Just wanted to let you know that these garlic steak and potato foil packets are sponsored by my friends over at Redmond Real Salt!
These Steak Foil Packets are an easy, healthy and whole30 approved summer dinner with only 6 ingredients and 300 calories! Sure to be a crowd pleaser!
PIN Garlic Steak and Potato Foil Packets
Is it just me or does shoveling food from inside a steaming-hot foil packet INSTANTLY my brain that the SUMMER HAS ARRIVED?
It’s probably because Mama FFF made grilled foil pack dinners for us ALL THE TIME growing up. Sometimes we even had grilled cherry crisp for Dessert!
And now after making them on my own, I see why.
OH MY GOSH YOU GUYS. They are SO easy and, liiike, sososo YUMMAYYY.
From the super tender, slightly sweet and (seasoned!) salty potato that’s slathered in a rich and CREAMY ghee and infused with this underlying flavor of herb-y fresh thyme, to the JUICY morsels of keto steak with that GARLIC-y HUG, this steak and potatoes in foil is a summer dinner for the BOOKS.
Or for your face. Because books can’t eat.
BUT YOU SURE CAN.
One of the beauties of the foil pack meal is that you can eat it RIGHT out of the packet. Unlike making Mango Curry Steak or something like that, you have no dishes to wash A-N-D it makes some great camping food. You know, if you’re INTO THAT.
I’m trying to be, since being “one with nature” is all the rage and all that. But, real talk, if these garlic steak and potato foil packets were coming to the camping shindig, I would be SO much more down to go hang out among the trees for a few days.[click_to_tweet tweet=”Make these easy #whole30 garlic steak & potato foil packs for a #healthy summer dinner! @RealSalt” quote=”Make these easy #whole30 garlic steak & potato foil packs for a #healthy summer dinner! @RealSalt” theme=”style2″]
Because when is any kind of event not about GOOD FOOD?
And all the internet friends of the world said AMEN.
The key ingredient to making these butter garlic herb steak foil packets is Real Salt’s blend of AMAZING, seasoned salts!
Just when you finished munching your way through dairy free paleo fudge made with cashews and creamy basil pesto chicken pasta meal prep bowls, thinking their sea salt was BOMB.COM (‘cause IT IS) you’re about to have your salt-lovin’ MIND blown.
They also make Onion Season Salt, Garlic Season Salt and the classic Season Salt! We’re using the Season salt to add some jazzy-jazz flavor to the sweet potato and that heavy hit of punchy garlic on the steak. <– You could even get crazy and add a little onion action if that’s your THANG.
THEY ALSO MAKE FLAVORED PEPPERS! Do you remember the paleo baked zucchini fritters? SO GOOD.
How do you cook steak in foil packets?
There are a few pro-tips that you must learn when trying to cook steak in foil on the grill.
- Make sure you cut you steak 2 inches thick, and your potatoes ½ inch. If you don’t follow these guidelines, you won’t have even cooking.
IE: possibly CHEWY, overdone beef and undercooked, RAW potatoes.
IE, the sequel: BADBADBAD.
- If you like a less-done steak (like me!) pre-cook the potatoes in the microwave (or boil them) for just a FEW minutes until you can just pierce them with a fork.
- Use DOUBLE layers of tinfoil and double fold the ends to ensure all the juicy goodness stays in!
- Want a char on your beef? Open the packets up when they’re done (CAREFULLY) and throw the beef right on direct heat for a minute or so!
Look at you, grilling master.
You’re COMIN’ FOR ‘EM.
Other recipes you might like:
Garlic Steak and Potato Foil Packets
- 2 Medium Sweet potatoes (500g)
- 4 tsp Ghee, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp Real Salt Natural Season Salt
- 20 Sprigs Fresh thyme
- 1 Lb Top sirloin steak,* Trimmed and sliced into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tsp Real Salt Natural Garlic Salt
- Fresh chives, minced (for garnish)
- Pre-heat your grill for medium high heat. Cut 8, 12-inch pieces of tinfoil and make 4 layers of 2, making sure the shiny side is facing up.
- Slice the sweet potato into 1/2 inch thick slices, then quarter each slice.
For medium steak:
- Place the potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl and add a few Tbsp of water. Cover and microwave until the potatoes JUST begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Dry off well with a paper towel. (If you like your steak more well done, skip this step.)
- Toss the potatoes with the melted ghee until evenly coated. Then, toss with the season salt until well coated.
- Divide the potatoes in an even layer between the prepared tinfoil packets. Place 5 sprigs of Thyme on top.
- In a large bowl, toss the steak with the garlic salt. Divide the cubes on top of the sweet potatoes in a single layer.
- Fold the middles of the foil packets on top of each other (so the shiny sides are being folded in and not exposed.) Then double fold the ends in (one small fold, and then another small fold to make a packet.) Make sure to seal them very tight!
- Place on indirect heat on the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes for medium rare steak, or 10-15 for more done steak. I recommend checking after 8 minutes to see where your steak is at!
- Once cooked, CAREFULLY open the packets (they're hot!) and sprinkles fresh chives over.
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT REAL SALT. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
Stay in touch with Redmond Real Salt on social media for other tasty recipes:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 9 POINTS+: 7 . OLD POINTS:6
(per 1 packet (1/4 of the recipe.)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!