This whole30 approved slow cooker mango chicken has a sweet, tropical sauce and sweet potatoes! It’s a healthy, one pot meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Slow Cooker Mango Chicken and Sweet Potato Bowls
Slow cook-ery in the summer. How do you feel about it?
Does it make you feel the same feelings that you see when you see an adorable puppy sleeping at your feet? (Random? Yes. But that is what I am seeing as I write this post.)
Meaning: does it make your heart swell with happy-good-vibes because that means NO TURNING ON THE OVEN?
I knew I could see righhhhhhht through you. Even WITH a computer screen in between our interaction.
Which is why, for this month’s roundup with my blogging gals, we’re bringing you a whollop of healthy slow cooker recipes that are perfect for your summer-food loving mouths to munch! Here’s what we got:
Lexi has these Caribbean Pulled Chicken Lettuce Wraps! Caribbean flavors come together in this delicious slow cooker pulled chicken that’s topped with a simple fresh mango salsa. Make it a light, yet hearty meal by piling this flavorful chicken into your lettuce wraps, top with your favorite add-ons, and devouring! Click here to get the recipe!
Gina is bringing this Summer Slow Cooker Frittata! This slow cooker frittata is bursting with grated zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, basil and prosciutto then topped with a simple arugula salad. Great for a summer breakfast or dinner! Click here to get the recipe!
Davida has some tasty Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken! No need to order takeout with this Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken. Perfectly tart and sweet all at the same time, this easy, one-pot dinner recipe is sure to be a family favorite! Click here to get the recipe!
Brittany has some delicious Slow Cooker Ratatouille! Load your summer farmers market haul into the slow cooker for a delicious ratatouille that you can use in a variety of ways. Serve as a side, over pasta or bread, with a grilled protein or even in an omelet. Click here to get the recipe!
To the summer lovin part-AY, I’m bring this slow cooker mango chicken. Do you remember the mango chicken with coconut cauliflower rice from January? OF course you do…because it basically broke the internets and all ya’ll <3 <3 <3ed it. I listened.
I made you MORE sticky-sweet-mango chicken yumminess in the form of THIS dinner AND a grilled mango chicken and cauliflower rice wrap.
Except, it’s slow-cooker-stupid-easy and is combined with SUPER tender, mish-mashed sweet potatoes and a swirl of coconut milk to bring an extra creamy POW. Plus, a simple rub of curry powder and a dash of habanero to bring that warm sensation that tickles the back of your throat as you taste each tender bite. Remember the mango curry homemade BBQ sauce?
BOMB.COM flavor combo right there.
In usual Taylor fashion, the necessary requirement of ALL THE CILANTRO (and an exciting addition of green onion and coconut flakes!) is being met as the garnish. Although, I am not quite sure that I can call the amount of cilantro that my taste buds prefer as “garnish.” But, that is neither here nor there.
Just note that a heavy hand is most definitely required when you make it to the “garnish” portion of this one-pot nutritious-powerhouse of a meal.
In other news, this is the kind of recipe that actually made me like “normal” sweet potatoes. I did not grow up eating sweet potatoes (GASP!) so, when I learned of their good-4-you qualities a few years back in my life, I decided I should put them in my mouth on a regular basis.
But then I did that. And my taste buds fought back a little.
UNTIL, I tried white sweet potatoes. Which are mega delicious and are a little bit less “mushy” in my sweet-potato-elitist opinion. Side note: they make a mean paleo sweet potato salad!
So, potato eating Taylor has been going on her merry little way with her lighter-flesh colored vegetal friends for many years. Which was also the plan for this recipe. UNTIL – DUH DUH DUH – the store decided to be OUT OF THEM when it was time to get my cookin-low-and-slowwwww on.
You know what they say. Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
Which could be a little over dramatic when discussing trying orange sweet potatoes. But, really, it isn’t.
SO, I used them.
I mashed them (once cooked. I am not some super-buff person with awesome raw-potato-mashing-prowess)
AND I LIKED THEM.
The way their super-creamy and slightly sweet selves combined with zesty, fresh ginger and that hit of creamy coconut milk and spicy-sweet curry rubbed chicken with thick mango sauced yumminess? SO FEELIN’ IT RIGHT NOW.
AND, you could be in on the same good-feels 2NITE.
Like, in a few hours.
Slow Cooker Mango Chicken and Sweet Potato Bowls
This whole30 approved slow cooker mango chicken has a sweet, tropical sauce and sweet potatoes! It's a healthy, one pot meal that's perfect for busy weeknights!
- 1/2 Cup + 1 Tbsp Orange mango juice divided, not from concentrate
- 1/4 Cup Light coconut milk *
- 1 Tbsp Fresh ginger minced
- 1-1 1/2 tsp Habanero pepper minced **
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/2 Tbsp Coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 2 Medium sweet potatoes (about 300g each 600g total) peeled and chopped into large wedges
- 1 Lb Chicken breasts
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- 2 tsp Tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Large mango cubed
- Cilantro for garnish
- Green onion for garnish
- Whisk together 1/2 cup of the orange mango juice (reserving the rest for later), coconut milk, ginger, garlic, habanero pepper, coconut aminos and salt in the bottom of a 7 quart slow cooker. Lay the sweet potato wedges in an even layer in the sauce mixture.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with the curry powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and rub evenly. Lay the chicken breast on top of the sweet potatoes, cover, and cook on low heat until the potatoes are soft and the chicken is tender, about 6-7 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently remove the chicken and sweet potatoes to a large plate.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the remaining 3 tsp of juice and the 2 tsp of tapioca starch until smooth and creamy. Whisk into the sauce mixture in the slow cooker.
- Gently place the sweet potatoes and chicken back into the slow cooker, cover, and turn the heat up to high. Cook for an additional 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes, until the sauce is nice and thick.
- While the sauce thickens, heat your oven to 350 degrees and spread the coconut flakes onto a small baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes. Watch them closely, as they burn quickly!
- Once the sauce has thickened, divide the chicken and sweet potatoes between 4 bowls. Then, divide the cubed mango and toasted coconut flakes onto each bowl.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onion and the remaining sauce from inside the slow cooker.
* To make sure it's whole30, find a coconut milk with no sulfites (guar gum is okay as a thickener.) I used A Taste of Thai brand
**If you don't like heat, then do 1 tsp of pepper. This will add flavor, but not a lot spiciness. If you want actual spice, up the habanero a little bit!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfit
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMARTPOINTS: 8 POINTS+: 9. OLD POINTS: 7
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more coconut curry?
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!