This Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce is a super easy meal that is naturally gluten free, vegan friendly and SO tasty! A healthy, fall dinner for busy weeknights!
It’s pumpkin season!
Which means you’re already ready for low carb sugar free pumpkin pie right? I know Thanksgiving is still PRETTY far away but is it wrong to be dreaming of pumpkin pie in September?
I hope not.
BUT, have you pushed yourself OUTSIDE of the pumpkin-is-for-sweet recipes box and tried savory pumpkin recipe? A curry pumpkin stew with some slow cooker curry with pumpkin would make a DELISH fall dinner. Or maybe some roast pumpkin with maple syrup is more your side dish style?
Or, if you’re more of a carb queen (like yours truly!) you are going to fall head over taste buds in LOVE with this pumpkin pasta sauce recipe! <– Can pretty much taste the cozy fall feels THROUGH THE SCREEN!
Pumpkin is Healthy!
Aside from being ultra-delicious and extremely versatile, pumpkin is an amazingly nourishing food that tastes good and is good for you! Some of the health benefits of pumpkin are:
- It’s considered a superfood which means it’s nutrient-dense and packs a wallop of antioxidants!
- Just 1/3 cup of pumpkin puree has 23-29% of your daily Vitamin A requirements which is important for your brain to function!
- It has the phytochemicals lutein and zeaxanthin that promote eye health. <– Clearly, I need to eat more, considering I’m legally blind.
- It improves joint health and inflammation.
- It can lower the risk of some cancers like lung and prostate.
Andddddd, now you and I are going to eat this healthy pumpkin pasta sauce on ALL the things am I right?
How to Make Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
Making this sauce could not be any easier and it will INSTANTLY make your meal feel like a 5-star restaurant kind of situation. I might even go as far as saying MARTHA STEWART, WATCH OUT.
Saute your onion and garlic in good quality olive oil until lightly golden brown. Stir them frequently so they don’t burn! They’re a key player in the flavor!
Mix in your almond milk, pumpkin puree, cream cheese, pumpkin pie spice and salt and bring to a bubbling boil!
Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce is thick and creamy.
Noodle it up
Add your cooked pasta into the sauce, garnish with sage and you are ready to EAT!
Your pasta pairing opportunities are virtually endless when creamy pumpkin pasta sauce is on the menu. You can use gluten free, whole wheat or “regular” pasta. I personally love chickpea pasta because of the chewy texture and extra protein, so that’s my go to!
When it comes to making this pasta sauce there are 3 main ingredients that give it the silk-smooth creamy texture that the pasta-loving-person that I know you are needs to remember:
Milk – To make this a vegan pumpkin pasta sauce, and one that Mr. FFF can eat, I used unsweetened almond milk in here. You could PROBABLY use any unsweetened unflavored nut milk OR 2% dairy milk. Whatever works for you!
Cream cheese – Again, to make this dairy-free, we ate this sauce made with vegan cream cheese. You can use any kind, but make sure it has fat! Remember, fat=flavor and creaminess!
Pumpkin – DUH. Pumpkin is our VIP in the flavor department, but also adds smooth texture. Make sure you buy canned pumpkin puree not canned pumpkin pie filling! VERY DIFFERENT.
This pumpkin pasta makes amazing meal prep! I’ve done it regularly for Mr. FFF and it holds up well in the refrigerator for a week.
Simply boil your pasta, toss it into your sauce and divide between your meal prep containers. If you’re not vegan and you have some extra cooked chicken breast laying around, it makes an awesome addition for a well-rounded meal!
The creamiest pumpkin pasta sauce is ready to hug your face with cozy fall flavors
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Onion diced
- 1 tablespoon Minced Fresh Garlic
- 1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3/4 cup Canned Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese at room temperature (regular or dairy free works)
- 3/4 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 8 ounces Short Cut Pasta cooked to package directions (I like chickpea pasta)
- Fresh Sage sliced (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil up in a large, high-sided pan on medium heat.
- Sautee the onion and garlic until lightly golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients, except the sage and pasta, and whisk together. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the sauce begins to thicken and reduce. NOTE: if it gets too thick, thin it out with some pasta water!
- Toss in your cooked pasta and stir until coated.
- Divide between bowls, garnish with sage and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.