Ever wondered how to make paleo protein bars? Learn how easy it is to make your favorite snack healthy, gluten free and grain free!
We’ve all been in that moment where we are out and about and HUNGER hits.
It might be hard to find something healthy, fast AND tasty to munch on, which is where protein bars come in handy! You will NEVER find me without one emergency bar in my purse.
However, there are few things that are less than ideal about store bought protein bars:
- They are EXPENSIVE.
- They can be made with some VERY questionable ingredients!
I have a few homemade paleo protein bars here on FFF, which are really popular. They taste yummy, are perfect to pack and they’re healthy and gluten/grain/refined sugar free! No super weird, hard-to-pronounce ingredients here! Both recipes are super simple and no bake and the cookies and cream paleo protein bars totally taste like dessert!
So, let’s take a look at how to make paleo homemade protein bars!
What is a protein bar?
A protein bar is exactly what it sounds like – a snack bar that is high in protein. Protein bars are much high in protein and typically lower in carbs than that of, say, a granola bar. They also usually have really chewy, yummy texture and come in a variety of flavors. There are many types of protein that are used to make protein bars as well such as whey, casein, pea, egg white, quinoa, brown rice, and many more! Pick the option that tastes best to you, and works with your dietary needs/preferences.
What is the paleo diet? Why do I need to make paleo protein bars?
The paleo diet is a very popular way of eating these days! Its approach focuses on eating whole, real foods in their natural state – or just as you would find them on earth! Nothing packaged. It also does not allow gluten, grains, or dairy. I love that it’s not about counting calories or eating perfectly portioned meals. It’s about eating whole, real food that nourishes your body AND also tastes really, really delicious!
You need to make paleo protein bars because they are SUPER yummy and are a healthy and protein packed way to curb a snack attack! No one deserves to go through life hangry! ???? Also, like we talked about, store bought protein bars have some totally weird ingredients in them – that we shouldn’t put in our bodies regularly – and these are the perfect solution to get rid of those!
How to Make Paleo Protein Bars:
- Begin by lining an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving enough parchment to hang over the sides. This will act as a handle once the bars are set, and makes removing them from the pan a lot easier!
- Whisk together your dry ingredients – this is usually your protein powder of choice, gluten free flours, any spices you like to add, and a pinch of salt to boost the flavor.
- Microwave your nut butter and sticky sweetener of choice (I love honey) until smooth and runny, and then stir in a little bit of vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and use your hands to knead it together until it forms a thick mixture.
- Press this mixture very firmly and evenly into the prepared baking sheet. At this point, I like to sprinkle on some dairy-free chocolate chips!
- Refrigerate until the bars feel set, which is about 1-2 hours.
- Once set, use the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the pan and slice
Get the full paleo protein bar recipe here!
Enjoy your healthy snack with no weird ingredients!
Leave a Comment