PIN Low Carb Baked Cauliflower Au Gratin
What’s 6 ingredients and cheesy all over?
If you guessed this cauliflower gratin recipe then you are ONE smart cookie.
Except we’re not talking about cookies today friends. Stay on track.
Okay, so it could be more than 6 ingredients if you count the spices. But they are just so simple-pantry-essential-kinda ingredients that I KNOW you don’t have to go buy to make this keto au gratin happen in your cheesed-out-food-loving-life that we ARE not gonna count them
I’m not really a “low carb” or “keto” eater. And by “not really” I mean, liiike, NOT AT ALL. I told you about how I wanted a stuffing bar in the harvest dairy free vegan stuffing so that I can alternate between that, easy gluten free stuffing and Moroccan simple gluten free stuffing ALL turkey day long.
BUT, the one thing that I RLY RLY love about the new low carb love that we see SWEEPING across the universe is the fact that it’s bringing CHEESE back into our lives.
Why you will love this Recipe
There’s nothing like comfort food as a side dish, especially as the weather cools down this time of year. What’s better than comfort food, though? Comfort food that’s HEALTHY, of course! The cauliflower au gratin recipe I have for your today is going to satisfy your craving for something rich and savory, plus you’ll feel good about eating it! It’s creamy, it’s cheesy, it’s PACKED with flavor, and it’s perfect for picky eaters! You won’t be able to resist it and I guarantee it will become one of your go-to sides on a busy weeknight!
How to make Cauliflower Au Gratin
Cook the Cauliflower
Fire up your oven and begin working as it preheats. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the cauliflower and cook until it’s just done.
While the cauliflower is cooking, heat up a medium sized pan on the stove and melt the butter in it. Next, add in the almond flour and coconut flour, whisking constantly, until it starts to turn golden brown.
Mix in the milk, salt, and garlic and onion powders, whisking to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat a bit. Continue to stir until it becomes thick. Remove from heat and add in a bit of the shredded cheese, mixing to combine.
Add a bit of the sauce into the bottom of a pan. Place the cauliflower on top, then add the rest of the sauce over top of the cauliflower. Sprinkle the remaining cheese overtop.
Pop the casserole dish in the oven and bake until it’s bubbly and golden brown. Serve it up and DEVOUR!
Are you eating dairy free or even vegan? Here are some SUPER simple ways to be able to enjoy this cauliflower gratin recipe if you are following a diet or have food allergies and/or sensitivities:
- 2% Milk: simply swap in unsweetened, unflavored almond milk! It just takes a little longer to thicken this way!
- Cheddar cheese: Dairy-free cheddar cheese works great for this recipe.
- Butter: You guessed it – vegan butter!
Serving Suggestions for Cauliflower Au Gratin
The cheesy, rich goodness in a low-carb form that comes with this cauliflower gratin is the perfect side to any meal! I recommend serving it up with some keto steak with garlic butter mushrooms or keto philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers and some delicious (and nutritious) sauteed fresh green beans with crispy prosciutto on the side! Talk about an amazing meal that the whole family will adore!
How to make it ahead of time
You can easily make this gratin recipe ahead of time to make mealtimes less rushed! I love me some meal prep, and in this case, making it ahead of time won’t affect the taste or texture. Simply assemble the recipe as explained, then cover it with foil and keep it in the fridge for up to 1 day before you bake it in the oven!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Easy Cheesy Broccoli Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Cauliflower Low Carb Paleo Vegan Stuffing
- Mediterranean Low Carb Broccoli Salad
- Dairy Free Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- Low Carb Keto Cucumber Salad
- Turn your oven to 375 degrees and bring a large pot of salted water a boil. Add the cauliflower (once boiling) and cook until it just begins to become tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drain well and then spread out onto some paper towel. Use another layer of paper towel to gently press as much moisture out of the cauliflower as you possibly can.
- While the cauliflower cooks, melt the butter in a medium pan over medium/high heat. Once melted, add in the almond flour and coconut flour and whisk, stirring constantly, until it just begins to brown, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk, salt, garlic and onion powder and pepper until smooth and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat to medium, stirring occasionally, until VERY thick, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove the milk mixture from the heat and whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese until smooth.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of an 8×8 inch pan. Pack the cauliflower into the pan on top and then spoon the rest of the sauce over top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25-30 minutes. OPTIONAL: broil for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 6 POINTS+: 5. OLD POINTS: 4
(Per 1/6 of the recipe)
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!