A light and healthy Summer salad that features roasted red peppers and toasted almonds in a creamy avocado dressing.
Have you ever boughten (or is it bought? I actually seriously don’t know) roasted red peppers? If yes, you know how pricey they can be. However, they are so super yummy that I was always one of those gals that just sucked it up and paid for them. That was, until I googled how to make them and my life was changed forever. Here are my findings:
Step 1: Cut red pepper in half and deseed. (Ok, seems easy enough.)
Step 2: Place, cut side down, on a pan and put under a broiler that is set to HIGH. (I have a pan and a broiler. I got this.)
Step 3: Leave them be until the skin goes black and bubbly, around 10 minutes. (Really? I can just walk away?)
Step 4: Using tongs, pull them out and put in a sealed ziploc bag to cool.
Step 5: Once cool, open the bag and peel the skins off. This will be very easy as the steam that was trapped inside will have made them very lose.
That’s it guys. Seriously. This took me 15 minutes and it only cost me a red pepper! I now feel like the biggest silly head for ever buying these from the grocery store.
So, now that this silly head was armed with fancy roasted red peppers, I had to do something with them. I’m still in my make-creamy-sauces-healthy-and-put-them-on-everything phase of life, so that needed to come into play. (Ps: On the top of creamy sauces: Creamy Chimichurri Sauce <—do it!) I scrummaged through my possible options, and came across some avocado in the freezer (best way to store unused avocados by the way guys, they don’t go brown 2 seconds later!) Avocados are healthy and creamy, as already discussed, so they would work perfectly.
The hubby was not home so, as per always, my go to is a salad, ’cause they are just yummy. So now that I had a salad topping and the base for a dressing, I needed some more additions. Cheese is an obvious. Protein is an obvious. I just needed a crunch. There was almonds in my cupboard, those will do.
And so, from my pantry, was birthed one of the most amazing salads ever.
I have since made it for multitudes of people (well, 3 people) and have received rave reviews guys. I mean, my dad said “wow, yummy!” And, coming from a man eating a chicken salad, that is like saying “Oh wow, that’s the cats meow! That’s just the bees knees! Can I eat it everyday, forever?” Right? Yep.
Someone needs to save me from the over exaggerated fantasy land that I live in.
Except, please don’t, the real world is scary.
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 1 Roasted red pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup Almond slices toasted
- 1 Head of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 Cup Low or fat free feta cheese
- 1/4 A small red onion diced
- 1/2 A Small avocado
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp White wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic minced
- 2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat your grill to high and oven to 375 degrees.
- While those preheat, slice and dice the red pepper and red onion.
- Place the chicken on your grill and the almond slices in the oven.
- The chicken will take 5-6 minutes a side, flipping once. The almond will be around 5 minutes, keep a close watch so they don't burn!
- While those cook, add the avocado, olive oil, white wine and balsamic vinegars and garlic to a small food process. Process until creamy and well combined.
- Divide the lettuce, red pepper slices, feta cheese and diced red onion evenly between two plates.
- Once the chicken and almonds have cooked, also divide them amongst the 2 plates.
- Top with the avocado dressing and nom nom nom!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.