This Healthy Gluten Free Blueberry Crisp uses simple, pantry-essential ingredients and is refined sugar free! A healthy summer dessert for all!
PIN Healthy Gluten Free Blueberry Crisp
I mean, we learned in the gluten free rhubarb crisp with strawberries that berries + crispy, crunchy, sweet and spicy streusel = heaven in your mouth and this blueberry version is NO DIFFERENT.
Plus you and I know both know that blueberries are secretly the best Summer fruit and any way that we can eat them (especially with streusel) is a win in our books.
Sorry raspberries and strawberries. Your time is not now.
What makes this Blueberry Crisp Healthy?
I’m such a fan of taking an AMAZING summer fruit and fixing it up into a delicious and satisfying dessert, like a Easy Gluten Free Vegan Apple Crisp Crumble or a Grilled Cherry Crisp with Chocolate and Almonds. BUT as I already said, blueberries just steal the show in the summertime and THIS gluten free blueberry dessert is going to have you riding the blueberry train if you’re not already! And what if I told you that this particular blueberry crisp is a better-for-you version? Here’s a few swaps I made to the classic:
- White Sugar: Instead of regular white sugar, I went for a more natural and less refined sweetener- coconut sugar! It brings the sweetness you are looking for and cooks well, but is a better-for-you choice!
- All Purpose Flour: Instead of classic white flour, I chose to use a combination of almond flour and tapioca starch, which makes this dessert better for you, protein packed, AND gluten free!
- Butter: I opted out of butter this time to make this crisp dairy-free, and used coconut oil instead!
Can I use Frozen Blueberries?
If this gluten free berry crisp is sounding like a winner to you, but you don’t want to run out for fresh blueberries, don’t sweat it! I did create this recipe using fresh blueberries, although I do think that frozen ones would work too! I haven’t tried it myself, but if you want to swap out the fresh blueberries for frozen, go ahead and give it a try! I recommend thawing them before baking.
Can I use other berries?
Another question that you might have is if you can swap out the blueberries altogether for a different kind of berries. I’m all about mixing things up, so if you want to try this crisp recipe with raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, or any other berries you love, I say go for it! Just be sure to measure the berries by weight instead of cup for cup to ensure proper ratios!
Gluten Free Blueberry Crisp Ingredients
To make this tasty and better-for-you blueberry crisp, you’ll need a handful of ingredients:
- Fresh Blueberries
- Coconut Sugar
- Almond Flour
- Tapioca Starch
- Lemon Juice
- Rolled Old Fashioned Oats (GF if needed)
- Slivered Almonds
- Sea Salt
- Coconut oil, melted
How to make Gluten Free Blueberry Crisp
Set your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and allow it to preheat. Spray a pie plate generously with cooking spray.
In a medium sized bowl, place all of the filling ingredients and stir until they are well incorporated. Spread this mixture evenly in the bottom of your pie plate.
In a separate medium sized bowl, add all the crumble ingredients besides the coconut oil and stir to combine, breaking up the almond pieces a bit. Next, add in the coconut oil and mix to combine, leaving some chunky bits!
Spread the crumble over top of the blueberries. Bake until the crumble is golden brown and the blueberries are bubbling, which should take approximately 45 minutes.
Let the crisp cool for at least 10 minutes, then serve it up and enjoy!
How to freeze Gluten Free Blueberry Cobbler
If you want to prep a few of these ahead of time and freeze them, go for it! I find the texture is best if you bake it immediately, however if you do decide to pop it in the freezer, I recommend not baking it first. Cover it tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. When you’re ready to bake it, thaw it in the fridge and then bake the next day according to the recipe!
Other Healthy Summer Desserts
Healthy Gluten Free Blueberry Crisp
For the filling:
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a pie plate with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine all the filling ingredients and spread evenly onto the bottom of the pie plate.
- In a separate, medium bowl, combine all the crumble ingredients, except the coconut oil, making sure to break up the almonds slightly, until well mixed.
- Add in the coconut oil and stir until well mixed, leaving some nice chunky bits.
- Spread the crumble over top of the blueberries.
- Bake until the crumbly is golden brown and the blueberries are bubbly, about 45 mins-1 hour.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes and then DEVOUR!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW WITH THINGS GOING ON AT FFF (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!