This quick and easy, chocolate truffle recipe tastes like an Almond Joy but is made with avocado, and is naturally sweetened!
“Wait….these are healthy?” – Mr. Food Faith Fitness.
Yes my lovelies, those words actually came out of Mr. FFFs face. The full quote actually goes like this:
“Babe, these are so good! I really really like these! Wait….these are healthy.”
I mean it’s not like he doesn’t generally like what I
force ask him to try, these just got a little more excitement out of the man than usual. And, that made me do this —> Hence, I decided to share my story.
Anywho, now you know that they are man approved, so let’s get the ball rollin’ on the deets.
You see what I did? The ball rollin’…these truffles are little balls.
Ok so, These little round balls ‘o bliss have absolutely zero butter or added sugar. You are probably peering at me through questioning eyes, wondering how a truffle with no butter or sugar can actually taste, well, good and even bear the truffle name. Let me tell you how: Avocado.
And now, your eyes are even more questioning and peer-y…I get it. Avocado isn’t really known for it’s ability to make truffles that you just want to face plant into forever.
I’m a hyoooge fan of texture, and I was a wee bit worried that avocado wouldn’t be as creamy as using butter, but I was wrong. These bad boys (but good for you!) are uber creamy and definitely take you on a trip to alota-chocolata-land. I don’t even know if that makes sense. Hasn’t stopped me before.
Side note: Isn’t that how everything in life should be? Creamy and chocolatey? We should all live in houses with chocolate walls and cream floors. If cream makes a sound foundation for a home, I do not know. It does make a sound foundation for my stomach though. Priorities.
Another key player here is the chocolate protein powder. It adds an extra protein POW that makes these truffles bordering the acceptable-to-eat-for-breakfast stage. The excitement builds.
You know what else? With the addition of almond extract and coconut flakes, these really do taste like an Almond Joy bar. A much creamier, but healthier Almond Joy bar. They also look like little snowballs which is:
1) Perfect for Christmas
2) Really really adorbs. (side note: that means adorable.)
3) You can throw them at people.
I wouldn’t really recommend the final point. But, it would be fun right? Maybe that’s just me.
Did I even mention how ridiculously easy these are? I am almost embarrassed to call something that goes along the lines of: blend stuff up, refrigerate it and then roll it around in more stuff, a recipe butttt I’m doin’ it.
Andddd, so should you.
- ⅔ Cup Avocado, mashed. (About 1 large)
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp Chocolate Casein protein powder of choice OR sub unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Almond extract (omit if you just want straight up chocolate)
- ⅔ Cup Milk chocolate chips
- ½ Cup Sweetened coconut flakes
- Blend the avocado in a food processor until it is very smooth.
- Add in the protein powder, vanilla extract and almond extract and blend until well combined.
- In a medium, microwave safe bowl microwave the chocolate chips for about 1½ minutes, stiring every 20 seconds, until the chips are melted.
- Add the avocado mixture into the bowl of melted chocolate and stir very well until the chocolate is mixed well.
- Cover the bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper, and place the sweetened coconut flakes in shallow plate.
- Using a small cookie scoop the scoop the mixture and roll around in your hands to create even balls.
- Roll each ball around in the coconut flakes and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Want more healthy chocolate?