This Oven Baked Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast has an avocado salsa for a quick and easy, kid friendly dinner that’s paleo, keto and whole30 compliant!
PIN Oven Baked Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
Originally posted Oct 14/2013, Updated Jan 5/2018
Are you confused? “bacon on chicken, Taylor?” you say, “are you crazy?”
You already know the answer to that, so I am not addressing that part of the question.
However, poultry + pork = <3. My new favoritest meat combo EVER ever. Until next week when I make my newest favoritest ever. But, let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
It’s like this:
First, you spread on the roasted garlic. If you have never roasted garlic before you are missing.out.on.life.
It is so easy and makes ALMOST any meal over the top yummmm….ESPECIALLY some Parmesan Greek Yogurt Dip! Orrrr, spreading it on avocado toast and adding an egg. Been doing that ALL THE TIME LATELY.
ALSO, if you want to make this already-so-easy-dinner (that is paleo and whole30 compliant!) even EASIER, you COULD omit the roasted garlic in the name of time saving when making chicken wrapped in bacon. ORRRR, you could DIG deep into your inner very-prepared-person SOUL and prep the roasted garlic AHEAD of time. <–make it the night BEFORE, so it’s ready to go when you wanna EAT.
Also, the sequel: if you do this when making this bacon wrapped chicken recipe, you should roasted 2 heads of garlic so that you have garlic on hand to make aforementioned avocado egg toast with it all week long. SRSLY that is going to change your life!
Secondly, you wrap the chicken ALL up in smooth, salty and ADDICTING bacon (Real talk: we all know that anything bacon is delish) and bake it a RLY RLY HIGH HEAT. Make sure you put a cookie sheet underneath so all the bacon-y drippings don’t hit your oven and EXPLODE IT.
When is probably an exaggeration, but do you really want to risk something like that, YOU KNOW?
Bacon + chicken + cooking at ULTRA HIGH heat = the outside of your chicken is wrapped in a crispy, crunchy, perfectly salty hug. None of that “limp and chewy” bacon that happens when it’s not cooked enough. Have you ever gone out for breakfast and had them serve you THAT?
SO NOT YUM.
Let’s talk about the actual chicken breast too. It stays so juicy and tender as it is has the bacon to protect it from direct heat. like a little pork-y shield…and some of that delicious bacon fat kinda coats the outside of the chicken in MORE BACON GOODNESS.
I’ve never met a chicken breast recipe that doesn’t like a) to be shielded from being scorched and b) hugs.
So, basically you’ve got one happy oven baked bacon wrapped chicken breast.
And, happy food is good food.
Then, the avocado salsa arrives at the party. It has a creamy texture that perfectly balances out the crispy, salty and RICH bacon, and the tomatoes hit it with the perfect pop of freshness and a LITTLE bit of acid.
Plus, it is just super duper easy and you could put it on SO MANY THINGS.
I was originally going to puree the salsa into a sauce for this oven baked bacon wrapped chicken breast, but then logic actually got the better of me for once. Avocado + tomato + blender = thick, green, chunky, looks-like-chicken-just-went-swimming-with-swamp-people sauce.
And that is a chicken wrapped in bacon recipe that is noooooot so yummy.
Moral of the whole story?
Meat squared = winner winner chicken dinner.
For the chicken:
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 Head of garlic
- 2 Chicken breasts (4oz each)
- 2 Slices Whole30 compliant bacon
For the salsa:
- 1/2 An avocado, diced
- 1/4 Cup Tomato, diced
- 3 Tbsp Red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsps Green onion, sliced
- 1 tsp White wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel away the extra, papery skin from the garlic and cut off the end, leaving the garlic head intact, but the tips exposed.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, rubbing it into the garlic, and wrap tightly. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the cloves are soft.
- Once the garlic is done, take it out of the tinfoil and squeeze half of cloves out of its skin and put them in a small bowl.
- Mash the garlic up into a paste, and spread it evenly on top of each chicken breast. Save the rest of the garlic for something else!
- Take one piece of bacon and wrap it around a chicken breast. Repeat with the additional breast.
- Place a cooling rack on top of a tinfoil-lined cookie sheet and place the chicken breasts on the cooling rack. Bake until the chicken is 165 degrees F and the bacon is crispy, about 25-30 mins. Then turn your oven to HIGH broil and cook until the bacon is very crispy 2-5 minutes. Watch closely as it can burn fast!
- While the chicken bakes, mix all the salsa ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the chicken is cooked, divide the avocado salsa evenly on top of each breast and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 6 POINTS+: 6. OLD POINTS: 5
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment