These quick and easy egg muffins have a vegetable and savory oatmeal crust! They’re a healthy and gluten free portable snack or breakfast for busy mornings, with only 80 calories and 2 SmartPoints!
My name is Taylor and sometimes I decide to jump on ALL OF THE bandwagons ever. Andddd, in one week.
Go big or GO HOME RIGHT? Except don’t go home. I want you to stay here with me foreverrrrr. WHEEEE!
In the last it’s been sort of like “what kind of super-cool, modern and hip n’ trendy food can I throw at your probably-already-eating-said-hip-trendy-food-10-years ago selves, because I am SUPER behind the times, and want to join the ranks of utter cool-cat-awesomness with YOU.”
Longest sentence of life award? I think YES.
Last Wednesday (which is technically the same week, since it’s Wednesday today) we ate Paleo Chipotle Burrito bowls. WHIIICH are trendy (because the day that Chipotle goes out of style, is a day that I don’t want to ever see happen in my life time) in and of themselves. BUT, food in bowls is also the new “thang” right now. So it was like bandwagon-jumping-food SQUARED.
So much bowl-age, so little time.
I’m not even mad about it. And you really shouldn’t be either. There’s a reason that trendy food is, well, trendy:
It tastes REALLY GOOD IN YOUR MOUTH.
Now, hold onto your taste buds peeps, because things are about get even more off-the-charts-crazy town today. Liiiiike, we’re talking, ultra-modern-food-alert to the power of FOUR
Savory oatmeal is IN DA HOUSE.
Or on the internet. Whatever. It’s here. And It’s going to fulfill every desire that the healthy breakfast meal prep AND protein-PACKED-snack loving person that I know you are has.
Tall orders from such a small food item with an even smaller ingredient list, yes. But, these savory oatmeal breakfast egg muffins guys? THEY STAND FIRM under that heavy load of awesome-sauce claims.
Savory oatmeal. Let’s discuss. Have you jumped onboard this wholesome and nutritious breakfast, or even DINNER/MAIN DISH, train yet? My friend Taylor from “The Lifting Revolution” told me about it after she interviewed me for a podcast a few weeks back. You guys know how I basically obsess over a bowl of creamy, FILLING cookie dough overnight oats, so I was intrigued. But, also nervous. I mean oatmeal that had no stevia and fruity-fresh sweetness all jamming together in one bowl of breakfast LOVE?
Naaaaat so sure about that.
But, they say life begins at the edge of your comfort zone. Which is probably a little dramatic for simply trying a new way of making an oatmeal recipe.
But, really, it isn’t. You understand.
The other Taylor told me to top my (stevia-less. GAH) oatmeal with roasted Brussels sprouts, various other vegetal friends and a poached egg. <— On board with that one. A-L-W-A-Y-S.
So I tried it.
Anddddd I actually barely remember eating this bowl of magical breakfast heaven because I INHALED IT FASTER THAN ANYTHING I HAVE EVER EATEN.
Like. Whoa. Where has oatmeal of the savory variety been for my 25 years of life on this floating ball of green and blue swirlies that we call planet Earth?! Naturally I began eating it every morning, in various ways. Currently favorite: this slow cooker savory oatmeal from Cotter Crunch.
But. You know what? I know you guys are ALL about them breakfasts that you can eat while you drive to work. And a bowl of oatmeal IS NOT THAT.
For serious. I’ve tried it. There were MANY almost-accidents that occurred. DO NOT DO IT.
BUT DOOOOOO turn your savory oatmeal into a cup of roasted, fresh veggies with a dash of salty, seasoning spices and then FILL it with rich, creamy, protein-POWERhouse scrambled eggs.
Then come over and join me in the corner of “team savory oats.”
We have t-shirts.
Egg Muffins with Savory Oatmeal Vegetable Crust
- 1 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Old fashioned oats gluten free if needed
- 1/8 tsp Salt + additional for the eggs
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3/4 Cup Broccoli cut into very small pieces
- 1/3 Cup Red pepper diced
- 3 Tbsp Onions diced
- 1 tsp Seasoning salt
- 1 Egg whites
- 3 Large eggs
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and GENEROUSLY spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. *
- In a medium pot, combine the water, oats, 1/8 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper and bring to a boil on high heat. Boil, stirring constantly, until the water is absorbed and the oatmeal is very thick, about 2 minutes. Transfer into a large bowl to cool.
- Heat the olive oil up in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add in the broccoli, red pepper, onion and seasoning salt and cook until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked veggies into the bowl with the oats, along with 1 the egg whites and stir until well mixed. Your batter will be very moist.
- Divide the batter between 8 of the muffin cavities, which is about 3 Tbsp per cavity. Press the oat mixture flat into each cavity and then use a small spoon, or your fingers (I think fingers is easier) and press up the sides to make a cup. Make sure the sides have a little thickness to them, keeping the bottom as thin as possible with no holes in the cup that the eggs could run through.
- Bake until the edges of the cup are lightly brown, crispy and pull away from the sides of the cavity, and the bottom of the cup feels set, about 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the 3 eggs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Divide the mixture between the cooked oatmeal cups, filling about 3/4 of the way up. Bake until the eggs feel set, about 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool COMPLETELY** in the pan and then run a very sharp knife around the outsides of the cup to remove.
** Do not remove before they are completely cool, or they will not come out of the pan properly!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMARTPOINTS: 2 POINTS+: 2. OLD POINTS: 2
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more easy oatmeal recipes?
Egg muffins from around the web:
Veggie Muffin Frittatas – Scrummy Lane
Low Carb Egg Muffins with Ham and Cheese – Kalyn’s Kitchen
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!