- Clean up your work space, and have everything in little bowls before you get going. I did not do this. I got frustrated and a few bowls of veggies met a sad fate of become floor sweepings. Not fun times for veggies. Not fun times for you.
- Protip: Chop the inside of the lettuce OUT. You know that hard part that connects to the leafy, soft yumminess? I’ve found those little buggers ALWAYS poke out of my rice paper and cause the unwanted explosion of veggies and create non-dunkable rolls. SAD FACE.
- Speed and agility: you must have it! Okay, maybe not agility so much, this is not the roll Olympics, but SPEED. Rice paper wraps get not-so-sticky ultra-fast. Channel your inner speedy Gonzales, so everything can stay happily tight and sealed.
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce make sure it's gluten free
- 2 teaspoons sriracha chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
- pinch of black pepper
- 4 ounces chicken breast
- 1 medium red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup corn thawed if frozen
- 1 cup carrot grated, about 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion plus 2 tablespoons, sliced
- juice from one lime small
- 1 cup pineapple chunks 24 chunks
- 2 small head boston lettuces separated into leaves
- 8 rice paper wrappers
- For the BBQ Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Then, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the sauce is thick and reduced, about 1 hour. Make sure to stir the sauce every so often. To Cook the Chicken: While the sauce cooks, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the chicken and boil until it is no longer pink inside, about 10-15 minutes. While the chicken boils, spray a grill pan with cooking spray and heat it on high heat. Add in the sliced peppers and cook until charred, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a small plate. Once the pepper is cooked, add the corn into the hot grill pan and cook until charred, which only takes about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl. For the Filling: In a separate medium bowl, stir together the grated carrots, cilantro and green onion. Squeeze the lime into the mixture, along with a pinch of salt, and stir until combined. Transfer the cooled chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Place the chicken into a small bowl. Additionally, place the pineapple into a small bowl. Prepare you work station by laying out a damp tea towel, and placing all the ingredients around, so you’re ready to work quickly once you get rolling. Additionally, fill a large rimmed plate with warm water, and place it onto your station. To Assemble: Submerge one rice paper wrap into the warm water until it’s soft and pliable, about 30-45 seconds. GENTLY transfer it to your damp towel-covered work station and lay it out flat. Place one lettuce leave in the center of the wrap, leaving a perimeter of space around the leaf so you can roll it later. Lay 2 pieces of pepper in a line on top of the lettuce. You want the line going horizontally across the roll, not vertically. Spread 2 heaping tablespoons of the carrot mixture, then 1 tablespoon of the corn mixture on top of the pepper. Spread 1 Tablespoon of shredded chicken on top of the veggies, and line 3 pineapple chunks on the side of the chicken (not on top of it.) Roll the wraps by folding the bottom of the wrapper over the filling. Then, hold the whole thing firmly in place, and fold in the sides. Then, hold all the folds in place and roll the whole thing horizontally, from bottom to top, keeping it all tight and tucked in. Repeat with remaining wraps. Serve with the BBQ sauce to dip and DEVOUR.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMARTPOINTS: 4 POINTS+: 4. OLD POINTS: 2 FREESTYLE POINTS:5
(Per one roll with 1/8 of the BBQ dipping sauce)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more BBQ chicken?
Summer rolls from around the web:
Vegan Veggie Summer Rolls with Peanut Sauce – Avocado Pesto
Roast Pork and Sesame Shrimp Summer Rolls – In Good Flavor