Who says Tex-Mex has to be unhealthy! With this recipe for a Healthy Taco Salad, you’ll get the beef, corn, avocado, and salsa verde without any of the guilt of a Southern classic.
Table of Contents
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It is so nourishing and so delicious all at once. The salad is full of variety, which is important in our diets.
- The crunchy lettuce with the chewy minced beef and creamy, soft avocado provides such a wide range of textures.
- It is versatile, just leave out the minced meat and serve it as a side, stuff it into a tortilla and you have lunch for the next day, or serve it with tacos and enjoy.
- Comes together in 10 minutes. All you are really doing here is slicing and cooking the minced meat, which takes 5 minutes. We love a quick weeknight dinner that can easily be changed into a weekend treat.
- 3 cups crunchy mixed lettuce, torn
- 1/2 lb minced beef
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced into wheels
- 1 head of corn, cooked and nibs cut off the cob
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp salsa verde
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp spring onion, thinly sliced
- ½ lime
In a frying pan cook your minced beef with a pinch of salt until browned. Set aside to let cool. Once the mince is cool, layer on the lettuce, cherry tomatoes, minced beef and corn nibs.
Slice the avocado and spread over the layers. Dollop on the sour cream. Drizzle on the salsa verde, olive oil and lime juice then serve and enjoy!
- Make it chicken – Just take out the minced beef and use shredded chicken or chicken mince instead.
- Make it vegetarian – Leave out the minced beef and use black beans or pinto beans instead.
- Make it vegan – Leave out the minced beef and substitute in beans of your choice. Substitute coconut yogurt or cashew cream for the sour cream.
- For extra crunch – Crumble up some tortilla chips and sprinkle them over the top of the salad.
Absolutely, have a look at the variations section for a few awesome substitution ideas.
Definitely, I would just take the whole recipe and cut it in half if you want to make it for 2 and double if you want it to serve 8 etc.
As this is a “healthy” taco salad, I would suggest extra lean ground beef. Of course, it’s your choice. The more fat content, the more flavorful the meat. That said, this dish doesn’t lack flavor from its other ingredients so you may not even notice the type of beef used.
How To Store Taco Salad
Hopefully, you’ve kept the ingredients separate. If so, store them in individual airtight containers then put in the fridge. The meat and chopped vegetables should last for up to 4 days. The lettuce should last up to a week. When you would like to eat the salad, simply combine the ingredients as you did initially, when first making this recipe.
- 3 cups Crunchy mixed lettuce torn
- 1/2 lb Minced beef
- Pinch Salt
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes sliced into wheels
- 1 Head corn cooked and nibs cut off the cob
- ½ Avocado
- ¼ Cup sour cream
- 3 Tbsp salsa verde
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp spring onion thinly sliced
- ½ lime
- In a frying pan cook your minced beef with a pinch of salt until browned. Set aside to cool.
- Once the beef is cool, layer on the lettuce, cherry tomatoes, spring onion, and corn nibs.
- Slice the avocado and spread over the layers then dollop on the sour cream.
- Drizzle on the salsa verde, olive oil, and lime juice. Serve and enjoy!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.