These Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas are an easy, healthy weeknight dinner that the whole family will love! Makes great leftovers too!
PIN Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas
Okay you guys, I love these.
Even more than I love all my other Mexican recipes. Considering we have a lot of them like low carb chicken enchiladas, Mexican quinoa casserole in the slow cooker and Mexican Shakshuka, that is saying A LOT.
Wasn’t even mad when I had to make 8 of them for pictures and eat them ALL BY MYSELF because Mr. FFF was gone for school.
Enchiladas for dinner every night is A okay with me when they taste this good!
Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas Ingredients
Ok people, I am CRAZY about Mexican food. I love the spices, I love the flavors, I love the flair. Mexican food is so delicious and so fun- it’s seriously the best party food! I love all things mexican, like my Grilled Mexican Quesadilla recipe and Cauliflower Tater tot casserole: Mexican style. Mexican salads can also be fun to add color and flavor to the plate, like Mexican Corn Salad with honey lime shrimp. Some Mexican food can be complicated to make with lots of intricate steps, and sometimes I just want my fix of Mexican deliciousness without the hassle. That’s where my crockpot swoops in and saves the day! These crockpot enchiladas are going to have you singing their praises, because they’re flavorful, they’re cheesy, and they’re super simple to make! For this recipe, you will need:
- Olive Oil
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Chili Powder
- Crushed Red Pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Shredded Chicken Breast
- Frozen corn kernels
- Whole wheat flour tortillas
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Cilantro, for garnish
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas
Heat the oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and stir until softened, which should take about a minute or two.
Put the fire roasted tomatoes into a food processer and blend until smooth.
To a large bowl, add the onions, garlic, tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, paprika, cumin, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
Make the Enchiladas
In the bottom of a tortilla, put about 2 tablespoons of the tomato mixture and spread it out with the back of a spoon. Top with a tablespoon of corn and about ¼ cup of the shredded chicken. Roll it up tightly and place in the bottom of a greased 7 quart slow cooker. Repeat with the other tortillas. They should all fit nice and snug in one layer in your slow cooker.
Pour the enchilada sauce over your enchiladas evenly, and top with the shredded cheese. Place a sheet of paper towel on top of the crock pot, then cover it with its lid. Cook the slow cooker enchiladas on low for 3-4 hours, or until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are soft.
Serve them onto plates, garnish with cilantro and EAT UP!
Chicken Enchilada FAQ
What kind of chicken should I use?
For these Crockpot Chicken Enchiladas, you really can use whatever type of cooked chicken you’d like! If you have leftover baked chicken on hand, that is a great option. My favorite is pulled rotisserie chicken!
What kind of tortilla should I use?
I recommend and prefer whole grain, high fibre tortillas but any whole grain tortillas that you like will work!
Can I make them gluten free?
Unfortunately, in this recipe you can not substitute gluten free tortillas for whole grain ones, as the gluten free ones will break down in the heat of the slow cooker.
Should I use fresh or frozen corn?
Either will work great! Just be sure to thaw the frozen corn if you choose to use it!
How to freeze Enchiladas
Freezing enchiladas is super simple and allows you to freeze in that delicious flavor to enjoy another time! Simple place the enchiladas in an airtight container, or cover them in a dish with saran wrap and aluminum foil over top. They can be frozen for up to three months!
Other Healthy Mexican Recipes
Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Cup Fire roasted tomatoes
- 6 Tbsp Salsa
- 1/2 tsp Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Cups Shredded chicken breast (I love rotisserie)
- 1/2 Cup Corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
- 8 8 Inch Whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 Cups Red Enchilada sauce
- 1 Cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium/high heat. Cook the chopped onion and garlic until soft, about 1-2 minutes.
- Place the fire roasted tomatoes in a small food processor (mine is 3 cups) and blend until well combined.
- Stir the blended tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, cumin, paprika and red pepper flakes, if using, into the onion mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take one tortilla and place 2 Tablespoons of the tomato sauce in a line along the bottom portion. Top with 1 Tablespoon of the thawed corn and 1/4 cup of shredded chicken. Roll up tightly and place in the bottom of a 7 quart slow cooker. Repeat with all tortillas - you should be able to fit them in one layer.
- Pour the enchilada sauce on top and sprinkle with cheese. Place a paper towel on the top of the slow cooker and then place the lid on. Cook on low for 3-4 hours until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are soft
- Garnish with cilantro and DEVOUR!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 8 POINTS+: 7 OLD POINTS: 6
(per 1 enchilada)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!