This tater tot casserole is made from cauliflower tots and covered with cheese and salsa! It’s low carb, healthy and great for game day or for kids!
WE ARE FINALLY MOVED INTO OUR APARTMENT AND I AM NOT SURROUNDED BY BOXES.
Sorry to yell at you. I’m just kind of excited. And by kind of I mean that I have excitement bursting out of my eye ballz.
But in a COOL FUN kind of way, not a that-sounds-really-painful-and-you-should-probably-get-that-checked-out kind of way. You understand.
I PROMISE I will take some pictures BUT, there are still a few boxes here and there. When you see the pictures I want you to think I am clean human and not see the real Taylor: A hoarder.
I only hoard squash though. For realz. I bought 3 Kabocha squash yesterday because they were on sale.
But that really has nothing to do with anything other than me being obsessed with kabocha squash. Have you tried it though? Oh my golly gosh, I could it forever and always.
Getting side tracked. There is no squash in these tater tot casserole. I promise I wouldn’t lie to you and call them “cauliflower” tots and then be like SURPRISE-no-cauli-here-they’re-all-squash.
Because that would be mean and then you might actually throw a spaghetti squash casserole at me. Aaaandd, that would be messy.
Anyway, the sequel.
I lovelovelove our new apartment. BUT, now Mr. FFF can watch FOOTBALL. THE AGONY.
Remember I told you how I made him buffalo chicken hash and buffalo chicken egg muffins while he watched my pretend football game, and I was really happy about not having to actually watch a WHOLE game with him?
Yeah. That’s done. It was wonder-ific while it lasted.
Now I don’t have a husband anymore. So be prepared to be nattered at even more than usual, sorry.
But, not really sorry at all because I <3 you.
Anyway, the threequel. We’re getting out of control.
I made this cauliflower tater tot casserole WAY BACK IN THE DAY when kids walked uphill both ways to school, with NO shoes. And, by that I mean, I made it back in Florida. A few weeks ago.
But now I am going to make it every day forever so I can eat it ALL myself. I feel this will be the only way I can get through football season.
I’m kidding. But I like them. Lots.
Especially when they are covered with salsa, cheese….and more cheese. <— That’ a good sentence.
Contrary to what he above sentence sounds like, this baby is protein packed (HELLO chicken and cottage cheese!) AND low carb. WHAT THE WHAT.
It’s truf. And it tastes YUM.
I don’t know about you, but I’ll happily live in cauliflower tater tot casserole land until all the game days are done.
Make sure to check out the Cauliflower Tater Tot Casserole Recipe on Food Fanatic as well!
P.s My nickname is tatertot.
- 1 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Shredded, about 1 cup
For the Cauli-Tots:
- 3 cups Cauliflower Roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Onion Plus 2 tablespoons, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Garlic Minced
- 3 tablespoons Fat Free Cottage Cheese
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- 3/4 cup Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 large Egg White (3 tablespoons liquid egg whites)
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Panko Crumbs Plus 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Spray
For the Casserole:
- 1/2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Onion Diced (roughly 1 small onion)
- 3/4 cup Red Pepper diced (roughly 1 large pepper)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Minced
- 16 ounces Salsa Of choice, 2 cups
- 1 cup Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
For the Chicken:
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, and boil the chicken until no longer pink inside, about 10-15 mins. Shred with two forks and set aside for later use.
For the Tots:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Put the chopped cauliflower into a large food processor and process until broken down, and it looks similar to rice.
- Transfer the cauliflower into a large bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir, and microwave an additional 2 mins
- Add the onion, garlic, and cottage cheese into the cauliflower. Stir well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Microwave for 20 seconds more.
- Stir the cheddar cheese, egg white, cilantro and panko into the mixture until well combined.
- Using a heaping Tablespoon, form the mixture into little ovals, packing together and placing them onto the prepared baking sheet. Spray the tots with cooking spray
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip and spray with some more cooking spray, and bake for an additional 10-15 mins or until the tots are crunchy and golden brown.
- While the tots are baking, heat the olive oil for the casserole in a large, oven safe pan on medium/high heat. Cook the diced onion, red pepper and garlic until nice and soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the salsa and shredded chicken, stirring until well combined.
- Once the tots are cooked, sprinkle half of the cheese onto the salsa mixture, and then lay the tots on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 – 7 mins.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.