This Corn Salad with Dates and a Honey Lime Dressing is quick, easy and delicious meal salad, perfect for Summer!
Mr. Foodfaithfitness was back in his homeland, Nebraska, this weekend. So I, of course, sat around and cried and missed him terribly. But, in between crying, a girl still has to eat. I don’t know if you know anything about Nebraska guys, but there is lots and lots and lots of corn. So, what better to eat when you’re missing your husband when he is back in corn country, than corn? The salad-y aspect of this is definitely not an ode to him though. He much prefers beefy goodness to leafy deliciousness, so I try to eat them mostly when he isn’t around for dinner. I LOVE salads guys, I could eat them for every meal. Except breakfast. Breakfast HAS to be oatmeal, or I get sad. Anyways.
Just like the vegan butternut squash salad, the addition of the dates add that perfect little sweetness that I think most meals need. But, seriously, what is a date? Is it a fruit? A veggie? I don’t know, but I am not really worried about it ’cause they are gooood AND they make some mean energy bites! As a bonus, the natural sweetness dates have is actually the healthy kind of sugar. Can I get a woop woop! And that zesty, sour lime juice with the scrumptiously sweet date? Oh my! Here goes a serious taste bud happy dance. I think they are doing the jive right now for reals.
You know what I also love about the edible kind of dates? They are always super sweet and never let you down, like those real life kind of ones can. I remember once I went on this blind date, which was my first mistake. Anyway, the guy showed up in a sparkly Spider Man t-shirt. Sparkles. On a late twenty something year old man. Sparkles guys. I should have turned around and ran, but my high heels prevented that. Note to self: only wear slippers to first dates in case of possible I-need-to-sprint-away-right-NOW scenarios. Needless to say, that date didn’t go anywhere. Good thing my first date with the hubs wasn’t like it. I would still love him in sparkles though. I know I can fearlessly say that ’cause it will NEVER EVER happen. There is something to be said for marrying a good, manly man right? I think so.
Anyway, make this salad. Eat it. Feel healthy and have your daily yum quota fulfilled. But, in between bites, answer this for me: What was your worst first date?
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 Head of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 Avocado roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Dates roughly chopped
- 1/2 A red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup fat free or low fat feta cheese
- 1/2 Cup corn kernels
- Diced cilantro
- Honey Lime Dressing:
- 1.5 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 Cup sugar free maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- juice of half a lime
- pinch of salt.
- Cook your chicken however you prefer: Grill, bake, fry etc. For this recipe I baked it at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- In a food processor add the yellow mustard, sugar free maple syrup, garlic powder, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, lime juice and salt. Blend until all ingredients are well combined and set aside.
- Tear your lettuce into bit size pieces and divide between two dishes.
- Evenly divide the chopped avocado, dates, red onion, feta cheese and corn between each dish.
- Slice each chicken breast against the grain and lay over top of each salad.
- Drizzle the honey lime dressing over each dish and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.