This healthy, gluten free grilled zucchini and green bean salad is a simple, easy summer side dish that is only 80 calories! Paleo, whole30 and vegan friendly too!
Simple food is sometimes the key to my heart.
Liiiike, this green bean salad that your eyeballs are peepin’ here?
It’s, liiiiiiike, KINDA BASIC.
Pretty much just a mish-mash of simple, whole-food veggie nutrition with a little charry-smoky GRILLY vibes, and slathered in the most RIDICULOUSLY addictive date balsamic vinaigrette.
Familiar Italian-esque flavors. Pantry-essential ingredients. SUPER yummy salad goals being CRUSHED.
If I’m being honest with you, just like that mango avocado smoothie with watermelon, this salad was also birthed in one of those “look into the refrigerator and play the ‘how do I make something DELISH out of these random leftover vegetables that are on their LAST LEG at the bottom of the crisper drawer.’”
Don’t lie. We’ve all been there. And, we ALL know that crisper drawer is secret code for “vegetable hell.”
It’s where veggies go TO DIE. #TRUELIFEFACTS
Grilling near-death vegetables is one of the sure-fire ways to make them totally delish and avoid that awkward limp-wilty situation that old vegetables kinda have going on. It ALSO makes your current-real-life-food VRY VRY seasonally appropriate.
Would you want to eat a pile of scalloped sweet potatoes in the middle of the summer?
Actually, YOU MIGHT. Buuuut BIKINI BODIES MY INTERNET FRIENDS.
In other VRY VRY exciting-for-your-taste buds news: DATE. BALSAMIC. VINAIGRETTE. <–This would also be very delicious on a balsamic grilled vegetable salad!
Kinda just easy-breezy-skimmed over it a few paragraphs back and my brain is saying “WHY.”
Blending dates into the tangy balsamic vinegar gives it this INTENSE thick-sticky and perfectly (naturally!) sweet flavor profile that calms down all the vinegar-y bursts in a way that glides over your tongue, coats every single taste bud with creamy-saucy-goodness and makes you REALLY excited to be eating vegetables.
I know. You thought that would never be “a thing.”
If you’re one of those normal human people who doesn’t generally just eat a HYOOGE bowl of grilled vegetables for dinner, and is looking for a little “main dish” action to add to the grilled-green-bean party that is currently happening, might I suggest:
- This crusted quinoa chicken recipe?
- Maybe some spinach and artichoke stuffed chicken breast is more your fancy?
- Or, MAYBE you’re like me in the sense that you don’t eat food that makes any sense together? If you answered “YEP” then you MUST go with Indian Paleo Chicken Kebab Recipe.
I mean, why eat food from one part of the world, when you could eat TWO parts at ONCE?
Also, if you ARE one of those people who is planning to side-dish-turned-main-dish, and doesn’t need no fancy chicken ideas…
You’re still welcome here.
Grilled Zucchini and Green Bean Salad
For the salad:
For the dressing:
- 1/2 Cup Balsamic vinegar
- 8 Large dates (I used Deglet Noor - about 70g)
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat your grill to high heat for at least 10 minutes.
- Place the beans and zucchini into a large bowl. Add in in the olive oil, Italian seasoning and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and toss until evenly coated.
- Place directly onto the grill, spreading out evenly, and cook until nice and charred, about 10-13 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the veggies cook, place the balsamic vinegar and dates into a SMALL food processor (mine is 3 cups) and blend until smooth.
- With the food processor running, stream in the oil until well mixed. Season to taste with salt.
- Transfer the grilled veggies into a large bowl and add in the chopped tomato. Pour the dressing on and toss until well coated. Finally, season to taste with salt (if needed) and stir in the basil.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 5 POINTS+: 2. OLD POINTS: 1
(per 1/8 of the salad)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS! ????
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!