Just wanted to let you know that this post is sponsored by my MOO-velous friends over at The American Dairy Association Mideast!
This quick and easy gluten free mac and cheese uses zucchini noodles and Greek yogurt to keep it light, healthy, low carb and protein packed! It’s the perfect healthy comfort food that’s only 250 calories!
Ooey-gooey cheesy levels on OVERDRIVE folks.
That’s what this bowl of (low carb! Protein PACKED!) goodness IS.
You would have never thought that something made with veggie noodles could be SO pleasing to that comfort-food-<3er inside of you but A-L-S-O to that ugh-bikini-body-season-quickly-approaches side of you that is slowly creeping out.
Why make the choice between listening to the very-real part of you that wants to live off crockpot paleo cookies or the logical-but-not-fun side of you that annoying tells you to reach for the leafy-green kale salad recipe instead.
Please don’t tell me I am the only one who’s inner mind-workings are so dramatic.
BUT TODAY, we are SRSLY about to channel ALL of that struggle into something happy, delicious and FULL OF CHEESE. And veggies.
June is Dairy Month so I’m continuing last year’s partnership with the American Dairy Association to help celebrate it. When coming up with a dairy-heavy recipe, my brain OBVI went to healthy mac and cheese.
But then I thought you might throw something at me for presenting you with photos of drippy strings of cheesy heaven in the middle of beach-going season.
Can we all agree that zucchini noodle and Greek yogurt are basically the world’s most delicious compromise? I think YES.[Tweet “#Lowcarb and protein packed Zucchini Noodle Mac and Cheese is perfect for summer! @ADAMideast”]
I’m of the thinking that zucchini noodles can really do no wrong. I mean, zucchini lasagna? CAN DO IT. Zucchini noodle chicken noodle soup? WHY YES IT CAN. And now creamy, gluten free mac and cheese that is somehow light, fresh and HEALTHY.
I know. Your excitement level is about a 12 on the scale of gross things –> things you want to put into your face for all the years left of your life.
Before we roam free to shovel long, tender-crisp strands of deliciously-nutritious veggie noodles mixed up with the richest, creamiest cheesy sauce AND bursts of tangy, chewy sun-dried tomatoes into our food-loving-faces we need to go to Zoodle Mac and Cheese School for a second. <– Capitals to make it look like a real legit school that I did not just make up.
ZOODLE MAC 101:
- You MUST put some muscle into squeezing out the water from your zucchini noodles. Just like when making cauliflower pizza, this is the secret to having thick, luscious sauce. No watery, thin icky stuff yo.
- You will worry when you add in the cheese…and it’s globby. In all seriousness, if globby cheese is something you’re worried about, well, STOP. It’s delicious. BUT, if you ARE worried, just wait for the Greek yogurt. It smooooooths things ALL that.
- Zucchini noodle mac and cheese is BEST eaten right away. BUT, it does perform quite well in the department of leftovers. As long as you have a microwave to re-meltify the cheese situation.
Do we feel educated and all-knowing and ready to take on the zoodle mac world by STORM?
All of that teaching worked up an appetite. I vote we break for lunch hour.
I bet I can guess EXACTLY what’s in your lunch kit.
Gluten Free Mac and Cheese with Zucchini Noodles
- 4 lbs Large zucchinis or 6 Medium spiralized with the 3mm blade (about 2 1/2 zucchini pre-spiralizing or 10 lightly packed cups post-spiralizing)
- 1 1/2 Cups Grated Mozzarella cheese lighted packed (5 oz)
- 3/4 Cup Parmesan cheese grated (2 oz)
- 1/2 Cup Plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Sun-dried tomatoes with Italian herbs * not packed in oil
- 1 tsp Garlic salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Bring a LARGE pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add in the zucchini noodles, breaking any really long noodles up as you add them to the pot (this makes it easier to mix with the cheese later,) and cook just until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the noodles into a colander, making sure to get all of the water out of the pot. Place the pot back onto the stove and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- REALLY shake out the water from the zucchini noodles and then transfer them to a kitchen towel. Place another kitchen towel under (so you have a double-layer of towels) and squeeze the top of the zucchini noodles, trying to get as much water out as you can. The water is HOT, so don't directly grab the kitchen towel where the zucchini noodles are wrapped, as you could burn yourself.
- Then, transfer the zucchini noodles onto a layer of paper towel. Place another layer of paper towel on top and squeeze out any water, being careful not to burn yourself (you do need to work quickly, as the noodles need to stay hot.) Repeat once more with another piece of paper towel, so that you've pressed the zucchini noodles out twice.**
- Transfer the noodles back to the pot on medium low heat and stir in the cheese, a few handfuls at a time. Add more cheese once the previous addition is melted. It might be a little bit globby, but that's normal and the Greek yogurt helps smooth it once.
- Once all the cheese is added and melted, stir in the Greek yogurt until well combined.
- Finally, stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and a pinch of pepper.
- Garnish with fresh basil (if desired) and devour IMMEDIATELY. ***
*If you're tomatoes are really dry and tough, soak them in a small bowl of water until ready to use, to re-hydrate them.
** Really try to get as much water out as you can, so you don't end up with soggy, watery mac and cheese!
*** These mac and cheese is definitely best served immediately, but you can reheat it later if need be.
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY THE AMERICAN DAIRY ASSOCIATION MIDEAST. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN.
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: SmartPoints: 5 Points+: 6. Old Points: 5
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more cheese zucchini noodles?
Make sure to check out all the dairy month recipes!
Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie by Recipe Runner
Creamy Summer Fruit Pizzas by Frugal Foodie Mama
Lemon Mousse Dessert Cups by Inside BruCrew Life
Peach Blueberry Smoothie Bowls by A Cedar Spoon
Chipotle Lime Chicken Taco Bowl with Mango Chipotle Sauce by Spoonful of Flavor
Lemon Yogurt Parfaits with Blueberries & Honey-Glazed Walnuts by Love Grows Wild
Honey Mustard Yogurt Chicken Skewers by Garnish with Lemon
Green Smoothie Parfait Pops by In Katrina’s Kitchen
Moose Tracks Milkshake by Lemons for Lulu
Zucchini Noodle Mac and Cheese with Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Food Faith Fitness
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!