Just letting you know that this multi-colored berry-licious cake is sponsored by my friends over at Driscoll’s! The makers of fresh, juicy and delicious berries!
This light and fluffy paleo cake has fresh, juicy blueberries and raspberry coconut whipped cream! It’s a healthier, gluten free dessert that’s perfect for summer!
A DOUBLE layer of tender cake, juicy bursts of fresh blueberries and CRAZY amazing, luscious raspberry coconut whipped cream.
ON A MONDAY.
Hungry “how-we-gonna-get-through-Monday” thinking people all over the world REJOICE.
You know what they say right? If you’re going to be forced to start the week, start it STRONG.
Which you and I both know is secret food-loving-person code for “2 slices of gluten free cake for me please”
In other news, you know that recipe that you have in your back pocket to whip out when you want to be impressive?
THIS is THAT recipe.
You those people who are, liiike, ULTRA fancy and serve pretty, layered cakes when guests enter the scene of their home?
YOU are THAT person. (!!!)
You know what though? These layers of light, airy coconut-scented cake, with its bursts of zesty lemon, sweet blueberries and tangy raspberries is SO crazy good that I think it might even be appropriate to be an ultra-fancy, cake-baking person even if it’s just yourself that you’re having dinner with.
Maybe cake IS dinner?
We’ve had multiple paleo layer cakes on FFF before: paleo german chocolate cake and mint paleo gluten free chocolate cake, so you know that my layer-cake <3 <3 <3 runs deep. Therefore, there will be no judgement at your dinner choices. I won’t tell a SOUL.
Besides the fact that we are getting SUPER swanky on this lovely start-of-the-week day, we are going to get EQUALLY excited about the fact that there are not 1, but TWO kinds of berries in this summer-fresh little slice of heaven.[Tweet “Celebrate summer with a slice of #Paleo Blueberry Raspberry Cake! @Driscollsberry #FinestBerries”]
We’ve got some MASSIVE, sweet and just all around PERFECT Driscoll’s blueberries mixed right IN the cake batter (and grown in Washington. REPRESENT!) PLUS PLUS PLUS Driscoll’s sweet and tangy raspberries are blended straight up into the coconut whipped cream frosting/filling shenanigans that has got this cake like WHOA. SO YUMMY RIGHT NOW.
Also equally WHOA. SO PRETTY RIGHT NOW.
Liiiike, vibrant, rich, dark blue pops of deliciousness nestled among the pale-colored cake. AND creamy, soft pink layers that hug each bite of food bliss, and melt your hungry-heart in the way that only a mouthful of the world’s most magical sweet cake-creation can do.
Pro tip: Cake + additional munchin’ of extra Driscoll’s berries = in your mouth at the same time. <– Good life choices happening.
I’m setting strong goals for what happens inside your tummy when your taste buds tingle with berry-licious bursts. BUT, I feel VRY VRY strongly that this pretty little thing is going to EXCEED THEM.
AND make your eyeballs RLLY RLLY happy at the same time.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. You are nervous because you DO have dreams of being that ultra-fancy kinda person who does try to whip up a (gluten, grain AND dairy free!) cake the next time those people that you want to impress come over. BUT, there are fears BIGGER than your dreams that tell you that any kind of cake that requires BOTH multi-layered, steady-handed stacking skills AND the ability to spread frosting SMOOTHLY on aforementioned layers is just outside of your repertoire of general food creation abilities.
I have a true confession about my real life to tell you too-afraid-to-set-cake-goals people.
I burned toast yesterday.
Like, I make a living creating food. And I BURNED TOAST.
If I can create THIS glorious treat that could possibly even be the pinnacle of perfect food that has been created to eat on this earth, then SO CAN YOU.
There IS going to THAT moment when you transform from cake-making caterpillar into beautiful-healthy-delicious food making BUTTERFLY.
GRAB HOLD OF YOUR DESTINY. <– Not even being overly dramatic.
Okay. Maybe just a little.
Blueberry Paleo Cake with Raspberry Coconut Cream
This light and fluffy paleo cake has fresh, juicy blueberries and raspberry coconut whipped cream! It's a healthier, gluten free dessert that's perfect for summer!
For the cake:
- 1/4 Cup Coconut oil melted
- 1/4 Cup Coconut sugar
- 3/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Honey
- 6 Large eggs separated (at room temperature)
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Lemon zest very firmly packed (about 2 medium lemons)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh lemon juice about 2 medium lemons
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 Cup Tapioca starch 90g
- 3/4 Cup Coconut flour sifted (66g) + 2 tsp, divided
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1 ounces package Driscoll’s Blueberries divided, 6 each or 1 1/4 Cups
For the frosting:
- 1 Can Coconut cream (just the cream part not including the liquid)
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 1/2 ounces packages Driscoll’s Raspberries + additional for garnish 6 each or 1 3/4 Cups
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper, generously rubbing coconut oil up the sides of them. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together the melted coconut oil and coconut sugar until well combined. Add in the honey, egg yolks (make sure you've separate the whites into a different, large bowl) lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla and beat again until combined, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- In a separate, small bowl, stir together the tapioca starch, 3/4 cup of the coconut flour (reserving the rest for later), the baking soda and sea salt.
- Gently stir it into the wet ingredients until just combined. Then, beat until smooth and fully combined, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Wash and dry your beaters VERY well. Then, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, about 4 minutes.
- Gently place the whipped egg whites into the bowl with the cake batter and GENTLY fold them into the batter until no white streaks remain.
- In a separate, small bowl, toss 1 cup of the blueberries (reserving the rest for garnish) with the remaining coconut flour. Add them into the cake batter (along with any of the coconut flour that doesn't stick to the berries) and gently fold in.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans evenly, gently spreading the blueberries out so they're evenly divided across the cake.
- Bake until golden brown and the a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Then, gently run a sharp knife around the sides of each pan and turn out onto wire racks to cool completely - at least 1.5 hours.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, beat together the coconut cream, honey and raspberries until smooth and creamy. Make sure the raspberries are nice and blended into the cream.
- Place one cake layer, bottom side up, onto a cake stand. Spread a heaping 1/2 cup of the coconut cream on top evenly. Gently place the second layer on top.
- Using an offset spatula, spread a thin layers of cream on the top and sides of cake. It doesn't need to be super thick, just enough to smoothly cover the cake. This is the crumb coat.
- Place both the cake and the frosting into the refrigerator to set for 1 hour.
- Once set, use the remaining frosting to cover the top and sides of the cake. Place back into the refrigerator to set another hour.
- Garnish with extra berries, slice and DEVOUR
Prep time does not include chilling time which is a total of an additional 4 hours
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfit
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT DRISCOLL’S. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
And, don’t forget to enter for a chance to win Dricoll’s Sweetest Berry Sweepstakes! Click HERE for all the deets!
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: SmartPoints: 15 Points+: 8. Old Points: 6
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more paleo berry-licious desserts?