These BBQ Chicken Low Carb Healthy Quesadillas are made with egg whites, so they are light, healthy and protein-packed! Easy to make and filling!
PIN Low Carb Healthy Quesadillas
MMHMMMM, we went there!
You knew it was only a matter of time until my favorite egg tortilla-like-thing turned into a quesadilla.
I mean, the grilled Mexican Quesadillas were cool and all, but have you tried using EGG WHITES?
These quesadillas are seriously packed with protein, yet have all the cheesy, BBQ chicken-goodness that you LOVE! No skimping on flavor here!
Can quesadillas be healthy?
I am seriously SUCH a fan of all kinds of Mexican food! It is delicious, pretty much EVERYONE loves it, and there are so many dishes that pair well together when you’re throwing a Mexican Fiesta. Mexican Corn Salad with Honey Lime Shrimp is a go-to of mine, and Mexican Zucchini Lasagna has always been a favorite on the blog, too! ANOTHER classic Mexican recipe is quesadillas and I know you’re going to go crazy over these Low Carb Chicken Quesadillas I’m going to show you today! Quesadillas can totally be a healthy option, and these quesadillas are protein packed and nourishing for your body!
Low carb Healthy Quesadillas Ingredients
Did you know that quesadillas can still be tasty, have that Mexican flavor and flair that you love, and not even use a traditional tortilla!? Well, it’s TRUE! This bomb Healthy Chicken Quesadilla Recipe use egg whites to create a tortilla you will love. Here is what you’ll need to my them:
- Shredded Chicken Breast
- Avocado Oil Spray
- Liquid Egg Whites
- BBQ sauce of choice (gluten free if desired)
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
Chicken Quesadillas Ingredients
Ok, so we know that this Healthy Quesadilla Recipe is nourishing, protein packed, and delicious, but you may be wondering one thing. For the “tortillas”, why do I recommend using egg whites instead of whole eggs? The answer is simple; egg whites on their own are less flavorful, therefore making them a great substitute for a regular flour tortilla. This way, the filling is the star of the show instead of tasting the egg yolks in the tortilla. If you want to use whole eggs, though, feel free to give it a go, it’ll just taste more egg-like!
How to Make Low Carb Healthy Quesadillas
Now that we have our ingredients rounded, up, let’s go ahead and get started!
Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the chicken and cook until it is no longer pink inside, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Set your oven to broil and position your oven’s rack on the second to the top spot. Spray a baking sheet with avocado oil and set aside.
Make the “Tortillas”
Spray some avocado oil in a small pan and set the heat to high. Once hot, turn the heat back down to low and add ½ cup the egg whites to the pan. Allow it to cook until set, about 5 minutes, and then remove the “tortilla” and add it to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the egg whites until you have 4 tortillas.
In a bowl, shred the chicken breast using 2 forks and add in the barbeque sauce. Mix until the chicken is well coated.
Divide the chicken between 2 of the “tortillas” and spread it around to evenly cover the surface of each. Divide the cheese and cilantro evenly over the tortillas as well. Next, cover with the other 2 tortillas. Spray the tops of the quesadillas with avocado oil spray.
Place the pan with the quesadillas under the broiler and allow them to cook until lightly browned and crispy- about 15 minutes, give or take.
Let cool, slice in half if desired, and DEVOUR!!
What can I put in my quesadillas?
Something so fun about Mexican food is that you can mix it up and try new combinations of flavors and just have fun with it! The same goes for these quesadillas- feel free to jazz them up by playing around with the filling. A fun idea would be to use my Mexican Mini Bell Pepper Nachos recipe as an alternative filling for the quesadillas, or jazz them up by serving up some Grilled Pineapple Salsa with Mango and Corn on the side! So much YUM!
Other Healthy BBQ Chicken Recipes
BBQ Chicken Low Carb Healthy Quesadillas
- 1 Cup Chicken breast, shredded (about 1 small breast)
- Avocado Oil Spray
- 2 Cups Liquid Egg whites
- 1/4 Cup BBQ sauce of choice + additional for drizzling (low carb if desired)
- 2/3 Cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2-4 Tbsp Cilantro chopped
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the chicken breast until no longer pink inside, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat you broiler to HIGH, and adjust your oven rack to the 2nd from the top placement. Spray a baking sheet with Avocado Oil. Set aside.
- Spray a small pan with Avocado Oil and heat to High heat. Once hot, turn down the heat to low and slowly pour in 1/2 cup of the egg whites. Cover and cook until the top of the egg whites appear just set, about 5 minutes. Slide the egg "tortilla" onto the prepared baking sheet, and repeat with the remaining egg whites, until you have 4 "tortillas". Place all tortillas onto the prepared baking sheet and spray the top of them with Avocado Oil.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken and place into a bowl. Add in the BBQ sauce and mix until the chicken is well coated.
- Divide the shredded chicken between two of the "tortillas" and spread out to cover the "tortilla." Divide the cheese and cilantro on top of the chicken, and then spray with Avocado oil. Cover with the additional tortillas, un-cooked side of the egg white down. Spray the tops of the quesadillas with Avocado Oil.
- Place the quesadillas under the broiler, and broil until lightly crisp and egg whites begin to bubble, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool and DEVOUR.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!