These Healthy Avocado Cookies with Chocolate Chips are so soft and chewy you’ll never believe they are butter free and better for you!
Honestly, these are some of my favorite cookies Iâ€™ve ever made.
Even more then the eggless chocolate chip cookies or paleo cookies with chocolate chips which, donâ€™t get me wrong, are still totally delicious BUT there is just something about the taste of these cookies that GETS ME.
Everything is just better with avocados.
Why these are the BEST Healthy Avocado Cookies
Nothing hits the spot after a long hard, day than a plateful of COOKIES and here on the blog, weâ€™re all about them! Almond flour oatmeal cookies, chocolate quinoa cookies, ANY cookies at all, send them my way. Todayâ€™s healthy cookies are such a game changer because they are made with healthy ingredients that you will feel good about eating, but in cookie form- what could possibly be better than that? They are also super easy to throw together and make great snacks or treats any time of day.
Baking with avocado
Itâ€™s no secret that avocado is trendy â€“ especially if itâ€™s on toast â€“ but did you know you can actually use avocado instead of butter in some recipes? Since itâ€™s made of fat, just like butter, it helps make baked goods tender, moist and chewy. BUT itâ€™s a better for you fat which makes these heart healthy cookies!
Baking with avocado also gives these cookies a fun green color. But not as intense as the green cranberry pistachio bread.
Butter vs Avocado in baking
And when I say â€œsomeâ€ recipes, I really do mean SOME and not all. So, donâ€™t just go using avocado in all your baking recipes forever and ever the end. Avocado doesnâ€™t spread the same as butter so in recipes where you need that, like cookies, you canâ€™t just swap it 1:1. It also has a different taste so you want to make sure youâ€™re using it in a recipe that takes that into account, like these avocado cookies!
Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
To make these cookies, you will need a few simple ingredients:
- Whole wheat pastry flour
- Baking soda
- Cane sugar
- Coconut sugar
- Chocolate Chips
Healthy Swaps In These Avocado Chocolate Cookies
Because I wanted to make these healthy chocolate chip cookies, weâ€™re use a few ingredients that really boost the nourishing qualities of these cookies!
Flour â€“ instead of all-purpose flour, these cookies have some wholesome whole-grain goodness by using whole wheat pastry flour, which is one of my favorite baking flours. If you want to make these gluten free, you can make these gluten free avocado cookies
Sugar â€“ Instead of using refined sugars, weâ€™re using natural sugars like organic cane sugar and coconut sugar to make these whole wheat chocolate chip cookies perfectly sweet. You can also use regular sugar and brown sugar if you donâ€™t have these on hand
Fat â€“ like weâ€™ve already talked about, weâ€™re swapping avocado instead of butter to make these cookies a little bit better for you!
How to make Avocado Cookies Recipe
In a medium bowl, add the pastry flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder. Stir with a whisk and set aside. In a larger bowl, add the avocado, sugars, vanilla, egg, and yolk and beat well with an electric mixer. Slowly stir the flour mixture into the avocado mixture. Add the chocolate chips, then mix until everything is well incorporated.
Place the dough in the fridge to chill for about half an hour. Meanwhile, line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and turn on the oven to preheat it. Once chilled, scoop the dough out into balls and place on the cookies sheets, evenly spaced apart. Bake until theyâ€™re done. If they still seem really soft, thatâ€™s ok!
Cool completely, then DEVOUR!
How to Store Cookies
These cookies are best stored in an air-tight container. You can leave them on the counter for a day or two, but then they are best kept in the refrigerator for about a week. If you need to keep them longer, you can freeze them.
How to freeze
Freezing your cookies is EASY.
- Let the cookies cool COMPLETELY
- Place them onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Freeze until firm, about 2-3 hours. This step helps them not all still together when freezing!
- Place them into an air-tight container, label the freeze date and freeze for up to 3 months.
But, once you taste them, Iâ€™m willing to be you wonâ€™t need those steps.
Prediction: theyâ€™re going to be gone before you even need to refrigerate â€˜em ?
What are the Healthiest Chocolate Chips?
Organic Dark Chocolate chips are often the healthiest, as they have very little sugar in them. You can also look out for your favourite dairy free and sugar free chocolate chips in your local supermarket!
Other Healthy Cookie Recipes
- 2 1/4 Cups Whole wheat pastry flour (312g)
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Raw organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup Mashed avocado About 1 avocado (126g)
- 1/3 Cup Coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 large Egg
- 1 large Egg yolk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp Chocolate chips (can use dairy free)
- In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat pastry flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the mashed avocado, sugars, vanilla, egg and the egg yolk, with an electric mixer. Beat until well combined, and there is no lumps.
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the avocado mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips, and mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Place the bowl in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes
- Heat your oven to 325 degrees and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Use a cookie scoop to roll the dough into balls (lightly heaping out of the cookie scoop) and place onto the parchment paper. Press out just under 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 13 minutes. They will seem underdone, but that’s good! They cook a bit more on the sheet afterwards.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet COMPLETELY.
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 7 POINTS+: 4. OLD POINTS: 3
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!