These Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats are a quick, simple breakfast that are only 2 ingredients! Naturally gluten free, vegan, healthy and SO filling!
PIN Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
It’s simple, quick, SO satisfying and you can top it so many ways.
Plus, you can make it so many ways. You can make it into cookie dough overnight oats or snickerdoodle vegan overnight oats, you can add some protein into them and make cookie dough protein oatmeal or cinnamon roll protein oatmeal or you can even make slow cooker oatmeal.
BUT the slow cooker is so 2018 and now we’re all about the instant pot so instant pot steel cut oatmeal is the NEW thing to eat for breakfast.
Don’t worry though, if you’re not ultra trendy and don’t have an Instant pot, just make easy overnight steel cut oats. I got you.
What are steel cut oats?
Steel cut oats are the groats (inner kernel with the inedible hull removed) of whole oats which have been chopped into or two pieces.
The Difference Between Steel Cut Oats and Rolled Oats
Steel cut oats have more fiber than rolled oats, and less calories per volume. They also have a lower glycemic index than rolled oats. Steel cut oats also absorb less liquid during their cook time, which leaves them a lot firmer in texture than rolled oats. They also take a lot longer to cook than rolled oats.
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats Ingredients
To make Instant Pot oats you only need 2 simple ingredients:
- Steel cut oats
How To Make Steel Cut Oats in Instant Pot
Just like making instant pot rice, you need to rinse your dry steel cut oats in a mesh strainer under water until the water runs clear
Mix the rinsed oats with the water in your Instant Pot
Put the lid on, make sure it’s set to “sealing” and cook on high pressure for 7-9 minutes, depending on how creamy you like your oatmeal!
Let the Instant pot stand for 10 minutes before you do a pressure release and then EAT!
How long to cook Instant Pot steel cut oats
I like my oatmeal to be creamy, so I like mine best cooked at 7 minutes. But if you’re a thick oatmeal kind of person, you may want to experiment between 8 or 9 minutes. Don’t cook the oats longer or they will likely just burn to the bottom of your Instant Pot!
This Instant Pot steel cut oats recipe can be topped so many ways depending on your mood! Some of my favorite things to use as toppings are:
- Nut butter – especially homemade almond butter, cinnamon roll homemade cashew butter or vegan cake batter cashew butter.
- Fruit – I’m a big strawberry fan
- Protein powder – not really a topping, but a great mix in to add protein and flavor! THIS is my go-to protein to mix in
- Nut and seeds – especially when you add them with fruit for a sweet crunch
- Coconut flakes
- Eggs – Make savory oatmeal like the egg muffins with savory oatmeal crust! <– Don’t knock it until you try it!
Make up a BIG pot of oats this week and have them for busy morning breakfasts! Just reheat, add a little milk to re-hydrate and EAT.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and you are KILLING it!
Other Healthy Oatmeal Recipes:
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Instant pot
- 1 Cup Steel Cut Oats (GF if needed)
- 2 Cups Water
- Pinch of salt
- Place the oats in a mesh strainer. Rinse until the water runs clear.
- Place the oats into the instant pot and mix in the water and a pinch of salt.
- Cover (make sure it's set to sealing!) and cook on manual pressure for 7 minutes for creamy oats or 8-9 minutes for less creamy oats.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, then do a quick steam release.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 4 POINTS+: 4. OLD POINTS: 2
(per 1/4 of the recipe)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!