This Healthy Gluten Free Sugar Free Carrot Cake is SO moist and tender, you’ll never know it’s low carb, oil and butter free, made with Greek yogurt, only 170 calories and 5 WW Freestyle points! Perfect for Easter!
PIN Healthy Gluten Free Sugar Free Carrot Cake
Continuing to obsess over baked goods that allow me to pretend like I’m eating a plate full of veggies.
Well, only one kind of baked good: CARROT CAKE.
Just making sure the Easter bunny has ALL the gluten free carrot cakery that he/she needs to experience this spicy-sweet, MOIST cake deliciousness no matter what kind of eating habits said bunny follows. Even if it’s a WILD bunny, I have gluten free oatmeal carrot muffins with GARAM MASALA for it.
Also, internet BFFS, in this scenario Y-O-U are the Easter bunny that I am trying to cater different-diet-friendly carrot cake to.
How do you feel about being a bunny? Maybe don’t answer that.
Anyway. I KNOW that you’re gonna feel SO good about this sugar free carrot cake recipe.
This healthy gluten free sugar free carrot cake is a person-who-enjoys-fitness-but-probably-enjoys-eating-dessert-a-whole-lot-mores (which is most likely you. DEFINITELY me) dream in the sense that it’s made EXTRA super moist with swirls of protein PACKED Greek yogurt.
Aaand Compl-EAT with GREEK YOGURT CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
NO BUTTER. PROTEIN TIMES TWO.
Muscle building carrot cake is a real thing that exists in this universe and it’s gonna make you really excited about living this crazy little thing called life.
We all need SOMETHING to get us through it right? Right.
Like all classic recipes, this healthy carrot cake recipe has the usual suspects:
- Warm, spicy-goodness in the form of cozy cinnamon and JUST the right amount of nutmeg.
- Crunchy flecks of pecans in EVERY bite.
- Chewy notes of rich, flavorful coconut flakes and a 1-2 PUNCH of coconut flour. <– Double the coconut, double the YUM.
What this healthy gluten free sugar free carrot cake DOES NOT have is sugar (obvs. Due to the name) or any kind of oil.
Just the GREEK YOGURT GOOD STUFF that we talked about.
Things that might make you go AHH: the amount of eggs in this recipe. Let me answer all your questions, so you can save the time of writing them in the comments:
Yes, there are 9 of them.
No, that is not a typo. No, you can’t use less. Yes, it DOES add a lot of protein (on TOP of the yogurt) to this low sugar carrot cake. Nope, they do not make the cake eggy and soggy and GROSS.
PROMISE. Made Mr. FFF bring a whole gluten-free carrot cake to school to get the opinion of people who eat “normal food” and they all gave it 5 GOLD STARS of approval.
They all agreed that it was just a double decker of perfectly spicy, perfectly sweet and SUPREMELY MOIST cake action, slathered with DREAMY, secretly muscle-pumpin’ frosting.
No weirdo texture shenanigans goin’ on.
Nothin’ unexpected to see.
Except for maybe your plate being emptied into your cake-munching-mouth before you even REALIZE IT.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Get this recipe with Facebook Messenger
For the cake:
- 1 1/4 Cups + 2 Tbsp Coconut flour, sifted (136g)*
- 4 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 9 Large eggs
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp Erythritol Sweetener (I used swerve) **
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp Plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 4 Cups Carrot, grated and lightly packed (392g or about 7 large carrots)
- 3/4 Cup Pecans, diced (85g) *** + additional for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened coconut flakes (27g)
For the frosting:
- 12 Oz Light cream cheese, at room temperature (1.5 bricks)
- 3/4 Cup Plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Cup Powdered Erythritol Sweetener (I used swerve)
For the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line two 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper, spraying the exposed sides with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda and powder, salt and nutmeg.
- In a separate, large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the eggs, sweetener, Greek yogurt and vanilla until well combined. Stir in the coconut flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Gently fold in the carrots, pecans and coconut flakes until well combined. Let the batter stand for 10 minutes so the coconut flour can begin to absorb the moisture. Your batter will be thick, this is normal.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 2 pans, spreading out smoothly. Bake until the sides are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool COMPLETELY before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and yogurt on high speed until fluffy. Add in the vanilla and beat until combined.
- Set the mixer on low speed and gradually add in the powdered sweetener, until you've added all of it and it's well combined. Return to high speed and beat for 2-3 minutes until the frosting is fluffy.
- Place one layer bottom side up on a cake stand. Spread 3/4 cup of the frosting all over it evenly. Then, place the other cake bottom side up gently on top.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting all over the cake to make the crumb coat. It doesn't have to be pretty, it's just to seal in the crumbs. Chill for at least an hour, up to overnight. Put the remaining frosting in the fridge too, so it starts to firm up.
- Once chilled, frost the entire cake. I find an offset spatula really helps! Garnish with extra pecans, if desired.
Tips & Notes:
**You can PROBABLY use whatever sugar free sweetener you prefer. However, only Swerve has been tested with this recipe. You could also use regular sugar, but will obviously change the nutritional information. ***Make sure you cut the pecans very small or it makes it hard to cut the cake as they make it break in areas. Total time includes does not include chilling the crumb coat or letting the baked cake cool.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 5 POINTS+: 5 . OLD POINTS:4
(per 1/16 of cake)
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOKAND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!