This easy, healthy and keto friendly Low Carb Baked Cauliflower Au Gratin is a gluten free, delicious side dish that even the pickiest of eaters will love!
PIN Low Carb Baked Cauliflower Au Gratin
What’s 6 ingredients and cheesy all over?
If you guessed this cauliflower gratin recipe then you are ONE smart cookie.
Except we’re not talking about cookies today friends. Stay on track.
Okay, so it could be more than 6 ingredients if you count the spices. But they are just so simple-pantry-essential-kinda ingredients that I KNOW you don’t have to go buy to make this keto au gratin happen in your cheesed-out-food-loving-life that we ARE not gonna count them
You cool with that?
Yeah, I figured you’d be in too much of a cheese coma to even NOTICE. Probably not even reading and I am just sitting here, typing my undying love for the moment that this cauliflower au gratin recipe came out of my oven ALONE.
I’m not really a “low carb” or “keto” eater. And by “not really” I mean, liiike, NOT AT ALL. I told you about how I wanted a stuffing bar in the harvest dairy free vegan stuffing so that I can alternate between that, easy gluten free stuffing and Moroccan simple gluten free stuffing ALL turkey day long.
BUT, the one thing that I RLY RLY love about the new low carb love that we see SWEEPING across the universe is the fact that it’s bringing CHEESE back into our lives.
Not that it ever left MY life. I was just questioning what you guys thought about it, so I avoided it for the most part.
Of course, the dairy free hubs isn’t really into this and, if you are like him, you might not be too. So, I gotchu covered!
How to make low carb baked cauliflower au gratin dairy free
Here are some SUPER simple swaps so that you can face plant into cheese veggie goodness if you’re dairy free or even vegan!
2% Milk: simply swap in unsweetened, unflavored almond milk! It just takes a little longer to thicken this way!
Cheddar cheese: Dairy-free cheddar cheese works GR8.
Butter: You guessed it – vegan butter!
See? No weirdo ingredients. A cauliflower gratin that will roll with WHATEVER diet/lifestyle/food intolerances YOU have.
The kind of veggies that LOVE you and you will LOVE to eat them right on back.
‘Cause CHEESE. Duh.
Scalloped cauliflower is the new Thanksgiving trend you guys. I am calling it RIGHT NOW.
In other delicious news: this cheese sauce though. You’re going to taste it and feel this overwhelming SADNESS bubbling up as you pour it ALL over the tender cauliflower, allowing it to sink its velvety smooth, rich and ooey-gooey goodness around each perfect floret.
You know, because you’re going to wish that YOU were cauliflower and were being showered in the easiest, cheesiest and downright YUMMIEST sauce that you’ll ever experience.
Never ever thought that I would wish to be a vegetable in my real-person-life but, you know what they say?
There’s a first time for everything.
And I’m willing to bet REAL money that when your tongue tastes a bite of low carb baked cauliflower au gratin?
Gonna happen a WHOLE lotta times after that.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Low Carb Baked Cauliflower Au Gratin
- Turn your oven to 375 degrees and bring a large pot of salted water a boil. Add the cauliflower (once boiling) and cook until it just begins to become tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drain well and then spread out onto some paper towel. Use another layer of paper towel to gently press as much moisture out of the cauliflower as you possibly can.
- While the cauliflower cooks, melt the butter in a medium pan over medium/high heat. Once melted, add in the almond flour and coconut flour and whisk, stirring constantly, until it just begins to brown, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk, salt, garlic and onion powder and pepper until smooth and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat to medium, stirring occasionally, until VERY thick, about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove the milk mixture from the heat and whisk in 1/2 cup of the cheese until smooth.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of an 8x8 inch pan. Pack the cauliflower into the pan on top and then spoon the rest of the sauce over top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 25-30 minutes. OPTIONAL: broil for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and DEVOUR!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 6 POINTS+: 5. OLD POINTS: 4
(Per 1/6 of the recipe)
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!