This creamy watermelon feta salad has spicy notes of Cajun shrimp and sweet berries! It’s a crowd-pleasing, light and healthy, gluten free Summer meal that is only 350 calories!
Question for you: is there anything more REFRESHING than biting into a big slice of watermelon and having the juicy goodness drip down your chin in HELLO SUMMER perfection?
Kiiiinda feel like that very moment has been defining my very-real life in the current seasonal situation that we are in.
SO FRESH. So reFRESHING. So everything-that-current-me-is craving. <– That mango avocado smoothie with watermelon has been on serious re-PEAT. Alternating between a slurpable healthy strawberry watermelon smoothie for BALANCE and VARIETY.
The fact that this BRIGHT, vibrant and SOSO pretty salad that your light-and-healthy-but-FLAVOR-PACKED-food-craving dreams are made of, is also mixed with juicy BURSTS of blueberries, tangy raspberry balsamic vinegar and creamy notes of smooth feta, is taking the level of FRESH to a whole new level of YES PLEASE.
Here’s the scoop:
Watermelon + Feta = basically the greatest combination of food that you could actually put into your mouth. do you remember the shrimp avocado salad with watermelon? SO DANG GOOD.
Have you tried it yet? I have been seeing it on Pinterest for 100 years (give or take) and have always been like “I should try that one day in my life when I remember.” Which happens at least once a week when I see another watermelon feta salad. Then, forget.
You know how it goes.
Finally, internet friends, the combo has become a real thing in my forgetful-person mind, which means it must NOW become a real ting in your life. <– Realistically, it probably has because I feel like you are way more hip and current and ahead-of-the-food-curve than I am. You’ve probably already eaten it 500 times this Summer.
This is why I like you. You keep me trying NEW THINGS.
All this talk about watermelon! Feta! Berries! FRESH! Has totally glossed over one of the MAIN elements of this gorgeous-leafy-greenery-in-a-bowl: CAJUN Shrimp.
This is yet another episode of “Mr. FFF wants Cajun foods so I make it for him in ways that he does not actually want.” You remember me telling you about this in the Cajun cauliflower casserole and Cajun cauliflower tater tots casserole.
We did remedy this with the Cajun Burgers with Sweet Potato Buns but, of course, we’re back.
He’s not usually one for salads so the Cajun shenanigans + healthy green food did NOT make him happy. Plus, like almost everything else I make, there was questions in his brain about Cajun + Fruit + Balsamic vinaigrette.
As per usual though, the hubs E-N-J-O-Y-E-D each and every bite of salad. There was not even one complaint in the house when he had to eat it a SECOND time in ONE week due to me having to make it again to photograph.
Who do our men question us? We know women are always right.
The heat of the juicy, tender Cajuns shrimp is balanced perfectly as you munch right through them, and your teeth sink into the tangy notes of earthy spring mix that is hugged in an ULTRA fruit-forward balsamic vinegar and combines with those sweet pops of watermelon AND blueberries.
Majorly fresh flavor fest, with MEGA delicious notes of SPICE, happening up inside your salad-eating-face.
Real talk: We’ve all got goals of truly enjoying salads, without lying to ourselves and secretly wishing that we were eating a slice of pizza.
These leafy greens are makin’ a MAJOR dent in your goal-CRUSHING department.
Watermelon Feta Salad with Cajun Shrimp
For the vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 12 Cups Spring mix, tightly packed (about 2 bags)
- 4 Cups Baby spinach, tightly packed (about 1 bag)
- 4 Cups Watermelon, cubed (600g)
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- 1 Cup Reduced-fat Feta cheese (4 oz)
- Preheat your grill to high heat and rub the grates with some olive oil.
- While the grills heats, combine the raspberries, vinegar, water, honey and garlic in a SMALL food processor (mine is 3 cups) and process until smooth.
- With the food processor running, stream in the olive oil until well mixed and the vinaigrette thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and place into the refrigerator to chill.
- Pat the shrimp dry and toss with the olive oil. Then, toss with the Cajun seasoning until evenly coated.
- Grill the shrimp until opaque, only about 1 minute per side, flipping once. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Mix the spring mix and spinach in a large bowl and add a pinch of salt (sounds weird, but trust me!) Divide between 4 bowls, followed by the watermelon, blueberries and Feta cheese. Then, divide the dressing and toss to evenly coat the greens.
- Divide the shrimp between the bowls and DEVOUR.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 8 POINTS+: 9. OLD POINTS: 7
(per 1 salad)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS! ????
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!