Just letting you know that these crispy low carb whole30 paleo salmon cakes are sponsored by my friends at ALDI!
These gluten free salmon patties are made in the air fryer so they’re juicy and crispy without all the oil! A healthy, gluten/grain/dairy/sugar free meal!
PIN Low Carb Whole30 Paleo Salmon Cakes
THE FIRST AIR FRYER RECIPE.
Partially because they are so fancy and ON TREND, just like the crispy air fried fish, with the “being cooked in the air fryer situation” at hand. But also ‘cause they are packin’ some MAJOR delicious spicy-sweet flavor and seriously juicy yumminess.
With a MEGA DOSE of heart-and-brain-healthy fats to nourish you from the INSIDE OUT.
These little low carb whole30 paleo salmon cakes of LOVE are doing it ALL.
Internet BFF’s, these low carb whole30 paleo salmon cakes are NOT the keto salmon patties that you’ve experienced growing up. You know the ones that are made from questionable, canned salmon, that someone-you-love-but-didn’t-love-as-much-after-they-made-you-eat-them made for you?
Yea. NOT LIKE THOSE.
These little circles of crisp-coconut-curry lovin’ are made from ALDI FRESH Atlantic Salmon!
If you did not know, ALDI provides high-quality seafood (I know, I grew up on the west coast!) for SUPER affordable prices. They also work with the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership and Global Aquaculture Alliance to ensure that they are sourcing sustainable seafood whenever they can.
Their fish, and shellfish are comin’ from responsibly-managed fisheries! <– Seafood that you can FEEL good about and is GOOD for you.
But, really, you can feel good about ALL their ingredients. Spoiler alert: even their baking ingredients ROCK. You can make some DELISH coconut protein cookies!
Now, if you live on the face of Earth which, since you’re reading this, I assume that you do, you’re pretty “in the know” that the Air Fryer is the newest Instant Pot. It’s super sleek and cool and everyone is using it to make crispy-crunchy-fried goodness but – GASP – without the deep frying.
You know I always have your back, so I decided to get one for myself to see if this contraption IS really as “buzz worthy” as the internet world makes it out to be.
YOU. GUYS.[clickToTweet tweet=”These #paleo Coconut Curry Fresh Salmon Cakes are made SO crispy in the Air Fryer! @AldiUDA #ALDILove #Whole30 #Lowcarb” quote=”These #paleo Coconut Curry Fresh Salmon Cakes are made SO crispy in the Air Fryer! @AldiUDA #ALDILove #Whole30 #Lowcarb” theme=”style2″]
SO impressed with how this works.
It makes the outside of whatever you’re cooking (I also tried it with paleo orange chicken!) SO crispy and crunchy – maybe even MORE than deep frying?! AND, the inside? All of the juicy-yummy-flavor is still PERFECTLY packed inside. I bet it would work for gluten-free crab cakes too!
Like in these low carb salmon patties. Whiiiich, I am suggesting (read: demanding) that you make FIRST when your inner-super-cool-person comes out and decides to jump on the Air Fryer bandwagon. <–And once you’ve tried them, check out these 20 gluten free healthy air fryer recipes!
But, don’t worry, I also tried it out in the oven for those of you who don’t have one yet. Notes on that in the recipe!
Plus, these paleo salmon patties would make a MEAN alternative to meat if you’re looking for some options for Lent. Just sayin’.
It was only a matter of time until the coconut curry craving creeped in on my Atlantic salmon addiction.
Fresh (<3 <3 <3) Atlantic salmon gets diced and mixed with spicy notes of curry, that warm up the back of your throat with each munch, wrapping your taste buds with a flavorful, herb-y POW of cilantro and that naturally-sweet, coconut CRUNCH.
Mix and mingle all of that together with an emerald-green PILE of peppery-arugula and tender spinach that is hugged with a delicate swirl of coconut oil, and you’ve got some SERIOUS salmon goodness going on inside your HUNGRY belly.
Canned salmon? No thank you.
Imma get a little fresh with you today.
Salmon, that is.
Low Carb Whole30 Paleo Salmon Cakes
- 1 lb ALDI Fresh Atlantic Salmon Side (half a side)
- 1/4 Cup Avocado, mashed
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro, diced + additional for garnish
- 1 1/2 tsp Yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp Stonemill Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/4 Cup + 4 tsp Tapioca Starch, divided (40g) *Read notes for lower carb version
- 2 SimplyNature Organic Cage Free Brown Eggs
- 1/2 Cup SimplyNature Organic Coconut Flakes (30g)
- SimplyNature Organic Coconut Oil, melted (for brushing)
For the greens:
- 2 tsp SimplyNature Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- 6 Cups SimplyNature Organic Arugula & Spinach Mix, tightly packed
- Pinch of Stonemill Sea Salt Grinder
- Remove the skin from the salmon, dice the flesh, and add it into a large bowl.
- Add in the avocado, cilantro, curry powder, sea salt and stir until well mixed. Then, stir in 4 tsp of the tapioca starch until well incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form the salmon into 8, 1/4 cup-sized patties, just over 1/2 inch thick, and place them onto the pan. Freeze for 20 minutes so they are easier to work with.
- While the patties freeze, pre-heat your Air Fryer to 400 degrees for 10 minutes, rubbing the basket with coconut oil. Additionally, whisk the eggs and place them into a shallow plate. Place the remaining 1/4 cup of Tapioca starch and the coconut flakes in separate shallow plates as well.
- Once the patties have chilled, dip one into the tapioca starch, making sure it's fully covered. Then, dip it into the egg, covering it entirely, and gently brushing off any excess. Finally, press just the top and sides of the cake into the coconut flakes and place it, coconut flake-side up, into the air fryer. Repeat with all cakes. **
- Gently brush the tops with a little bit of melted coconut oil (optional, but recommended) and cook until the outside is golden brown and crispy, and the inside is juicy and tender, about 15 minutes. Note: the patties will stick to the Air Fryer basked a little, so use a sharp-edged spatula to remove them.
- When the cakes have about 5 minutes left to cook, heat the coconut oil up in a large pan on medium heat. Add in the Arugula and Spinach Mix, and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring constantly, until the greens JUST begin to wilt, only 30 seconds - 1 minute.
- Divide the greens between 4 plates, followed by the salmon cakes. Garnish with extra cilantro and DEVOUR!
If you want to bake in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, placing a cooling rack on top of the pan. Rub the cooling rack with coconut oil.
- Place the patties, coconut-side up, onto the cooling rack and bake for 15-17 minutes until crispy. NOTE: we liked these better in the air fryer, as they do get a little crispier, but they are still good in the oven!
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT ALDI. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 5 POINTS+:13 . OLD POINTS: 12
(per 2 patties 1/4 of the arugula/spinach)