A quick and easy, healthy, one-dish Spaghetti Squash casserole with a pretzel crunch and sweet honey mustard! Great for a weeknight!
I know, you think this is weird. Honey mustard and pretzels? Okay, that a pretty common pairing. Chicken? Alright, you know I <3 protein so that makes sense. But, inviting spaghetti squash to the party and then turning it into a spaghetti squash casserole? You think I have gone mad don’t you?
Well, guys, I went crazy years ago. That news is so old, I bet it has started fossilizing.
Seriously though, sometimes the weirdest seeming combinations are just so out there that they actually work. You know, kind of like those superfood Vegan Brownies with berries and tahini, or even paleo breakfast cookies WITH KALE.
And, oh man guys, this WORKS.
Like the BBQ Chicken Spaghetti Squash casserole, I made, the squash makes a really good stand in for a noodley, carby source that every good casserole requires. However, it saves gazillions of calories. You could also omit the pretzel crumbs if you would like to keep this gluten free. Making your own honey mustard also cuts the carbs by a million percent, and I think it tastes even better than the pre-bought stuff.
I’m not even going to tell you why the cheese works in this spaghetti squash casserole. I mean, pretzels and cheese is awesome. Cheese on salt. Two of my favorite things in life that ALWAYS make sense no matter what the dish is. Add cheese and salt and the dish winz. Yes, I just used a “z.” You want to kick me for being so obnxious, I know.
Casseroles are one of my favorite things to make ’cause they can be thrown together so fast, and all in one dish. This make my dishwasher and patience lacking self very, very happy. Especially when you can throw everything in one dish and out comes a perfectly-saucy-and-slightly-sweet-but-still-a-bit-salty-ooey-gooey-cheesy delish meal. And, it has protein to boot… yesssssssssss!
Did I mention that pretzel crunch? Ooooooooooo that crunch just sealz the deal guyz.
I did it again. Stopping now.
Can’t write proper English due to ooey, gooey, cheesy, saucey, squashy, ahmayzingness overload over here.
Spaghetti Squash Casserole with Pretzels and Honey Mustard
- 2 Cups squash
- 2 Cups Shredded chicken breast 1 large breast
- 1/2 Cup Onion diced
- 1/4 Cup celery diced
- 1/8 Cup Green onions diced
- 1-2 Tbsp Jalapeno peppers minced (depending if you want kick!)
- 3/4 Cup Reduced- fat Cheddar cheese grated (divided)
- 1/2 Cup Low sugar Maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Yellow mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/3 Cup Crushed pretzels
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut your squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Lay it cut side down on a cookie sheet and bake until fork tender (40-45 minutes)
- While the squash cooks, put a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling throw in that chicken breast it is fully cooked (20-25 minutes)
- Once the chicken is done, shred with 2 forks and set aside.
- While all this cook-ery is happening, you can prep the veggies.
- Dice the onion, celery, green onions and jalapenos peppers and put them all together into a large bowl.
- Grate your 3/4 cup cheddar cheese and throw 1/2 cup of it into the veggie mixture. Set the remaining 1/4 cup aside.
- Spray a 6 cup casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Once the squash has cooked mix it, along with the shredded chicken, salt, pepper and minced garlic, into the diced veggie and cheese mixture.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the maple syrup and mustards. Combine with the squash mixture.
- Pour everything into the prepared casserole dish.
- Crush the pretzels and sprinkle them over the casserole, along with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, watching closely during the last few minutes to make sure the pretzels do no burn!
- Wait a few minutes to cool and devour!!