It is so simple to make these Hard Boiled Eggs in the Microwave! No pots or boiling water required for this essential meal prep ingredient!
Why these are the BEST Eggs
Eggs are the ULTIMATE breakfast food choice. They are loaded with protein and vitamins D and B12, as well as healthy fats thanks to their delicious and nutritious yolks. If you like healthy deviled eggs with greek yogurt and air fryer hard boiled eggs, then you are going to want to know how to make hard boiled eggs in the microwave! YES, you heard it right- no boiling water on the stove top- the microwave is here to save the day. These eggs are easy to make and oh-so-versatile, making them an easy, healthy and tasty meal or snack anytime you need one!
Can you hard boil an egg in the microwave? YES, and it is SO easy! Now that we have cleared up the most asked question pertaining to this recipe, it is time to pull together everything you will need to make these microwave hard boiled eggs. Here is the short but sweet list of ingredients:
- Baking Soda
Why do Some Eggs Explode in the Microwave?
Eggs are made up of liquid that becomes solid when they are cooked. When in the microwave, the liquid begins to spontaneously boil, releasing considerable energy, and causing some of the eggs to explode!
How to cook Hard Boiled Eggs in microwave without explosion
Yes, eggs can be known to explode when microwaved. BUT did you know there are some little tricks to keep them whole and avoid that messy explosion?
You will want to use a bowl that is deep and fill it with water enough so that each egg can be fully submerged. Before adding the eggs, heat up the water so that it is very hot.
Adding salt and a pinch of baking soda to the water is an absolute MUST as it will also prevent the eggs from cracking and exploding! Once you have added both, mix gently, then slip each egg into the water.
Cook on high for 4 minutes, then let the eggs rest in the bowl for an additional 3 minutes.
Fill a bowl with ice and water and transfer the eggs into the ice bath for a couple of minutes.
Now its time to peel and enjoy your hard boiled eggs in microwave!
Tip and Tricks on Making Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs in Microwave
- Due to differences in microwaves, cooking time slightly varies. My microwave is 1000 watts and I cook them for 4 minutes or more depending on the number of eggs. Check the power of your microwave and place the timer accordingly.
- If you’re boiling four eggs, cook them for 4 minutes. If you add 2 more eggs to your bowl add another minute of cooking time.
- Use a microwave safe bowl and place the eggs in the hot water. Make sure the eggs are completely submerged in the water.
- Adding a 1/2 teaspoon of salt per egg is vital. The eggs will explode without the salt.
Other way to Boil Eggs
If you are still uncomfortable with the idea of boiling an egg in a microwave or your microwave stops working, you can use the following alternatives:
- Stovetop – The traditional and safest way of boiling an egg is the stovetop. Place eggs in a pot. Cover the eggs with water and wait until the water starts boiling. Boil the eggs for a good 15 minutes. Remove from the stove and let it sit for another 10 minutes. Run the eggs under cold water. Peel and enjoy.
- Oven – Preheat the oven to 325F. Place each egg in a cup of a muffin tin. Bake the eggs for 25-30 minutes. When the eggs are done cooking remove them from the oven, run the muffin tin with eggs in cold water. Peel and enjoy.
How to store Hard Boiled Eggs
Now that you have finished making your hard boiled eggs in the microwave, its time to eat them. If you have made a bunch for lunches and snacks throughout the week, you will want to store them so they stay fresh. I recommend placing the eggs in an airtight container with some paper towel at the bottom. Place the container in the fridge.
How long do Hard Boiled Eggs last in the fridge?
Hard boiled eggs are a FANTASTIC meal prep food because they last quite a while in the fridge. These eggs, when stored properly, will last up to 7 days in the fridge and will be ready to enjoy whenever you need a quick meal or snack!
More easy microwaveable recipes:
- microwave strawberry protein mug cake
- microwave peanut protein pancakes with chocolate chips
- coconut flour chocolate paleo mug cake
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- Fill a deep, microwave safe bowl with enough water to cover the eggs about 3/4 inches. Heat the water in the microwave until very hot, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in the salt (add 1/2 tsp salt per egg, so if you are cooking more eggs, add more salt) and just a pinch of baking soda and stir. Gently slide the eggs into the bowl.
- Microwave for 4 minutes (please note that time may vary depending on the power of your microwave – check article for details). Then, let stand in the water for 3 minutes.
- Fill a bowl with ice and cold water and slide the eggs in, letting stand for 2 mins.
- Peel and eat!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
For This Recipe, I recommend:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!