This Healthy French Toast Bake is loaded with fresh peaches and a crunchy, almond streusel. Quick, easy and can be made ahead!
Welcome to the second annual brunch week hosted by Terri of Love and Confections and Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen! Join us May 5th through 11th while we celebrate the deliciousness of brunch and to prepare for Mother’s Day and summer brunching season. We have 32 bloggers bringing you their best brunch game, from cocktails to eggs benedict to donuts, there is something for everything this week. Our amazing sponsors have donated some great prizes for a gigantic giveaway, please visit them all for more information. And now onto the food!
Remember that Panera Hummus Chicken Power Salad, when I wrote an Ode to Panera Salads?
I’ve got another one for you. But, this time, I’m going “Breakfast Ode-y” on you.
It goes a little something like this:
Oh my dear French Toast,
For breakfast, I love you the most,
With your healthy, whole wheat yum,
You sure feel good in my tum!
You’re bursting with fresh peaches,
And, man oh man, I’m glad those aren’t leeches! (not much rhymes with peaches)
You’re topped with a nom-er-ific crunch
Which make you perfect for brunch!
You see what I did there, now this is perfect for ending Brunchweek! I mean, we have our own theme Ode WHICH mentions eating this for such an event.
I win at Odes.
Ifff we’re comparing them to the ones that little kids write in Kindergarten. Whatever. You liked it.
But what does win is this healthy French toast.
I think you’ll love this one for a twenty million and two reasons, but here are my key points (I realize I use points and bullets just about every post. But, they bring me joy. Don’t ask)
1. It’s SO EASY and you can make it the night before, and just pop ‘er in the oven in the morning. That means you can have decadent breakfast yumnosity on a WORK MORNING. I know. Mind blown.
2. It’s healthy. See above mentioned “feel good in my tum.”
3. Remember that Peach Martini? Peaches are delicious. And this has peaches. Which means this? It’s delicious.
4. Streusel makes everything better. Plus, this streusel is a little different – it’s more “nutty” than “floury” (does that make sense?) So it’s all “WHABAM” for your taste buds. You know, since they expect all streusels to lack the nut factor. Right? Yes.
But, the most important part about this Baked healthy French Toast? Umm, you guys, pretty food right here! *insert Taylor jumping up and down and pointing emphatically at French toast*
I personally love meals that look fancy pants enough to serve to guests but, little do they know, this girl was definitely not wearing any fancy pants when cookin’ it up.
Cooking pretty food in Pajamas for the win!
- 5 Slices whole wheat bread
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup liquid egg whites about 4 large whites
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ginger powder
- 1 small peach diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp Honey
For the Topping:
- 2 Tbsp Oat flour just put 2 Tbsp oatmeal into a food processor
- 2 Tbsp Rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp Almonds sliced
- 1/8 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil melted
- Additional honey for drizzling.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, egg whites, almond milk, vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon and ginger.
- Tear of the crust from the bread and rip it into cubes.
- Stir the cubes of bread in the egg mixture, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours – overnight (the longer the better!)
- To bake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray two oval Brule dishes with cooking spray. *
- In a small bowl, stir together the diced peaches and 1 Tbsp of honey until the peaches are well coated.
- Stir the peaches into the bread mixture and then divide the bread mixture evenly between the 2 prepared dishes.
- In a small bowl, combine all the topping ingredients except the oil.
- Once the ingredients are well mixed, stir in the oil and mix until you have a chunky streusel and the oil is well dispersed.
- Divide the streusel evenly between each dish and bake until the eggs feel set, about 25 minutes.
- Turn you oven to high broil and then drizzle the French toast with a little bit of honey. Place back into the oven and broil for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the topping is nice and golden. It burns quickly, so watch it closely!
- Take out of the oven and let cool 5-10 minutes (It’s REALLY HOT!) and then DEVOUR!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
Want more French toast?
Pumpkin Pie French Toast Casserole
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment