These Purple Mashed Potatoes are a deliciously colorful take on a classic! Creamy, buttery, and purple! Everyone will love them!
Table of Contents
Why you will LOVE This Recipe
If you think like me, you probably agree that FALL and POTATOES go hand in hand. They’re carb-y, they are rich, they are filling, and the BEST comfort food for those chilly fall days. I’m a potato fiend and love them every which way, hence my many potato recipes- instant pot boiled potatoes and dairy free mashed potatoes, just to throw out a couple. Today’s recipe brings potatoes to the next level because they are rich, fluffy, scrumptious, and they are also PURPLE! That’s right, even the pickiest of eaters will be drawn to this fun and colorful mashed purple sweet potato recipe.
Are Purple Potatoes good for you?
A rule of thumb in the land of fruits and veggies is that if they have a deep color, they often have high nutritional value! It’s no different when it comes to the potatoes in this purple mashed potatoes recipe– purple potatoes are highly nutritious, containing manganese, copper, iron, potassium, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. They are also high in fiber and have some protein, as well!
Making your own pot of mashed purple sweet potatoes is really easy, and you’re going to love the ingredients list too, as it’s short and sweet. Here’s what you will need to make them:
- Purple Potatoes
- Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 2% Milk or Almond Milk
How to make Purple Mashed Potatoes
Place the potatoes in a large pot, covering them a bit with cold water. Add the salt to the pot and stir. Bring the pot of potatoes to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the temperature slightly and cook until they are fork tender.
Drain the water from the potatoes and then mash them with a potato masher or potato ricer.
In a pan, melt the butter with the cream cheese. Add in the milk to heat it up as well. Add the melted mixture to your pot of potatoes and stir until well combined and fluffy.
Serve up your potatoes as desired and enjoy!
Top Tips for making Mashed Potatoes
- Make sure they are boiled enough: Your potatoes are ready to mash once they are VERY easily pierced with a fork. Make sure they are cooked enough to avoid lumpy potatoes.
- Use a potato ricer: A ricer is a fantastic tool because it won’t overwork your potatoes, but will make them perfectly smooth and fluffy!
- Don’t overmash: Don’t overmash your potatoes as it will affect the texture!
How to serve Purple Mashed Potatoes
You are free to get creative with this! I recommend serving purple potatoes any way you would normally enjoy them- alongside a delicious coffee rubbed steak would be delicious, or with a Thansgiving turkey with some cumin roasted carrots on the side!
more delicious potato recipes
- 4 Lbs Purple Potatoes, cut into quarters or halves if they are small potatoes
- 2 tsp Salt + more to taste
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Full-fat cream cheese
- 1 3/4-2 Cups 2% Milk or almond milk
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water so the potatoes are covered about 1 inch. Add the salt into the pot and stir.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat slightly and cook until the potatoes are very easily pierced with a fork – about 20-25 mins.
- Once cooked, drain the water and mash the potatoes well with a potato masher or a potato ricer. I strongly recommend a ricer otherwise it's very easy to overwork the potatoes.
- Melt the butter and cream cheese in a small pan on medium heat (the cream cheese won't fully melt) adding the milk as well so it heats up. I recommend starting with 1 3/4 cup milk then if you want/need more, heat it up before adding
- Once the butter is melted, stir the butter, cream cheese and milk mixture into the potatoes until fluffy.
- Season to taste with salt (I like 2-3 tsp) and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
For This Recipe, I recommend:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!