This Oven Baked Mozzarella Sticks Recipe is SO crispy and gooey, you will never believe they are baked, not fried, and only 5 ingredients!
PIN Oven Baked Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
It’s ALMOST THE BIG GAME DAY.
Aaaaand, you guys know that I could care less about little men running around my screen.
I may not like football, but I sure love football food!
You heard me- when game day is approaching, my mind goes straight to the party food and snacks that I’m going to be serving! I usually serve up some Almond Crusted Chicken Bites with Honey Mustard Sauce and chips to dunk into my grilled pineapple salsa with mango and corn or naan with my Indian 7 Layer Dip Recipe.
These baked mozzarella cheese sticks are going to have your guests RAVING and coming back for more, so make sure you make a lot! They’ve got that gooey, warm melty cheese and that crispy crunchy coating that you remember from deep fried cheese sticks. Only that they’re NOT deep fried at all, they’re baked! That’s right, get all that goodness you’re craving without the deep fryer!
What Kind of Cheese To Use
I am getting hungry just thinking about these! When picking up the ingredients you’ll need for these Oven Baked Mozzarella Sticks Recipe, the type of cheese you use is KEY. Since we’re going to be passing on the deep fryer for these bad boys, it’s important that you use WHOLE MILK mozzarella string cheese, since we’ll be missing the fat from deep frying.
How to Make Gluten Free Mozzarella Sticks
These BOMB baked cheese sticks are seriously amazing and should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. Following a gluten free diet? That will NOT be a problem- making these tasty sticks gluten free is easy peasy and they will still be gooey, crispy, and delicious. Simply substitute the flour and breadcrumbs for the gluten free kind!
How to Make Homemade Mozzarella Sticks
Got the appetite now for this baked mozzarella sticks recipe? I know I do- get ready for cheesy, crispy overload and an appetizer that ALL your guests are going to love! We only need a few simple ingredients to make them a reality, and here’s how we’re going to put them together:
Unwrap all mozzarella sticks. Whisk the eggs in a medium sized bowl. In a ziploc bag, combine the Italian seasoning, salt and breadcrumbs and shake well. Spread onto a rimmed plate. Lastly, spread the flour onto another rimmed plate.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll a mozzarella stick in flour, then dunk it in the egg, shaking off any excess. Using your other dry hand (be sure to keep one hand dry throughout), coat the stick in the bread crumb mixture and place onto the lined baking sheet. Repeat this process with each mozzarella stick. Freeze for 2 hours.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Once frozen, bake your sticks right from frozen. They should be soft but should also still hold their shape.
Serve immediately with marinara sauce and DEVOUR!
How Long to Bake Mozzarella Sticks
With mozza sticks, you want to bake them long enough that they are hot and crispy, but not too long as you don’t want the cheese to ooze out. 8-10 minutes is how long I recommend to bake them- this way they will be soft and hold their shape but also be perfectly crispy too!
Other Healthy Appetizers
- 24 Mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 2 Large eggs * read notes
- 1 Cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs (GF if needed)
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Whole wheat flour (or GF cup for cup flour)
- Marinara sauce, for serving
- Unwrap all the mozzarella sticks. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. In a ziploc bag, combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning and salt and shake to combine. Spread into a large, rimmed plate. Finally, spread the flour into a large rimmed plate.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Then, cover one mozzarella stick in flour. Then, dip it into the egg, shaking off any excess off. Using your other dry hand (very important - keep this hand nice and dry) cover the mozzarella stick in the bread crumb mixture and then place onto the pan. Repeat with all sticks.
- Freeze 2 hours.
- Once ready, heat your oven to 400 degrees and bake your sticks directly from the freezer for about 8-10 minutes until soft but they still hold their shape.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce and DEVOUR!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: POINTS+: 2 OLD POINTS: 2
(per mozzarella stick without marinara sauce)