Just letting you know that these crispy low carb whole30 paleo salmon cakes are sponsored by my friends at ALDI!
THE FIRST AIR FRYER RECIPE.
Partially because they are so fancy and ON TREND, just like the crispy air fried fish, with the “being cooked in the air fryer situation” at hand. But also ‘cause they are packin’ some MAJOR delicious spicy-sweet flavor and seriously juicy yumminess.
With a MEGA DOSE of heart-and-brain-healthy fats to nourish you from the INSIDE OUT.
These little low carb whole30 paleo salmon cakes of LOVE are doing it ALL.
Why you will LOVE This Recipe
If you are in the mood for a fun, tasty recipe that says GOODBYE to boring mealtimes, then I think I have the perfect one for you today! If you approve of our baked salmon with asian cilantro pesto, then you will love this spin we put on air fryer salmon: please give a warm welcome to salmon patties in the air fryer! This recipe combines healthy, simple ingredients with salmon to make the most tender, flavor-packed patties that the whole family will love! They are a fantastic way to get your omega 3s, iron and protein, too, so there’s nothing not to love!
Salmon on its own is flaky, tender, and doesn’t need a whole lot to make it amazing. BUT I say, why not make it even MORE delicious and jazz it up even more?! To make these salmon patties air fryer, I combined some ingredients I already had kicking around my kitchen with salmon and the results were incredible. Here is everything you will need to make this recipe:
- Fresh Atlantic Salmon Side
- Yellow Curry Powder
- Stonemill Sea Salt Grinder
- Tapioca Starch
- Simplynature Organic Cage Free Brown Eggs
- Simplynature Organic Coconut Flakes
- Simplynature Organic Coconut Oil
- Simplynature Organic Spinach and Arugula Mix
How to make Air Fryer Salmon Patties
Remove the skin from the salmon and dice the flesh, removing the skin. Place it in a large bowl along with the avocado, cilantro, curry powder, and sea salt and stir to combine. Add in the starch and stir it in as well.
Using your hands, form the salmon mixture into patties and place them on a cookie sheet. Place the pan in the freezer for a bit so that they firm up.
Preheat your air fryer and rub the basket with oil. In a shallow dish, whisk the eggs. In a separate dish, add the remaining tapioca starch. In a third dish, add the coconut flakes and set aside. Once the patties have frozen, remove them and coat each one first in the starch, then in the egg, then press it into the coconut flakes. Repeat with all patties.
Place the cakes in the air fryer and brush the tops with coconut oil. Cook until the outsides are golden brown and the insides are tender and juicy. While they are cooking, add the coconut oil and a pinch of salt to a pan and cook the greens until they just begin to wilt.
Divide the greens between plates and top them with the finished patties. Garnish with extra cilantro and DEVOUR!
Top Tips for making Air Fryer Salmon Patties
- Don’t skip the oil: It is important to rub the air fryer basket with oil, as the salmon patties do stick to it!
- Use a high heat: I recommend using high heat to cook your patties because cooking them at a low heat could cause them to dry out.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan: Be sure to give each patty space to cook so that the fish can all cook evenly in the air fryer.
This salmon patty recipe is delicious all on its own, but if you want to make it go further by adding some side dishes, go for it! Oven balsamic roasted brussels sprouts would be delicious alongside the salmon patties, and crispy baked sweet potato fries would also be a fun addition to your plate!
How to Meal Prep
There are a couple of different ways you can cook these salmon patties for meal prep throughout the week. Firstly, you can stack the raw patties in an airtight container in the fridge, then cook them when you’re ready to eat them. You could also store them in the freezer by first freezing them solid on a pan, then transferring them to a ziploc freezer bag. They will last for up to 3 months in the freezer, and then you can thaw and cook them according to instructions when you are ready to enjoy them!
- 1 lb ALDI Fresh Atlantic Salmon Side (half a side)
- 1/4 Cup Avocado, mashed
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, diced + additional for garnish
- 1 1/2 tsp Yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Stonemill Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/4 Cup + 4 tsp Tapioca Starch, divided (40g) *Read notes for lower carb version
- 2 SimplyNature Organic Cage Free Brown Eggs
- 1/2 Cup SimplyNature Organic Coconut Flakes (30g)
- SimplyNature Organic Coconut Oil, melted (for brushing)
For the greens:
- 2 tsp SimplyNature Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 6 Cups SimplyNature Organic Arugula & Spinach Mix, tightly packed
- Pinch of Stonemill Sea Salt Grinder
- Remove the skin from the salmon, dice the flesh, and add it into a large bowl.
- Add in the avocado, cilantro, curry powder, sea salt and stir until well mixed. Then, stir in 4 tsp of the tapioca starch until well incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form the salmon into 8, 1/4 cup-sized patties, just over 1/2 inch thick, and place them onto the pan. Freeze for 20 minutes so they are easier to work with.
- While the patties freeze, pre-heat your Air Fryer to 400 degrees for 10 minutes, rubbing the basket with coconut oil. Additionally, whisk the eggs and place them into a shallow plate. Place the remaining 1/4 cup of Tapioca starch and the coconut flakes in separate shallow plates as well.
- Once the patties have chilled, dip one into the tapioca starch, making sure it’s fully covered. Then, dip it into the egg, covering it entirely, and gently brushing off any excess. Finally, press just the top and sides of the cake into the coconut flakes and place it, coconut flake-side up, into the air fryer. Repeat with all cakes. **
- Gently brush the tops with a little bit of melted coconut oil (optional, but recommended) and cook until the outside is golden brown and crispy, and the inside is juicy and tender, about 15 minutes. Note: the patties will stick to the Air Fryer basked a little, so use a sharp-edged spatula to remove them.
- When the cakes have about 5 minutes left to cook, heat the coconut oil up in a large pan on medium heat. Add in the Arugula and Spinach Mix, and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring constantly, until the greens JUST begin to wilt, only 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- Divide the greens between 4 plates, followed by the salmon cakes. Garnish with extra cilantro and DEVOUR!
If you want to bake in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, placing a cooling rack on top of the pan. Rub the cooling rack with coconut oil.
- Place the patties, coconut-side up, onto the cooling rack and bake for 15-17 minutes until crispy. NOTE: we liked these better in the air fryer, as they do get a little crispier, but they are still good in the oven!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT ALDI. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 5 POINTS+:13 . OLD POINTS: 12
(per 2 patties 1/4 of the arugula/spinach)