You are going to love this Vegan Lemon Cake to celebrate any occasion this summer! Deliciously tart, sweet, and dairy/egg free!
You’re welcome. The end.
Kidding, kidding. But, really, you only truly need to know that it’s DARN GOOD, tart and sweet and so perfect for the Summah!
Why you will LOVE This Recipe
I am a HUGE fan of taking delicious dessert recipes we all know and love, and transforming them into vegan friendly versions that you and your crew will LOVE! We did it with vegan gluten free banana bread and again when we made dairy free vegan shortbread cookies and today, we’re going to make the most tender and tasty vegan lemon cake recipe! This cake is full of fresh lemon flavor and the perfect touch of sweetness that you look for, but it doesn’t include any butter or eggs like traditional cakes do. Bake this cake for your next birthday party or for any reason, really, and you WON’T be disappointed!
You’ll find that this delicious vegan lemon cake recipe calls for a lot of ingredients that you’d typically find on a cake ingredients list but leaves out the eggs and butter! Don’t worry though- it still holds together well and has all the lemony goodness and richness that you’re looking for! Here’s what you will need to round up to get started on this cake:
- All Purpose Flour
- Lemon Zest
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Avocado Oil
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Lemon Extract
- Vanilla Extract
- Dairy Free Cream Cheese
- Dairy Free Butter
- Powdered Sugar
The Wacky Cake Method
This vegan lemon loaf cake uses what is known as the “wacky cake method”, which basically means you are creating cake batter without using eggs! The way to make a wacky cake is to mix the dry ingredients together and then create 3 separate wells or holes in the mixture. In one, pour the extracts. In the second well, pour in the oil. Finally, in the third, pour the lemon juice. When combined, the ingredients in these 3 wells work together to hold together the cake batter similar to how an egg would!
How to make a Vegan Lemon Cake
Fire up the oven and allow it to preheat. Line the bottoms of two pans with parchment paper and spray the sides with oil.
In a large bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and mix them thoroughly with a wire whisk. Create 3 small separate wells in the dry ingredients. In one, pour lemon juice. In another, pour avocado oil. In the third well, pour the vanilla and lemon extracts. Do not mix yet.
Pour the water over everything in the bowl. Mix everything together well with a fork.
Divide the batter between the pans and bake until the cake is done and a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cakes cool completely in the pans.
Make the Frosting
In a medium bowl, add the butter and cream cheese and beat until fluffy. Add in the salt and vanilla and beat again. Next, slowly add in the powdered sugar until it’s smooth and everything is well incorporated. Chill for a bit as needed if the frosting is wet.
Frost your cake as desired, then slice and serve. DEVOUR!
Top Tips for making Vegan Lemon Cake
- Make it Gluten Free: If you or someone you are baking for needs this cake to be gluten free, simply swap out the all purpose flour for your favorite 1:1 gluten free blend and voila- you’ll have yourself a delicious vegan gluten free lemon cake!
- Don’t skip the Wells: It might be tempting to add in the oil, lemon juice and extracts all at once, but be sure to pour them each into their own wells in the dry ingredients! This is a very important step when making a wacky cake, as it will help everything to hold together!
If you’re like me, you probably won’t have any leftovers of this tasty cake! BUT if you do, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or two or in the fridge in a container for up to a week. It will also freeze well when stored in a freezer safe airtight container for up to 3 months.
Vegan Cake FAQ
Since this cake contains no butter, the avocado oil takes its place and makes it just as moist and rich!
Yes! If you follow the method correctly, the combination of ingredients in this cake will allow it to rise.
You can if you want to, but I don’t recommend omitting the lemon extract. If you do, it’ll have much less lemon flavor.
more delicious summer dessert recipes
- 2 1/2 Cups All purpose flour (312g)*
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 4 tsp Lemon zest, packed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 Cup Avocado oil (or any neutral flavored oil)
- 2 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Lemon extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
For the frosting:
- 8 oz Dairy free cream cheese (if hard, let stand at room temperature for a bit)
- 1/2 Cup Dairy free butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Powdered sugar (360g)
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees and line two 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper, spraying the sides with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Make 3 wells in the flour. In one, pour the vanilla and lemon extract, one the lemon juice and one the oil. Don't mix.
- Pour the water all over the ingredients and then mix together well with a fork.
- divide between the pans and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 33-36 mins. let cool COMPLETELY
- Beat the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until fluffy. Add in the vanilla and salt and beat again. Slowly add the powdered sugar a little at a time until well mixed.
- Your frosting may be a little wet. If it is, refrigerate for 20-30 minutes until it thickens up a bit as this will make the cake easier to assemble
- Place one of the cake layers on a cake stand, bottom side up and spread 3/4 cup of the frosting on top.
- Place the other cake on top. Spread a VERY thin layer of frosting over the cake to seal in the crumbs, then chill 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, frost the rest of the cake/
- Slice and DEVOUR!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
For This Recipe, I recommend:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!