This healthy grilled Mexican corn salad is tossed with juicy, smoky shrimp and has a sweet and tangy honey lime vinaigrette! Perfect for summer cook outs!
It’s a FIESTA in your mouth.
Was that too CORNY? <– You know that I HAD TO GO THERE.
SRSLY though. We’re not just talking about ANY corn salad today my internet-land friends.
THIS particular salad has smoky bites of charcoal-y delicious corn, hanging out with juicy tomatoes, creamy cubes of avocado, flavor PACKED cilantro, tender shrimp and the most RIDICULOUS spicy-sweet and tangy vinaigrette that is playing REAL nice with all the taco-spicy-seasoning AND your taste buds.
I sometimes wonder if my high school English teachers read my blog posts and shake their heads at ALL THE RUN-ON SENTENCES.
You know what though, in the light of an epic, side-dish sensation, you just can’t separate thoughts. Everything just has to run together so that you guys GET IT, you know?
In Wednesday’s Moroccan sweet potato salad we discussed the fact that MEMORIAL DAY and GRILLIN’ are riiiiight around the corner.
Which is making everyone happy since grilled food is the BEST food.
Aaaaaand grilled corn is the BEST CORN.
Especially when you mix it with the familiar, favorite flavors of Mexico (hello three bean Mexican corn black bean salad!) and bring it to your Memorial Day shin dig. <– Then YOU Are the BEST person at the party.
MVP of side dishes, That’s Y-O-U.
I know that you and I both love a recipe with a little extra protein-pizazz, which is what juicy, tender, grilly bits of taco-seasoned, spicy shrimp add to this salad.
Realistically speaking, considering it’s already full of balanced protein, healthy carbs and brain-and-heart-nourishing fat, you could probably DOUBLE the shrimp and make this totally weeknight-summer-dinner appropriate.
You know, if you don’t want to share it with other food-stealing people at your cook out. I would totally support this decision.
I’m that person that, if I see something “honey lime” flavored on a menu, I order it. Don’t care what it is.
You know this by the fact that we’ve eaten honey lime chicken nourish bowls, honey lime grilled avocado shrimp nacho bowls and zucchini noodles blueberry basil wraps with honey lime yogurt.
Whoever decided that those 2 combinations of flavors should be ONE, was a food GENIUS.
The sticky, thick honey coats each and every grilly, smoky corn kernel with this BURST of sweetness that gets taken down JUUUST a notch with a underlying KICK of jalapeno, and a tang of zesty lime juice that is gonna make your taste buds be LIKE WHOA.
It’s the kind of flavor mix and mingling that makes you keep going back for seconds…thirds…oh heck just take the WHOLE bowl of corn salad, hide behind a tree (no one will suspect you there) and eat it all by yourself.
With all the mix and mingling going on inside your mouth, there’s no need to mix and mingle at your summer get together.
- 2 Cups Corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- 6 Ounces Medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 tsp Olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Taco seasoning (I use this recipe)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Cup Roma Tomato, diced (about 1 large)
- 1/2 Cup Avocado, diced
- 1/3 Cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 Cup Green onion, sliced
For the dressing:
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Honey
- 1 1/4 tsp Tabasco Green Jalapeno Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Place a grill basket on an outdoor grill and heat on medium heat. Place the corn in the grill basket and cook until lightly charred, stirring occasionally.
- Dry off the shrimp and place in a medium bowl. Toss with the olive oil and then add the taco seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper, tossing until evenly coated.
- Transfer the cooked corn to a large bowl. Lightly grease the grill and then place the shrimp on. Cook until the shrimp are pink and opaque, only about 1 minute per side.
- Cut the cooked shrimp in half and add to the corn. Add the tomato, avocado, cilantro and green onion. Mix until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey and Tabasco. While whisking constantly, stream in the olive oil until well mixed and the dressing thickens. Pour over the salad and toss to mix evenly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and then cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Serve at room temperature and DEVOUR.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
(per 1/4 of the salad)
Don’t miss all the healthy side dishes from my blogging gals:
Lindsay has a Dill Pesto Potato Wedge Salad! This Dill Pesto Potato Wedge Salad makes a great healthy side dish for your next barbecue or gathering! Two types of salads combined and tossed a zippy dill pesto sauce. It’s gluten free, vegan friendly. Click here for the recipe!
Brittany has a Zucchini Noodle Spaghetti Salad! A healthy take on traditional spaghetti salad, this spiralized zucchini noodle spaghetti salad is loaded with veggies and tossed in a homemade Italian dressing. Perfect for summer cookouts, BBQs and picnics! Click here for the recipe!
Lexi has a Caprese Pesto Pasta Salad! This one-bowl gluten-free Caprese Pesto Pasta Salad is the perfect side-dish for summer entertaining! It requires very little cooking and is simple to throw together! PLUS it is so flavorful! Add your favorite Summer greens into the pesto, toss with gluten-free pasta, tomatoes, and delicious Italian spices and BOOM: Summer side perfection. Click here for the recipe!
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!