This hearty and healthy Vegan Coconut Curry Lentil Soup is SO easy and loaded with spicy flavor! A perfect gluten, dairy and egg free cozy fall dinner!
PIN Vegan Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
What a spicy and hearty bowl of SLURPETY goodness I am about to feed your hungry mouth.
Secret for you: I have never had lentil soup. I don’t why I keep telling you that I have no eaten normal things (like that time I told you I had never had paleo sweet potato casserole) because one day you are just going to stop trusting me and never come back. But, I digress.
I had never had it but I knew I LOVED lentils. I’m all about my Caribbean cold lentil salad for a good lunch or Mexican lentil homemade hummus when I’m feeling snacky.
So lentil soup time? YES IT WAS. And, BOY OH BOY. this is hands down one of my favorite soup recipes EVER.
It’s a little but spicy but also a little bit sweet and it’s loaded with veggies (FIBER!) and these smoky tomatoes that pair with the creamy coconut milk in a way that just might make your taste buds fall RIGHT OFF your head.
Pro tip: eat it with a grilled cheese sandwich. Sounds odd, I KNOW. BUT it’s SO good.
Health Benefits of Lentils
Like I said before, I am such a fan of lentils. I mean, I love to throw lentils in pretty much anything, like my creamy peanut spinach lentils or grilled mexican quesadilla recipe with lentils. They add so much texture and deliciousness to TONS of recipes, but did you know that they also are super healthy? Here’s a few more reasons to incorporate more lentils into your diet:
- Digestion: There is so much dietary fiber in lentils, aiding in digestion and preventing constipation.
- Heart Health: Lentils are a great source of folate and magnesium, which are great to keep your heart healthy. Eating high fiber foods like lentils can also prevent heart disease.
- Protein Rich: Lentils are high in protein, making them a great alternative to meat for vegans and vegetarians.
- Lower Cholesterol: Keeping your arteries clean is important in terms of avoiding heart disease, and lentils can aid in keeping your cholesterol low.
Vegan Curry Lentil Soup Ingredients
I love a good, hearty soup anytime of year. Of course soup is a go-to when you want to keep cozy on those chilly fall and cold winter days, but I enjoy it all year round! Whip up a pot of this coconut curry lentil soup on a rainy summer day and you won’t regret it! It uses wholesome, good-for-you ingredients that you’ll feel good about! Here’s what you will need:
- Coconut Oil
- Bell Pepper
- Yellow Curry Powder
- Fresh Garlic
- Coconut Sugar
- Fresh Ginger
- Sodium Reduced Vegetable Broth
- Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Green Lentils
- Full Fat Coconut Milk
How to make Curry Lentil Soup
Heat some oil in a large pot and add in the carrots, bell peppers and onions. Cook them, stirring frequently, until the veggies begin to soften.
Add in the curry powder, garlic, coconut sugar, salt, and ginger and cook for a bit. Then, stir in the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and lentils and bring the mixture to a boil. Next, reduce the heat to low and allow the soup to simmer for a while.
Remove a bit of soup from the pot and blend it up in the blender. Add it back to the pot of soup, along with the coconut milk and cilantro.
Serve up this soup and enjoy!
Curry Lentil Soup Recipe FAQs
- What kind of lentils should I use for coconut lentil soup?
For this delicious soup recipe, I recommend using green lentils. There is no need to soak them before cooking, which I love because they are able to soften down as you cook them into the soup.
- Are lentils gluten free?
YES! Green lentils are naturally gluten free, making this soup a great choice for those with gluten intolerance. They have a mild flavor that pairs well with all sorts of spices and bold flavors.
- What’s the best coconut milk for curry soup?
I recommend using full fat coconut milk when you cook up a pot of this soup. The full fat is important as it brings more richness and flavor to your soup.
- Can you freeze lentil soup?
If you want to double batch this recipe or save leftovers for another time, you’re in luck! This soup freezes really well. Simply store it in a freezer safe airtight container and thaw when you’re ready to enjoy it!
Other Healthy Soup Recipes
Easy Homemade Vegetable Crockpot Soup
Coconut Curry Soup with Sweet Potato Noodles
Dairy Free Vegan Cauliflower Soup
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Cup Carrots, sliced
- 1 Bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 Cup Onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp Yellow curry powder
- 1 Tbsp Fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Coconut sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Fresh ginger, minced
- 4 Cups Vegetable broth
- 1 Can Fire roasted diced tomatoes (14oz)
- 1 Cup Green lentils
- 2/3 Cup Canned full fat coconut milk
- 2/3 Cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add in the carrots, pepper and onion and cook until they just begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the curry powder, garlic, coconut sugar, salt and ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Then, stir in the vegetable broth, tomatoes and lentils. Bring to a boil. Then cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer, leaving the lid slightly ajar, for 25 minutes, or until the lentils and tender.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Stir into the soup, along with the coconut milk and cilantro.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment