This Basil Spinach Pesto Recipe is an easy, delicious way to add flavor and superfoods to your meal! Naturally gluten free, low carb and healthy!
PIN Basil Spinach Pesto Recipe
Is it just me or is the pesto the most magical sauce on the face of the Earth?
Whether you go traditional or get a little crazy with some broccoli pesto, It’s seriously delicious just by the spoonful but you can also put it on chicken Pesto spaghetti squash, chicken pesto sandwiches or pesto egg white omelets to add a little pizzaz.
You can even get creative and make kale pesto or cilantro pesto OR use spinach like we did today!
You guys, the flavors of this pesto are SO robust. SO smooth but salty and toasty and RICH and cheesy and, UGH, just SO GOOD.
Is Pesto Healthy?
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE me some pesto. It has an intensely delicious flavor that packs a punch! Pesto can be used in so many cooked dishes and also as a spread in place of mayo and other sauces. If you can’t tell, I’m SUCH a fan and this spinach pesto recipe is one of my absolute faves! Pesto is a healthy and nourishing choice as it involves the superfood spinach, as well as basil, to bring life and flavor to your food!
Spinach Basil Pesto Ingredients
This incredible spinach pesto sauce is a keeper because it uses wholesome, healthy ingredients and blends into a delicious spread that you will adore! You may already have many of these items on hand in your fridge at home! Here’s what you’ll need to round up before we get started:
- Pine Nuts
- Baby Spinach
- Basil Leaves
- Lemon Zest
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Garlic
- Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
How to Make Basil Spinach Pesto
Now that we’ve rounded up all the ingredients it takes to make this deliciousness, let’s get started. It’s going to surprise you how SIMPLE it is to make this spinach pesto!
Set your oven to 350 degrees and allow it to fully preheat. Spread the pine nuts out evenly on a large baking sheet. Pop it in the oven and toast the pine nuts for about 4-8 minutes, or until golden brown and toasted.
Add the pine nuts to a food processer and process until they are broken down well. Next, add in the spinach and basil and process again until it is well blended. Next, add in the lemon zest and juice and blend again. Finally, add in the garlic, parmesan cheese, and salt.
With the food processer running, carefully stream in the olive oil.
Scoop the pesto into an airtight container with a rubber spatula. Feel free to DEVOUR immediately, or store in the fridge!
What do you use Pesto for?
Once you’ve whipped up a batch of this amazing pesto, you might be wondering what to use it on. Well, the better question to ask yourself is what you will use it on FIRST! There are endless ways to use this pesto so go ahead and get creative with it. Here are a couple of my favorite ways to use pesto:
- Sandwiches: Pesto can be a great alternative to mayo and other sauces on your favorite sandwich. Add it onto a Superfood Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwich or a Mexican Avocado Spread with Sprouts!
- Pasta: Substitute THIS pesto into my Creamy Basil Pesto Chicken Pasta Meal Prep Bowls– these are SO great as a lunch on the go
How long can you store Pesto?
If you’ve made an extra large batch of pesto on purpose, or if you’ve got leftovers you didn’t anticipate, you’re in luck! Pesto actually keeps well in the fridge, as long as it’s stored in an airtight container, for up to a week!
Other Healthy Pesto Recipes
Indian Spiced Chicken with Cashew Cilantro Pesto
Keto Pork Tenderloin with Pistachio Pesto
Pesto Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- 1/2 Cup Pine nuts
- 2 Cups Baby spinach, Tightly packed
- 1 Cup Basil leaves, lightly packed
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 1 tsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp Fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 Cup Olive oil
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees and spread the pine nuts on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and toasted, about 4-8 minutes.
- Transfer the pine nuts into a large food processor and process until broken down. Add the spinch and basil and process until broken down. Add in the lemon zest and juice and process again. Finally, add in the Parmesan, garlic and salt
- With the food processor running, stream in the olive oil until combined.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and store in the fridge for about a week or devour immediately!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment