This quick and easy blanched asparagus recipe is marinated in a maple Dijon vinaigrette to make a perfect, healthy side dish that the whole family will love! Only 60 calories and 2 SmartPoints too!
Narrative and photos updated June 14/2017
’cause you know, as fun as cooking is, sometimes it isn’t. On those days, I want simplicity.
Simple but also delicious.
Oh, and fresh. Simple, delicious AND fresh.
I know, I demand a lot from my food.
This easy blanched asparagus recipe is all those things tied into a pretty package. Just kidding, there’s no actual pretty bow on them or anything.
Sorry to get your hopes up.
Not to mention the maple syrup gives it a hint of sweetness, while the red wine vinegar prevents it from being over the top and keep its balanced.
Plus, they’re green. Which means they are simple, delicious, fresh and healthy x 1000. MAJOR WIN.
Now, you MIGHT be wondering how do you blanch asparagus? Maybe this a new thing for you? BE EXCITED, because it is one of my most favorite ways to cook asparagus!
STEP 1: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Easy peasy. You GOT THIS.
STEP 2: Once boiling, add in the asparagus spears and cook them JUST until they turn bright green, which is about 2-3 minutes if your brain was also wondering how long to blanch asparagus.
All your asparagus blanching questions? ANSWERED.
FINALLY, once they are pretty and green, IMMEDIATELY drain the water and place the asparagus in a large bowl of ICE WATER (super cold is key) to H-A-L-T the cooking time.
BOOM. Just like that, your are a fancy, vegetable-cooking person who knows how to blanche vegetables.
Martha Stewart? She ain’t got NOTHIN’ ON YOU
- 2 Bunches of asparagus
- 2 1/2 tsps Red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Break the spears off the top of the asparagus and place into the water once it has boiled.
- Boil for 2-3 minutes until the asparagus has turned bright green,
- Quickly transfer the asparagus into a large bowl of ice water, to halt cooking.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- While the asparagus cools, mix together the red wine vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Once mixed, slowly mix in the olive oil.
- Dump the ice water out of the bowl of asparagus and add in the Dijon dressing, tossing until well combined.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 2 POINTS+: 2. OLD POINTS: 1
YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS! ????
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!