Today’s homemade mashed red potatoes are NO different and they are going to be the perfect pairing for your weekend family meal. AND red potatoes are healthy for your body, too, so it’s a win win situation. Red potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates and vitamins, providing your body with an unprocessed source of energy. They also hold, in one serving, about 10% of your vitamin B6 for the day, as well as 50% of the recommended vitamin C intake. So, in short, you can eat some mashed potatoes and feel good about it!
Are Potatoes more nutritious with the skin on?
Making mashed potatoes is a good idea no matter what, but cooking up mashed potatoes with skin still on is, in fact, even better! A LOT of the vitamins and minerals found in red potatoes are actually in the skin! It contains tons of fiber, B vitamins, iron and potassium. The red skin is also very thin, so boiling and mashing these potatoes with the skin on won’t take away from the taste or texture you’re trying to achieve.
How to make Red Skin Mashed Potatoes
Wash the potatoes and chop them up into quarters. Place all of the potatoes into a large pot and cover them with cold water until no potatoes are poking out. Add the salt to the pot.
Bring the pot of potatoes up to a boil. Continue cooking for a while, until the potatoes are fork tender.
Once the potatoes are done, drain all of the water out of the pot and grab your potato masher. Mash the potatoes as well as you can with your masher.
In a small pan, add the butter and cream cheese and let them melt into rich, delicious goodness. Add them to the pot of potatoes, along with however much milk you desire, and stir until creamy and well incorporated.
Season your potatoes with salt and DEVOUR!
Top Tips for making Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Make sure not to skip the sautee part at the end, as this allows it to thicken up a lot!
- Use Granny Smith apples instead of another variety. They are the best for baking and their tart flavor pairs well with the sweetness of the sugar, keeping all the elements balanced!
- Blend it up afterwards if you desire to make it super creamy (who doesn’t!)
If you’re looking for some tasty recipes to go with these red skin mashed potatoes, I have a few up my sleeve. To make it a meal, I recommend:
- Keto Steak with garlic butter mushrooms
- Cumin Roasted Carrots
- Oven Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with goat cheese
Other Healthy Potato Recipes
- Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes with 5 Ingredients
- Harvest Paleo Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Curried Savory Vegan Healthy Mashed Potatoes
- 4 Lbs Red skinned potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 tsp Salt + more to taste
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Full-fat cream cheese
- 3/4-1 Cup 2% Milk
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water so the potatoes are covered about 1 inch. Add the salt into the pot and stir.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat slightly and cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork – about 15-20 mins.
- Once cooked, drain the water and mash the potatoes well with a potato masher.
- Melt the butter and cream cheese in a small pan on medium heat (the cream cheese won't fully melt) adding the milk as well so it heats up. I recommend starting with 3/4 cup milk then if you want/need more, heat it up before adding
- Once the butter is melted, stir the butter, cream cheese and milk mixture into the potatoes until fluffy.
- Season to taste with salt (I like 2-3 tsp) and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!