This sugar cookie recipe makes the softest, chewiest cookies! They’re stuffed with pumpkin cheesecake and are a pumpkin lovers dream!
I know. I KNOW. Another random Sunday post.
I try to stay away from working on this day because The Bible says to keep it a day of rest. So, I listen.
HOW-EV-ER. It’s National Pumpkin Day Ya’ll! I just couldn’t let that one slide by without a celebration.
I also love a good reason to make any kind of sugar cookies recipe…..and I am betting my boots that you do too.
And, if you don’t, WHO ARE YOU?
Sidenote: Ever since starting to blog full-time, I RARELY leave the house. This means that I am not wearing aforementioned boots to bet. IF I am betting something that I am not currently wearing, how valid can that bet really be?
Are you confused? Me too.
Let’s just say “I bet my slippers” and move on ok? Awesome.
THIS SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE. These soft-spicy-innocent looking cookies that knock your taste buds RIGHT OFF your FACE when you bite into the surprise healthy pumpkin cheesecake center. <— Commence mouth watering.
I am not even mad at them for separating my taste buds from my face. I didn’t need them anyway.
I’ll die a happy-lacking-in-the-taste-bud-department women if it means getting to slip into cheesecake cookie induced comas for all the evers that I left on this earth.
Remember how I admitted to throwing away leftover Skillet healthy chocolate chip cookie cake and covering it with coffee grinds, just so I would stop picking pieces out of the garbage?
Well, you’re looking at the sequel.
EXCEPT, this time, I didn’t throw none of those old coffee grounds on top. You know why?
Because sometimes you just KNOW you’re going to eat straight outta the can no matter WHAT because you have the willpower of a ghost (not existing = no willpower) so you may as well make it taste gosh darn GUUUD. (Too busy wanting to stuff my face to worry about proper English. You understand.)
That’s right. I COMMITTED to my pick..pick…picking.
No shame. Zero. Zip .ZILCH. Insert whatever word that means NONE here.
Now, I usually try to not boss you around too much, but this sugar cookie recipes requires some slipping into my big-girl-bossy-pants.
You need these. Like I won’t be your friend anymore if you don’t make them kind of need.
I’m joking. But I will judge you, look at you funny and question your life choices.
You know what to do.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Filled Sugar Cookies
- For the cheesecake filling:
- 1/4 Cup Reduced-fat Cream cheese Not fat free
- 1 Tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp Light brown sugar packed
- 2 Tbsp Pure canned pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- For the cookies:
- 1 1/2 Cups White whole wheat flour 7 oz
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 Cup Un-salted butter melted *
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Dark brown sugar packed
- 1 Egg at room temperature
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- For rolling:
- 3 Tbsp Granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, and beat until well mixed.
- Line a baking sheet[/url] with a[url href=http://amzn.to/1j6XKFp target=_blank rel=nofollow]silpat(or parchment paper) and drop the filling onto it in 1/2 tsp-sized balls. Place the tray into the freezer for at least and hour and a half.
- Once the filling is frozen, Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the flour, salt, cornstarch, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl, beat together the melted butter, granulated sugar and dark brown sugar, using an electric hand mixer, until light and fluffy. Make sure there are no lumps in your brown sugar!
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and beat again until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until it forms a wet dough. **
- Take the filling dots out from the freezer.*** and mix together the remaining granulated sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a small plate.
- Drop the cookie dough onto the cookie sheet in 1 Tbsp-sized balls. Break each ball in half and place a cheesecake dot in the center, and then roll the cookie dough around it. **** Roll the whole ball in the sugar mixture and place on the cookie sheet, just flattening slightly. You want the cookies taller than they are wide, so they are big and soft! Repeat until all the cookies are done. Place into the freezer for 2 hours.
- Once the cookies have been frozen, preheat your oven to 350 degrees and stick them immediately into the oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the outsides feel just set. The cookies will feel very soft and under baked, but they firm up a lot once cooled!
- Let them cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rackto finish cooling.
Recipe NotesWe also really liked these with browned butter, as they have a nuttier taste this way. To brown butter just melt it in a sauce pan over medium heat, stirring frequently until it turns a light golden brown. It goes from brown to burnt fast, so watch it closely!
*If your use the butter immediately after melting, and it is hot, your dough me a little too stick to form into balls right away. If this happens, just stick it in the fridge for 20 mins before stuffing with the cheesecake centers!
*** I recommend taking only half out at a time, so they don't melt while you are rolling the cookies!
**** You will have a couple left over cheesecake dots. Aw shucks 😉
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTRAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS! 🙂
More pumpkin fo’ yo’ face:
Don’t miss the Pumpkin-filled goodness from other bloggers as we all join together to help celebrate National Pumpkin Day!
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chip Pumpkin Biscotti from Happy Food Healthy Life
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Brownies from It’s Yummy
Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars from The Redhead Baker
Light Pumpkin Cookies w/Cream Cheese Frosting from Food Done Light
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies w/ Spicy Spiked Chocolate Filling from A Cookie Named Desire
Caramel Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls – Lady Behind the Curtain
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!