This Pumpkin Sugar Cookies recipe makes the softest, chewiest cookies EVER! If you love pumpkin spice then these are a must try!
Pin Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
Is it just me or is it time to eat some “normal” sugar cookies with a little pumpkin flair?
Don’t get me wrong, I love some good pumpkin paleo cookies or or pumpkin sugar free low carb keto cookies.
But something? A girl just wants some normal sugar and BUTTER you know?
I mean, I did sneak some whole wheat flour in there because it’s what I do. But you could TOTALLY use all purpose flour too. YOU DO YOU.
These cookies are honestly insane. They’re like pumpkin pie in cookie form and they are SO big and CHEWY which, in my cookie-monster opinion, is the ONLY way to do a cookie. Like the vegan pumpkin cookies, they’re also rolled in pumpkin spice sugar!!
Plus, considering everyone loves anything pumpkin spice right now, I 1000% feel confident in saying that you will LOVE THEM.
What makes these Sugar Cookies Healthy
Give me ALL the cookies, anytime, all the time!! I absolutely love all different kinds of cookies. Bake me up a pan of flourless gluten free chocolate cookies or serve me up a plate of Brown Butter Oatmeal Cookies and you know I’ll be one happy camper! What makes some cookies even better is healthy ingredients that you feel good about eating, which is exactly why you’ll love this pumpkin pie sugar cookie recipe I’ve got for you today! To make them better-for-you but still oh-so-delish, I swapped out all purpose white flour for healthier white whole wheat flour, as well as used raw coconut sugar and cane sugar instead of processed white sugar.
The Secret to Chewy Sugar Cookies
Everyone loves a good sugar cookie, but in my opinion, you’ve GOT TO get that texture right so it lives up to its name and reputation! I’m talking about those crispy sugary edges, but a chewy and soft center- the BEST of both worlds! The secret to achieving that perfect texture in THESE pumpkin spice sugar cookies is simple. Using cornstarch will make the cookies soft, and the combination of white sugar with coconut sugar makes the centers chewy but leaves the outside edges crispy as can be! Sugar cookie perfection!
Pumpkin Sugar Cookies Ingredients
The ingredients used to make these delish pumpkin pie sugar cookies are wholesome and healthy alternatives to the usual sugar cookie ingredients! The ingredients are better for you, but that doesn’t mean these cookies won’t come through in the taste department! You’re not going to be disappointed with these sweet treats that bring some pumpkin spice flair to a classic family favorite. Let’s gather together the ingredients we’ll need and get started:
- White whole wheat flour
- Baking Powder
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Unsalted Butter
- Raw Organic Cane Sugar
- Coconut Sugar
- Canned Pumpkin
- Vanilla Extract
- Granulated Sugar
Should I use fresh pumpkin or canned pumpkin?
When baking up a batch of these pumpkin sugar cookies, I often get asked what type of pumpkin works best. I recommend using canned pumpkin, as it’s already pureed and perfect to bake with. Be sure to not confuse canned pumpkin with pumpkin pie filling, however! Filling has other added ingredients in it, which is not what you’ll need for these cookies. Be sure to use pure canned pumpkin!
What’s the best way to store Sugar Cookies?
Once you’ve baked up a batch (or 5) of these delicious pumpkin cookies, you’ll want to make sure you store them so that they’ll last! I recommend letting the cookies cool COMPLETELY on a wire cooling rack before storing them. Once cooled, stack your cookies in an airtight container and store on the counter for up to a week. If you want to freeze them so that they last longer, simple place your cookies in an airtight container (or ziploc freezer bags) and pop them in the freezer. They will last up to 2 months this way!
Other Pumpkin Dessert Recipes
Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Pumpkin Spice Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies
Healthy Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups White whole wheat flour 7 oz
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted butter melted *
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Raw organic cane sugar
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar packed
- 1/4 Cup Canned pumpkin
- 1 large Egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
For Rolling Cookies:
- 3 Tbsp Granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, salt, cornstarch, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl, beat together the melted butter, granulated sugar and coconut sugar, using an electric hand mixer, beat until light and fluffy. Make sure there are no lumps in your coconut sugar!
- Add in the pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract and beat again until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until it forms a wet dough. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Also, mix together the remaining granulated sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small plate and preheat your oven to 350 defreees
- Once chilled, drop the cookie dough onto the cookie sheet in 1 Tbsp-sized balls. Roll the whole ball in the sugar mixture and place on the cookie sheet, flattening out slightly.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes, until the outsides feel just set. The cookies will feel very soft and under baked, but they firm up a lot once cooled!
- Let them cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment